“Atta makes it worth the stay”

Generator Hostel London
Ranked #40 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
College Park, Maryland
“Atta makes it worth the stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Overall the generator was a great hostel. Stayed over spring break and had showers and no complaints with roommates. Great security and service especially Atta, who took great care to attend to our needs and ensure our safety. Only a mile walk from main attractions, overll great experience.

1 Thank Jconns27
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Hello Jconns27,

It’s fantastic to get your feedback after your recent stay with us in London.

We’re all very pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will be passing along your compliments to the team here, who I know will be thrilled to hear such positive comments.

Of course we would love to see you again soon, and please keep spreading the Generator word to all your friends.

Lenny Hughes- GM Generator London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

The generator was a great hostel. Even with random roommates we never had any problems. I have to say the best part about the generator was the security. There was always security standing outside making sure those that were not staying in the generator weren't allows in. Atta was one security guard in particular that took great care to ensure our safety. He was friendly and welcoming and always had a smile on his face.

1 Thank Jbassi
Hey Jbassi,

Great review! Thank you so much for taking some time to share your Generator experience.

We’re super thrilled to hear that our security team impressed you and I will be passing your compliments on to Atta, who I know will be very pleased.

We would love to have you back in London soon and please keep spreading the Generator Word to all your friends!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Generator is nothing short of a fun and eclectic poshtel!

The concept of combining an interesting, exciting, social connectedness that is sought after by most travelers together with tasteful hotel allure (through design and real genuine staff) really sets an enjoyable tone throughout your stay.

You can expect to feel well accommodated, secure and impressed by the cleanliness at Generator which is a true rarity sometimes in the hostel world.

Generator has no doubt set the vibe and overall bar high in their take on revolutionizing the typical hostel experience into something fresh... A modern gem that should easily lead the way by example for all other hostels to come.

• Stayed March 2014
Wow! What an outstanding review, thank you so much for your kind words about Generator London and the team here!

You have really “hit the nail on the head” and have, from what I can see, experienced Generator London exactly as we had intended…#poshtel

We can’t wait to see you again for your next trip to London and please keep spreading the #genlove

Rishon Lezion, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed at The Generator Hostel for 3 nights in March 2014, and was very satisfied. It has very high value for money as it is sittuated in a very good place in London, 5 minutes walk from Russel Square. The staff was very friendly and every request was responded to my satisfaction.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Samion_Buchas
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I've been travelling Europe on and off now for the past 2 years, staying in a wide array of hostels; although this one would have to take the cake as one of the best hostels I have had the opportunity of staying at. In terms of location, you cannot beat it as it is located two minutes away from the Russell Square Underground as well as a ten minute walk from King's Cross Station. With the recent renovations, the lobby and cafe/bar area are very warm and welcoming, providing a great first experience for any guest. Other amenities and the rooms were very clean and well maintained. The staff was very helpful throughout my stay, providing a quick check in process and also a big shout out to Darren who runs the cafe, as he went out of his way and was able to acquire a ticket for me for the Chelsea vs. Spurs match which was sold out everywhere. Overall, I would rate this hostel as excellent and I will not hesitate at rebooking upon my next visit to London. I have made the mistake in the past of staying at cheaper hostels within London and by no means would make that mistake again after having stayed at the Generator Hostel. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Loved the basement, very quiet!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank kostahfx
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hey Kostahfx,

Wow! #winning #genlove

Thank you so much for your great feedback after your recent stay, its always fantastic to hear such good comments from our guests.

I will pass on your comments to the whole team here, especially Darren, who I know will be thrilled to hear that he has made your stay so memorable.

We’d love to see you back again soon, and we hope you enjoyed the football! #maythebestteamwin

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

This place was okay enough for my 3 night stay except for that it was loud at night and gave me trouble trying to get much needed sleep. The wifi connection in my room was also somewhat problematic at times.

I asked, both in emails before my stay and while checking in at the front desk, to be allocated to a more quiet room away from the bar (Which stays open til 2am). Staff seemed professional and as accommodating as they could be, but it was still noisy all the same. When I checked in during the day the place seemed quiet enough, but when I got back at night it got noisy. I could hear my neighbors talking through the wall right next to my bed. People coming and going at night made a loud "K-CHUNK!" every time one of the big, heavy duty latches closed and the acoustics of the concrete hallways made it echo through the place like the sound of a gunshot. It kept me up most of my first night and from then on I reduced the noise with earplugs while trying to sleep (which is technically unsafe and not recommended use of earpugs, but I had to sleep at night!) If you are a delicate sleeper you may want to take this into consideration - I have never stayed at a hotel this loud.

Just to be clear, the rooms are BASIC. Personally, I didn't care, but if you are expecting a setting with any kind of hominess like you would more typically see in a hotel or bed and breakfast you are bound to be disappointed. They are concrete dorm rooms with funky colors painted on the walls.

So, I didn't have any problems with staff, the location is great - within walking distance of a subway station and the amazing British Museum - the Generator cafe was fine and I could get wifi there when I couldn't get it in my room. I don't think anybody tried to service my room during my 3 day stay, which was fine with me. For somebody who mainly just wanted some sleep at night (round 10pm to 8am), this place was kind of rough.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a room away from the bar and still bring earplugs.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Fergus C
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts after your departure from Generator London.

I am disappointed to read that you found sleep difficult at the hostel, particularly late at night. As you may have noticed while you were with us we do have a full security team at night, who try to minimise noise for the comfort of all our guests.

Its great to hear that you were impressed by our staff and that our facilities such as the café and that our new free wi-fi was also beneficial to you.

I really do hope you will consider us again for any future trips to London, and if you wish to discuss any of this in greater depth please do feel free to email me on Lenny.hughes@generatorhostels.com and I will be delighted to chat.

Hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely

Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

This has been my second time in Generator Hostel here at London. It has been renovated for the good, since my first stay.

Rooms were quite crowded and small, but hey! I paid 8 pounds for each night (discount), so I can't blame them.

What I really hated was the washing machine. I had to pay two times to wash my clothes right. (and two times the drier too!)

I give it a 4/5 star review because of its location. It could not be better. With a 5 minutes walk you get loads of decent places to eat, supermarket, a pharmacy, King Cross station and Russel Square station. Also, if you walk ten minutes more you reach the British Museum.

I believe I would stay again in this hostel, only for its privileged location.

Room Tip: Don't stay at a crowded room!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KevinMoving
Hey there,

Welcome back and thank you for taking the time to share your Generator Experience with us after your most recent visit. Its always great to hear our guests comments as it helps us better the service provided for all our guests.

I was however disappointed to read that you felt our laundry facilities did not meet your expectation but I do hope you were able to find some assistance with our team regarding this issue.

Our location in central London is something we are very proud of, so its great to understand that this was a deciding factor in choosing Generator London.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Generator London again in the future.
Thanks again