“Very Good Hostel! Could be better for the shower room.”

Generator Hostel London
Ranked #39 of 923 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I spent 4 nights in Generator, the reception is efficient and nice, the room and bed are clean, and the staff are all friendly. I like the security guys saying hello to me every morning when I went out. The location is extremely great, within 5 minutes walk to the underground and within 15 minutes to the British Museum. I usually went back after 10pm and I think the area is quite and safe. The interior decor is great, I took photos at every floor.
I lived in the 4th floor and the 2 of the shower is broken I think. The wifi is easy to access (I use iphone), the power socket is very enough. Don't forget to bring the adapter and the dryer.
Most guests here are young people among 20-30s, people who stay here get to know each other easily.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Hello Ujohn300,

Thanks for leaving your comments after your stay with us at Generator London

It’s great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that we have managed to meet your expectations during your time with us. Also great to hear your feedback on our Team.

We really hope to welcome you back again for your next trip to London.

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two weeks. The hostel has a great industrial vibe, with nice chill out spaces and a cool bar. We stayed in a quad dorm which was clean and modern. There is also a considerable security force outside at night so the place feels very safe. Unfortunately the bathrooms were not so great. You have to leave your stuff outside the shower and one of the toilets on our level had no seat and my friend said the lady's toilets had no working sinks. If the bathrooms were better this would be an excellent hostel.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Hey Ben H,

Thanks for your feedback after your recent stay.

I have already passed on your information about the bathrooms to our maintenance team so they can resolve the maintenance points, and would like to thank you for letting us know. Apologies for any inconvenience this caused.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay though and that you felt the room was clean and modern. I have also passed your comments on to the Team regarding security, thanks for this.

Of course we would love to see you and your friends back in the near future, and thank you once again for choosing Generator London for such a long stay and as your base for your London adventures.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I came to the London Generator on May 27th and stayed for ten days with a large group of my classmates for a short term study abroad. To say that it was an amazing experience doesn't do it justice. The hostel was very aesthetically appealing with bright interior decor and a lovely historic looking exterior design. The location was fantastic, we were a very short walk away from Russell Square and Kings Cross stations, as well as many restaurants and pubs. The rooms were very nice, I stayed in a four person room and though it was a little cramped, it didn't even matter because no one wanted to stay in their rooms; everyone congregated downstairs! I have never been to a hotel or hostel where I have really enjoyed hanging out in the lobby, but all of my classmates and I did every night! The front bar/food area staff was very friendly and it was easy to chat with them! They seemed genuinely interested in my life and my studies. One who was particularly great was from Australia and we instantly bonded once he found out my name was Sydney, he was a delight! The food was great and so were the drinks and all of the staff as well, but most importantly, the security staff was amazing. My parents biggest fear with me coming from the states to the UK without them was that I wasn't going to be safe, right upon arrival their worries diminished. The front door of The Generator has security by it pretty much 24/7 and the security guards are always around, we're always there to open the door for me and to greet me kindly. The night security staff was really top notch. The Generator is set back behind a small alleyway, but to get back to the door you must show the security personnel your room card. Once past the small alleyway you meet another one or two security members and they greet you as well. Once inside the hostel there are more floating around; some inside the bar, others walking the halls and checking things out. One security staff member that was fantastic was named something that sounds like Phoebe; Vibe or Vebi? However, my best friend and I fondly referred to him as Albania since that was his country of origin. He was so kind and fun to be around and he really made the evenings there fun. Not only was he a sweetheart, but he made me feel extremely safe and comfortable. He had a sense of humor and we shared the same hindrance of OCD. Overall, he is the one staff member that I miss most of all after leaving just yesterday. I will miss having him around and making funny comments to me, or talking about our lives and how funny some of the other guests were. My overall experience of The London Generator was fantastic thanks to the awesome staff and I cannot wait for my next Generator London experience, and yes, there will be a next time!

• Stayed: May 2014

Hey Sydney_prickett13,

Wow this is an amazing review! Thank you so much.

The whole Team here are going to be so thrilled to have such great feedback and I will personally ensure the two staff members you have mentioned know that they have made such a difference to your stay. We are very delighted you felt safe and secure on your first visit to London Town.

All I can say Sydney is we look forward to welcoming you again to Generator London, and please share these amazing stories with all your friends.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Good location near King's Cross and Russell Square; good vibe for youngsters in the evening; showers lousy - no place to put your stuff; drinks expensive (cheapest is Fosters on special, but only for short time), my son moved on to Berlin and pays 1 Euro at his hostel for a beer, breakfast seems to be the same every day, extended booking for three nights and got whacked much higher price than first three nights, they charge for extras wherever they can - look around at other options, would not advise over 30s to stay here, beds comfortable, but upper bunks make a noise when people turn over etc.

Room Tip: fifth floor - away from reception, music etc.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CityLodgeJHB

Hello CityLodgeJHB,

Thank you for taking some time to share your feedback after your recent stay at Generator London!
I’m sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations on some of the points during your stay.

Alcohol sale in the UK is much stricter than other European countries and as such we have to sell under the responsible service of Alcohol system, which is why sadly we cannot sell you a pint for £1.00

Its great to know that the transport links in the area were good for you and that you enjoyed the vibe.

I hope to be able to personally welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Thanks again for your comments

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I went to this hostel because I very much liked the Generator in Berlin.
It is not as well located, not such a good price and not so good in general.
The breakfast though, was a bit better.
Anyway, London is expensive, so it is still good for it's value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Hey VictorRp1982,

Thank you for your feedback, I will be sure to pass this on to the Team.

Hopefully we will see you in London again soon.

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hostel is in an excellent location, just off Russell Square, close to rail terminals for North of England and only 15/20 mins walk from Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street and Covent Garden. A few pubs and restaurants nearby also. The hostel is welcoming, well decorated and whilst rooms are basic in facilities, (the price reflects this absolutely, this was a bargain!) they are clean, spacious and well presented as are the shared bathroom and toilet facilities.

We did have a major issue with sound whilst staying at the hostel. The hotel has a bar area on the ground floor, our room was on the third floor directly above it. We were staying at the hostel as we had a flight at 6am from Stansted, needing to be up at 2:45am to make our way there. We went to bed at 10:30pm, but couldn't get to sleep because of the dull thud of base (music) from the bar area a couple of floors below. We gave this until 11pm.

At 11pm, I approached reception to explain we couldn't sleep and the receptionist happily telephoned through to the bar to ask them to switch the music down. I returned to bed and after 15 mins, two of the hotel staff came to listen in the room, acknowledging the dull thud of base audible in the room. They also stated that they would ask the bar to turn the music down.

Unfortunately, the dull thud, thud, thud of base was still audible at 11:30pm and I went down to reception again. I waited 10 minutes or so for the two members of staff who had earlier visited the room. One of these was the duty manager or supervisor, I think. He explained to me that the hostel was advertised with a bar area, essentially stated that some noise could be expected and also that he would practically have to turn the music completely off. I politely pointed out that it can't be a very good design of hostel for me to be able to hear this constant thud of base, that I couldn't have been the only one to have raised this, that their primary function was surely to provide people with a good night's sleep and that at nearly midnight, it was not an unreasonable expectation to be able to sleep.

At midnight, he acknowledged we could move rooms, away from the area of the bar. The new room we moved to was again spacious and pleasant. However, this time it was at the front of the building, directly above the area reserved for smokers, so for the duration of the not quite three hours sleep we had remaining, we were woken intermittently by lots from people making noise in that area, including one of the security guards joining in, rather than stemming the noise (at 2am!) to allow people who wished to sleep to do so.

I am a regular reviewer on Trip Advisor and am very objective and fair with my views I think. I think this is only the second review (of many) I have left with any significant negative feedback and often get exasperated with people who pay little and expect lots. This hostel could be really, rally excellent and lots of aspects are. Unfortunately, some consideration to how different guests' needs are managed is required. This was the worst night's sleep in any hostel, hotel or guest house I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area and possibly at the back of the hostel
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MG100_10

Hey there MG100_10,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us after your recent stay with us.
Firstly can I say that I’m pleased you enjoyed the concept and understand what we are aiming to achieve with our property here in London.

Your feedback with regards to the noise from the bar is well received, and I have already held several discussions with our events coordinator and Duty Management team to try and ensure we do not have similar situations in the future.

I am pleased to hear that the team on shift that night were able to respond to your requests and it sounds like you were offered solutions, although it is unfortunate that you wound up in a second noisy situation.

Please do accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused, and rest assured the matter is in hand for your future stays.

Thank you once again for choosing Generator London, and I hope to be able to personally welcome you back again soon but please don’t hesitate in contacting me on lenny.hughes@generatorhostels.com if you want to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Been there for four nights while travelling London.
The hostel is located great- 5 minutes walk from an underground station, a really nice neighborhood in London and across the street from a nice commercial center.
Everything feels brand new and the hostel looks great, it is very well maintained and is probably the cleanest hostel I've ever seen (and I've seen some).
The rooms are okay.. Beds are good but the rooms are tiny! The 4 bed dorms were so small I don't know if even two fit there and I think the rest of the hostel is the same. Restrooms and showers were alright but often full and no hot water.
The hostel has a nice bar where you can meet people, a nice tv room and also some sort of a restaurant but they charge way too much for their food comparing to other places.
The staff were alright.. a little bit too patronizing. Besides that- before I got there I sent an email saying I'll ge there late and asked for directions, they didn't help me and even charged my credit card for the first night- really uncool.
All in all I would say it's a nice place but with what they have there it could be amazing if it weren't for all the rules they have and the feeling they try to make money out of everything you ask.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Hello Amit_1990_9,

Thank you for your comments after your recent stay with us at Generator London,

I was disappointed to hear that you faced some issues when you checked in late. We allow check in up to 2am on your day of arrival, unfortunately after that your booking would be charged in full for that night if you had not arrived as stated in your T&C’s

I’m thrilled to hear that you like the property however. As you may know, we re-launched this last year after a full refresh of the property to include brand new Bar, café and chill out spaces as well as all new rooms and facilities.

I hope we will see you at Generator London again soon and thank you once again for your comments.