“Good location but some dodgy aspects”

Generator Hostel London
Ranked #38 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Good location near King's Cross and Russell Square; good vibe for youngsters in the evening; showers lousy - no place to put your stuff; drinks expensive (cheapest is Fosters on special, but only for short time), my son moved on to Berlin and pays 1 Euro at his hostel for a beer, breakfast seems to be the same every day, extended booking for three nights and got whacked much higher price than first three nights, they charge for extras wherever they can - look around at other options, would not advise over 30s to stay here, beds comfortable, but upper bunks make a noise when people turn over etc.

Room Tip: fifth floor - away from reception, music etc.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CityLodgeJHB
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Hello CityLodgeJHB,

Thank you for taking some time to share your feedback after your recent stay at Generator London!
I’m sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations on some of the points during your stay.

Alcohol sale in the UK is much stricter than other European countries and as such we have to sell under the responsible service of Alcohol system, which is why sadly we cannot sell you a pint for £1.00

Its great to know that the transport links in the area were good for you and that you enjoyed the vibe.

I hope to be able to personally welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Thanks again for your comments

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I went to this hostel because I very much liked the Generator in Berlin.
It is not as well located, not such a good price and not so good in general.
The breakfast though, was a bit better.
Anyway, London is expensive, so it is still good for it's value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Hey VictorRp1982,

Thank you for your feedback, I will be sure to pass this on to the Team.

Hopefully we will see you in London again soon.

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hostel is in an excellent location, just off Russell Square, close to rail terminals for North of England and only 15/20 mins walk from Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street and Covent Garden. A few pubs and restaurants nearby also. The hostel is welcoming, well decorated and whilst rooms are basic in facilities, (the price reflects this absolutely, this was a bargain!) they are clean, spacious and well presented as are the shared bathroom and toilet facilities.

We did have a major issue with sound whilst staying at the hostel. The hotel has a bar area on the ground floor, our room was on the third floor directly above it. We were staying at the hostel as we had a flight at 6am from Stansted, needing to be up at 2:45am to make our way there. We went to bed at 10:30pm, but couldn't get to sleep because of the dull thud of base (music) from the bar area a couple of floors below. We gave this until 11pm.

At 11pm, I approached reception to explain we couldn't sleep and the receptionist happily telephoned through to the bar to ask them to switch the music down. I returned to bed and after 15 mins, two of the hotel staff came to listen in the room, acknowledging the dull thud of base audible in the room. They also stated that they would ask the bar to turn the music down.

Unfortunately, the dull thud, thud, thud of base was still audible at 11:30pm and I went down to reception again. I waited 10 minutes or so for the two members of staff who had earlier visited the room. One of these was the duty manager or supervisor, I think. He explained to me that the hostel was advertised with a bar area, essentially stated that some noise could be expected and also that he would practically have to turn the music completely off. I politely pointed out that it can't be a very good design of hostel for me to be able to hear this constant thud of base, that I couldn't have been the only one to have raised this, that their primary function was surely to provide people with a good night's sleep and that at nearly midnight, it was not an unreasonable expectation to be able to sleep.

At midnight, he acknowledged we could move rooms, away from the area of the bar. The new room we moved to was again spacious and pleasant. However, this time it was at the front of the building, directly above the area reserved for smokers, so for the duration of the not quite three hours sleep we had remaining, we were woken intermittently by lots from people making noise in that area, including one of the security guards joining in, rather than stemming the noise (at 2am!) to allow people who wished to sleep to do so.

I am a regular reviewer on Trip Advisor and am very objective and fair with my views I think. I think this is only the second review (of many) I have left with any significant negative feedback and often get exasperated with people who pay little and expect lots. This hostel could be really, rally excellent and lots of aspects are. Unfortunately, some consideration to how different guests' needs are managed is required. This was the worst night's sleep in any hostel, hotel or guest house I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area and possibly at the back of the hostel
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MG100_10

Hey there MG100_10,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us after your recent stay with us.
Firstly can I say that I’m pleased you enjoyed the concept and understand what we are aiming to achieve with our property here in London.

Your feedback with regards to the noise from the bar is well received, and I have already held several discussions with our events coordinator and Duty Management team to try and ensure we do not have similar situations in the future.

I am pleased to hear that the team on shift that night were able to respond to your requests and it sounds like you were offered solutions, although it is unfortunate that you wound up in a second noisy situation.

Please do accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused, and rest assured the matter is in hand for your future stays.

Thank you once again for choosing Generator London, and I hope to be able to personally welcome you back again soon but please don’t hesitate in contacting me on lenny.hughes@generatorhostels.com if you want to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Been there for four nights while travelling London.
The hostel is located great- 5 minutes walk from an underground station, a really nice neighborhood in London and across the street from a nice commercial center.
Everything feels brand new and the hostel looks great, it is very well maintained and is probably the cleanest hostel I've ever seen (and I've seen some).
The rooms are okay.. Beds are good but the rooms are tiny! The 4 bed dorms were so small I don't know if even two fit there and I think the rest of the hostel is the same. Restrooms and showers were alright but often full and no hot water.
The hostel has a nice bar where you can meet people, a nice tv room and also some sort of a restaurant but they charge way too much for their food comparing to other places.
The staff were alright.. a little bit too patronizing. Besides that- before I got there I sent an email saying I'll ge there late and asked for directions, they didn't help me and even charged my credit card for the first night- really uncool.
All in all I would say it's a nice place but with what they have there it could be amazing if it weren't for all the rules they have and the feeling they try to make money out of everything you ask.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Hello Amit_1990_9,

Thank you for your comments after your recent stay with us at Generator London,

I was disappointed to hear that you faced some issues when you checked in late. We allow check in up to 2am on your day of arrival, unfortunately after that your booking would be charged in full for that night if you had not arrived as stated in your T&C’s

I’m thrilled to hear that you like the property however. As you may know, we re-launched this last year after a full refresh of the property to include brand new Bar, café and chill out spaces as well as all new rooms and facilities.

I hope we will see you at Generator London again soon and thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Large hostel, very well presented. The communal areas are great, there is a bar, cafe and internet lounge all decorated in a modern way.

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm, it was small but this is to be expected in London. Lockers are rolling drawers under the beds, if you want it to be extra secure bring a padlock. The drawers can be a little noisy when you pull them out not great if your trying not to disturb others.

The location is really good, a couple of mins from Russell Square tube and only a few more minutes from Kings Cross.

Security is very present which is nice.

Bathrooms are clean though showers lack changing space and it was hard to work out where to leave bits you did not want to get wet.

Overall a great hostel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Hey sherbs-13,

Thanks for your feedback its great to hear from you after your stay with us.

Hopefully we’ll be seeing you again in the future and please keep spreading the Generator Word.

Bets Wishes

Lenny Hughes - GM Generator London

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I stayed here for one night in a twin room with my boyfriend. We had the bathroom & toilets in common with the others.
We have really appreciated the originality of the youth hostel.
The room was clean, the beds also clean. The common parts (toilets, bathroom also clean) The room contained 2 twin bed, a washbasin and a bin => Simple but functional (you don't need more for a short stay).
We also loved the proximity of the youth hostel compared to the center of London.

The only thing we did not appreciate at all was the noise coming from the room above us starting 5.30 am(breakfast room ??). we were awakened by seats/chairs lug around/moving.
We knowned that coming in a youth hostel could be noisy, that's why we took some earplug with use (that help us for other noises) but it was not enough to support the seats noise! This is the only thing we were disappointed because outside the building you see information pannel such as : "please respect the neigbourhood, be quiet" and my feeling was "ok, but please also respect the guests..." => the thing I could maybe proposed to the hostel is to put some pads such as on the picture.

Except for the noise starting 5.30am with the chairs, we had a really good time in this youth hostel. If we had to come again, it will be there for the proximity,the cleanliness and for the originality :-) !

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The location is superb however the hostel itself is huge. What is missing is the personal atmosphere that you get in small establishments. Everything is For Profit, so if you don´t have a towel or shampoo you would need to buy these, breakfast is not included and is really basic. I was in a 4 bedroom which was fine. In general the rooms seem modern and the beds comfortable so I had a better than expected sleep. The bar is expensive and there is no real atmosphere to it, there is a lot of security especially at night time so I would consider the place safe. Staff was friendly and helpful. Very easy access from Heathrow airport

Room Tip: End of hallway is probably more quiet than near the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Redrosin S

Hi Redrosin S,

Thank you so much for your comments after your stay with us.

Its always great to hear our guests feedback as it allows us to better the service we provide for you and our future guests.

I will be passing your feedback along to all of the relevant departments for further consideration.
We do advise our guests to bring their own towels and products for their stay, but offer these from our travel shop at a reasonable price for those who forgot to pack them. Breakfast is available upon check in, but I am sorry that you felt it was basic and didn’t meet your expectations on this occasion.

Thanks for choosing Generator London and your great feedback about the staff, this is fantastic to hear.

I hope you will return to us when your next and London, and would like to thank you once again fro your feedback.