“Excellent Hostel - look no further for accommodations.”

Generator Hostel London
Ranked #39 of 838 Specialty Lodging in London
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent Hostel - look no further for accommodations.”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I've been travelling Europe on and off now for the past 2 years, staying in a wide array of hostels; although this one would have to take the cake as one of the best hostels I have had the opportunity of staying at. In terms of location, you cannot beat it as it is located two minutes away from the Russell Square Underground as well as a ten minute walk from King's Cross Station. With the recent renovations, the lobby and cafe/bar area are very warm and welcoming, providing a great first experience for any guest. Other amenities and the rooms were very clean and well maintained. The staff was very helpful throughout my stay, providing a quick check in process and also a big shout out to Darren who runs the cafe, as he went out of his way and was able to acquire a ticket for me for the Chelsea vs. Spurs match which was sold out everywhere. Overall, I would rate this hostel as excellent and I will not hesitate at rebooking upon my next visit to London. I have made the mistake in the past of staying at cheaper hostels within London and by no means would make that mistake again after having stayed at the Generator Hostel. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Loved the basement, very quiet!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank kostahfx
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hey Kostahfx,

Wow! #winning #genlove

Thank you so much for your great feedback after your recent stay, its always fantastic to hear such good comments from our guests.

I will pass on your comments to the whole team here, especially Darren, who I know will be thrilled to hear that he has made your stay so memorable.

We’d love to see you back again soon, and we hope you enjoyed the football! #maythebestteamwin

Lenny Hughes – GM Generator London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This place was okay enough for my 3 night stay except for that it was loud at night and gave me trouble trying to get much needed sleep. The wifi connection in my room was also somewhat problematic at times.

I asked, both in emails before my stay and while checking in at the front desk, to be allocated to a more quiet room away from the bar (Which stays open til 2am). Staff seemed professional and as accommodating as they could be, but it was still noisy all the same. When I checked in during the day the place seemed quiet enough, but when I got back at night it got noisy. I could hear my neighbors talking through the wall right next to my bed. People coming and going at night made a loud "K-CHUNK!" every time one of the big, heavy duty latches closed and the acoustics of the concrete hallways made it echo through the place like the sound of a gunshot. It kept me up most of my first night and from then on I reduced the noise with earplugs while trying to sleep (which is technically unsafe and not recommended use of earpugs, but I had to sleep at night!) If you are a delicate sleeper you may want to take this into consideration - I have never stayed at a hotel this loud.

Just to be clear, the rooms are BASIC. Personally, I didn't care, but if you are expecting a setting with any kind of hominess like you would more typically see in a hotel or bed and breakfast you are bound to be disappointed. They are concrete dorm rooms with funky colors painted on the walls.

So, I didn't have any problems with staff, the location is great - within walking distance of a subway station and the amazing British Museum - the Generator cafe was fine and I could get wifi there when I couldn't get it in my room. I don't think anybody tried to service my room during my 3 day stay, which was fine with me. For somebody who mainly just wanted some sleep at night (round 10pm to 8am), this place was kind of rough.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a room away from the bar and still bring earplugs.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Fergus C
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts after your departure from Generator London.

I am disappointed to read that you found sleep difficult at the hostel, particularly late at night. As you may have noticed while you were with us we do have a full security team at night, who try to minimise noise for the comfort of all our guests.

Its great to hear that you were impressed by our staff and that our facilities such as the café and that our new free wi-fi was also beneficial to you.

I really do hope you will consider us again for any future trips to London, and if you wish to discuss any of this in greater depth please do feel free to email me on Lenny.hughes@generatorhostels.com and I will be delighted to chat.

Hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This has been my second time in Generator Hostel here at London. It has been renovated for the good, since my first stay.

Rooms were quite crowded and small, but hey! I paid 8 pounds for each night (discount), so I can't blame them.

What I really hated was the washing machine. I had to pay two times to wash my clothes right. (and two times the drier too!)

I give it a 4/5 star review because of its location. It could not be better. With a 5 minutes walk you get loads of decent places to eat, supermarket, a pharmacy, King Cross station and Russel Square station. Also, if you walk ten minutes more you reach the British Museum.

I believe I would stay again in this hostel, only for its privileged location.

Room Tip: Don't stay at a crowded room!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KevinMoving
Hey there,

Welcome back and thank you for taking the time to share your Generator Experience with us after your most recent visit. Its always great to hear our guests comments as it helps us better the service provided for all our guests.

I was however disappointed to read that you felt our laundry facilities did not meet your expectation but I do hope you were able to find some assistance with our team regarding this issue.

Our location in central London is something we are very proud of, so its great to understand that this was a deciding factor in choosing Generator London.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Generator London again in the future.
Thanks again

Limoges, France
Reviewed March 3, 2014

For the third year running I took a large group of French students to Generator for our annual visit to London. I highly recommend this hostel for large groups- the staff are friendly and extremely professional, the breakfast is great and brilliant value and the loaction is perfect. The newly decorated bar and communal spaces are brilliant too.

1 Thank Jacob P
Hello Jacob P,

Welcome back and Thank you for your fantastic feedback after your most recent stay.
I imagine it was a pleasant surprise when you arrived and saw our brand new communal spaces and rooms!

We’re thrilled to hear that we are still able to meet the expectations and needs of your group during your visits, and I am thrilled to hear that our staff made you feel welcome during your time with us. We are all very proud of the new Generator London.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year for your Trip and please keep spreading the word.

Derby, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in a triple room whilst in London to watch league cup final. Really good value for money. Everything's new, clean and well furnished. There was with great friendly atmosphere downstairs in the bar. Really enjoyed it. Will definitely go again

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank blue290171
Hey there,

First and foremost, thanks for choosing Generator London for your trip. Secondly thanks for this wonderful feedback following your departure.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Generator London really soon.

Lenny Hughes - GM Generator London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Pro - good location (10 mins from kings cross)
lots to do (bar,cinema room, cafe, travel shop etc)
security at night (BUT staff wanting to search bags for alcohol)
Con - small room (hardly anywhere to move with one small mirror for 4 people)
dirty toilet (tampons, rubbish on the floor)
cold shower
complaints about noise (talking in room at night)
no storage space (no where to hang clothes or store bags etc)
heater in room did not work

1 Thank cmxoxox
Hey cmxoxox,

Thanks for taking some time to share your views with us after your recent stay at Generator London.

As I am sure you can imagine getting guest feedback is vital to us improving the experience we supply for our guests.

I’m disappointed to hear that you had some concerns while you were with us. We have a 24/7 housekeeping team who maintain the cleanliness of our bathrooms to the highest possible standards. I apologise if you felt that standard was not meeting your expectation on your visit.
I hope you were able to speak to our 24 hour reception and Duty Management team with regards to your heating and that this situation was resolved for you.

Please be assured that I will be passing your feedback about the space and storage in rooms to our development team for future consideration also.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your thoughts, and we really hope to see you at Generator London again soon.

Best wishes

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was the first time for me to go to a Generator Hostel, and to visit London!! Once we got our card keys we went up to throw our bags in our room which was clean and had fresh linen on the bed. Each one of us got a slide drawer under the bunk beds to put our things in which is handy to have space in the room. The beds were new and really comfortable as to the ones in some of the photos on here. The club/bar they have there was brilliant and had really good DJs and atmosphere!! The breakfast buffet was good with cereal, rolls, ham, cheese, fruit and yoghurt. I have problems eating gluten so by asking them they manage to make me some toast which is easier for me to eat then rolls. I also have to take medication which has to be kept in a fridge which was a challenge for them as they are not fully catered for people with an on-going illness. So they placed my medication in there office fridge, which was grand and whenever I needed it I would go to the desk to get a staff member to get it for me and to then put it back in the fridge once I was finish giving myself my medicine. Yet one of the night I gave it back to one of the male staff to put it back in the fridge, came back downstairs from my room to still see my medicine on the desk 10 minutes later which is not meant to be out for more then 20 minutes with me already having out for at least 15. I had to tell him to immediately put it in the fridge at that moment. Another dilemma was for me to travel with my medicine I have to freeze the blocks that go in the bag which they said they cannot do, yet I have to access to one no matter what. After some persuasion they finally did place them in the kitchens freezer but it just shows you that they are not fully catered yet for people with medical needs as I had to pursue them to allow me to do so which I shouldn't have to!!! Overall everything else was good!!!

1 Thank Jammy D
Hello!

Its really great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us wile you were in London, and I am delighted that we helped you enjoy your first London experience.

I am sorry to hear you had some difficulty with your medical needs though, please accept our apologies. As I am hope you can appreciate we do try to cater for all of our guests needs and I am very pleased to hear that we managed to assist you in the end.

We always pride ourselves on supplying unique experiences to our guests, and your feedback about the bar and DJ’s is fantastic. Thank you! I will be sure to pass this along to our events coordinator who puts together our varied line up of acts. Delighted to hear that we’re on the right tracks!

We’d really love to see you again for your next London stay, and please don’t hesitate in contacting us for your next trip and we can ensure we have everything ready to cater for your needs.

Thank you again for your great feedback and we’ll see you soon.