“Best hostel experience ever!”

Generator Hostel London
Ranked #39 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Winnipeg, Canada
“Best hostel experience ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had a fantastic time at the Generator, as a solo female traveler staying for 8 nights. The hostel itself is beautiful, immaculate and modern, and I always felt safe. The area is close to lots of major attractions and just a few minutes away from King's Cross. The staff were always friendly and helpful, and there was so much to do in the hostel itself. Great food, drink specials, bar, activities ...overall amazing.

My only 2 complaints were: lack of plugs in the rooms, and the breakfast was a huge disappointment. It was listed as having croissants, spreads, bread, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee which was a bit of a stretch. For £4.50 I got white buns, no spreads other than butter, and canned, syrupy fruit. I was very surprised with the lack of breakfast quality, considering everything else they did so well.

However, despite those two things, I would recommend this hostel to anyone. It truly is the best I've stayed in.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank tinyjumper
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Hi tinyjumper,

Wow, thank you so much for your great review. We were delighted to read your excellent feedback and also much appreciate your comments about breakfast and plug sockets. Its very pleasing to see that you were with us for 8 nights and you found the Team very friendly and helpful and also that you had the chance to spend lots of time in the hostel.

I really hope to have the chance of welcoming you back again soon.

We are delighted you found us to to be one of your favourite hostels.#Genlove..

thanks again

Lenny
Lenny Hughes- GM Generator London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed in a private 6-beds room with 5 friends.. hostel didnt specify that we had to share bathroom but good enough shared bathrooms were kept clean through-out the day. The main problem was that our room was at floor 6, and the shared bathrooms were on floor 5 that wasnt so convenient for us. Overall a clean hostel, modern and so friendly, i'd say desirable for young people, reminded me of a really organized univercity campus. Prices ok comparing to other hotels/hostels so close to central and the tube.

Room Tip: rooms on top floors were more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Efi_Jones
Hello Efi_Jones,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a good review but sorry for the inconvenience regarding location of the toilets. I have shared your feedback with the Team here and we were delighted that you had a good stay and found us all to be very friendly. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon.

Thanks again,

Lenny
GM- Generator London
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a 10 bed dorm (5 bunks) which was surprisingly spacious and comfortable. There was a sink in the room which was handy. Only 4 plug sockets though which was a logistical nightmare at times! There were 2 trunks under each bunk which could be padlocked and can fit a hand luggage suitcase easily into it.

Toilets constantly blocked on 5th floor which was horrible. Other than that, washing facilities were good.

Bar was super cheap - £2.50 per pint! They had nighttime security staff so it was very safe. There was also a free ATM and a good vending machine.

Only 5-10 min walk from King's Cross station so very handy and a convenience store round the corner. Would recommend to travellers!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank gimme_wings
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hello gimme_wings,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us after your recent departure from Generator London.
It’s fantastic to hear that we met your expectations , and of course we’d love to see you back again in the future.
As you may have seen we do have a 24/7 house keeping team who do all they can to keep the wash room facilities to the highest possible standard. Please accept my apologies if you faced any inconvenience during your stay with the bathroom facilities.
Please keep spreading the Generator word #genlove and we hope to be able to welcome you back to London again very soon.

Helsinki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed at Generator only for one night in late March and can't really find anything to complain about the hostel. I stayed in a 4-person shared dorm and although the room was fairly small, it seemed clean and the bed was comfortable. Each bed has a locker for your personal belongings too. The common areas were modern and atmosphere relaxed. I liked the large chill-out lounge and wifi worked perfectly throughout the hostel.

The only minor downside was the shower room: although the showers were clean and hot water instantly available, the room lacked shelves. So, please arrange shelves or even just a table to the "lobby" so that people can lay their personal stuff and clothes on something while showering. Now I had to stack my clothes and toiletries on the floor, which wasn't so nice.

I left the hostel fairly early in the morning and at the entrance, I encountered a man how greeted me in a friendly manner and offered me an arm to escort me out of the door, insisting to carry my luggage down the few steps for me. It took me a couple of seconds to comprehend he was a member of the hostel's security personnel. Nice chap :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hey Losviages,
Thanks so much for taking some time to tell us about your Generator experience.
I’m pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us and that you managed to put our social spaces to good use while making the most of our Free Wi-Fi.
Your feedback about storage in the shower areas is much appreciated and I will definitely pass this on to our development team for future advancement of the product in London.
Hopefully we will see you again soon at Generator London and please keep spreading the Generator word! #genlove
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I'm very split in my feelings towards the Generator I have to say! I stayed for 5 nights in April and overall I didn't mind it and probably would stay again if I had to but would also look into other hostels for better value, because this one was overpriced considering a few points that I've made below.

On the one hand it's in a great central location with a tube stop just around the corner. Staff were helpful and friendly and the hostel is modern and clean. I felt safe and secure there, the hostel is down it's own private little laneway and there was always security out the front, even in the day. It's very busy, especially the bar area so great for meeting people, a very wide range of people seemed to be staying there too which I liked. The beds were probably the comfiest bunks I've ever slept on. Each bed has a lockable box for belongings which is great too.

On the other hand however, this is one of the most expensive hostels I have ever stayed in and yet I was surprised how little is included in the price. For one, luggage storage. Not free. You have to pay for lockers to store your bags at any time, whether you're waiting for your room to be ready or just need storage in general. I've never paid for luggage storage at any other hostel or hotel ever.

Lack of power points; this was really annoying. I was in a room of 10 people and the room only had 4 power outlets, all at one end of the room rather than spread out throughout the beds. They had this free standing charging tower in the common area that had little mini lockers you could charge your things in, but yep you guessed it, you had to pay for that too. Bathrooms didn't have convenient power points either. It was just totally impractical considering everyone staying there would have at least one thing they'd need to charge. A lot of other hostels I've stayed in usually have one power point per bed.

Also the rooms lack hanging storage. Nowhere to hang towels or jackets or anything like that, other than the rails of the upper bunk which is someone else's bed! Surely providing just one hook per bed isn't too much to ask.

The bathrooms were my other big sore spot. I'm totally fine with communal bathrooms but the layout just didn't make any sense. On the ground floor there are no female shower rooms, just two showers with no dry area and no place to get changed. I don't know about you but I'm not comfortable walking through a common area of a hostel in a wet towel to get back to my room (where there is no private space to get changed anyway). To have a shower I had to go to a different floor which is fine but even in the bigger "shower rooms" the layout is weird. There are 6 or so individual showers with only one hook each and no dry space and then only one actual change room to get dressed in. So your options are to wait for the change room to be free or to shower and walk back to your room in your towel, again which wouldn't be that practical seeing as there are no private areas in the rooms themselves either. It just didn't make any sense to me at all.

I know I might seem a bit knit-picky but honestly it's the little things that matter. And other hostels I've paid half the price for might be half as modern or "trendy", but have gotten these little things right always.

If you are going to stay here my advice would be to ask for a room not on the ground floor. There are a lot of people coming and going in the foyer and there is a night exit that has a walkway right outside the window of some of the ground floor rooms. It was truly so noisy some nights at all hours of the night.

Overall I think the a Generator was a cool place to meet people and there's lots of communal seating and a bar for socialising. But when you're living in a place for a week and paying a decent amount of money to do so, it would be nice for the place to actually cater to the practical needs of your stay, and not make you pay extra for every little thing you'd normally expect to be included.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Helloyounglionsxo
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Helloyounglionsxo,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us such a comprehensive review after your recent stay with us here in London.

Its very pleasing to hear that we managed to meet your expectations in terms of location, Team friendliness and that you found the facilities to be modern and clean. I was delighted to read that you also felt safe and secure. A great nights sleep is always a bonus and that’s why we recently refreshed all of our facilities to include brand new bunks and mattresses for happy snoozing.

However, I’m disappointed, but really appreciate your feedback about some of our facilities.

Please be assured, I have noted your suggestions and will pass these on to the operational and development teams, to try and further improve our guest experience in London.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to Generator London soon.
Thanks once again,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed here with a couple of friends for 3 nights in a quadruple room. The location of the hostel is excellent. It's about a 10 min walk to the tube at Kings Cross and from there it's easy to get to most of the major sights in London and the airport. In the Kings Cross area itself there's a decent amount of restaurants and bars.

The hostel has a good bar with reasonably priced drink. The security in the place is very good and a bit over the top if anything. They have security men outside telling everyone to be quiet as they come back in late at night. I guess you'd rather it be that way than be too lax though!

The room and showers/toilets were clean. The room was pretty small with two bunk beds squeezed in. In fairness though, at £27 a night in that location you can't really complain.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank SF3415
Hey SF3415,

Thank you for sharing your Generator experience with us after your departure.

We have always been very proud of our location, so close to many of London’s great attractions like Big Ben and the Queens house (Buckingham Palace!)

We can’t wait to welcome you back to Generator London again soon, and please keep spreading the #genlove

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Nice, clean hostel for a good price in London. Traveled with three girlfriends so we had a room for four people and it was a decent size. Showers were fine. Vibe at night was fun - the bar is a nice addition - great place to meet people and have a few drinks/dance before or after heading out for the night. Only downside was it was a bit hard to find, and about a 10 min walk to the tube. Otherwise, no complaints. I'd recommend the hostel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hello sduncss,

Thank you for your great feedback after your recent stay us in London! We hope we played our part in making your visit memorable.

We’d love to have you and your friends back again soon, and please keep spreading the #genlove