“Great hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Generator Hostel London

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Generator Hostel London
Ranked #38 of 827 Specialty Lodging in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Great hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

This hostel was right in the middle of London!! The rooms were very clean and the staff were really helpful! The food in the restaurant was very nice and cheap. I'd definitely recommend anyone who's visiting London to stay here!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jesboylan
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Hello Jesboylan,

Wow. Thank you for your wicked review!

We can’t wait to see you again soon. Please keep spreading the word.

Best Wishes

Lenny Hughes – GM Generator London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
West Bay, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Loved this place, in a great location, bar with happy hours (5 til 8), chilled room and cafe serving great food at reasonable prices. Only two complaints: 1 paid for 8 bed dorm and was put in a 11 bed - you wouldnt believe the difference it made - but Complained to the manager at reception and after a couple excuses moved me and my friend into the correct room so all was good. 2 I honestly love everything about the hostel except the showers. A curtain rail with nowhere to put your dry clothes and belongings really let this place down. I've nothing against the human body but having to see naked girls first thing in the morning is not my cup if tea. Hoping to stay again in May for my 21st so maybe the shower situation will have improved. Other than these only two minors I love and would 100% recommend this hostel!

• Stayed February 2014
Hello Lotty F,

It’s great to hear from you after your stay with us!

My apologies for the rooming mix up, but super pleased to hear that you managed to get that sorted with our Team and that it made a big difference to your stay.

Your feedback about the showers is totally valid and it’s always good to get comments about our facilities. I will be passing the comments on to our development team for future considerations.

We literally can’t wait to have you back in May and we hope you’ll have just as much fun as you did this time around.

Thanks again Lotty and hope to see you soon

Best Wishes

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

These people have no clue what customer service is. management and most staff are so rude and careless that you wonder why they're there in the first place. the longer you stay there, the more careless and rude they become towards you. Me and my girlfriend were meant to stay there for 6 weeks while working on a project in London from Leeds but we had to check out 3 weeks after we got there because we couldn't take all the carelessness and the un-professionalism of the staff any longer. The rooms were never cleaned nor were the bins in our room (4 mix) cleaned once the whole time we were there. we had to empty the bin ourselves and when we told the people a the reception they didn't show any care at all and just said they will send someone to check, and that happened a lot. They have a cinema room but they made so much farce about playing movies each time we asked them. Clearly long-stay customers are not valued in that place. They prefer short-stay and new customers so that they don't stay long enough to see all they rubbish. we moved to Clink78 were we've been for the past 3 weeks and they make us feel welcome and valued. and they can definitely teach people at the generator a thing or two about customer services and customer relation management. and they have a wi-fi service that actually works and you get a deal for staying a week and more.Don't go to the generator if you're planning to stay long or really value good customer service because you won't find it there, they will put you off human race all together!!! and their breakfast menu is so poor it's a total waste of money and time to pay £4.50 for it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel B
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Generator Guest,

I’m so very disappointed to read your review today.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to talk to you in more detail about the events you are describing, as they seem so far away from the service the team at Generator aim to offer.

We want to give all our guests the best possible stay and a unique experience while they are with us and I am very disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please feel free to email me on: Lenny.hughes@generatorhostels.com or contact me on 0207 3887666.

I hope to hear from you very soon.
Sincerely

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

I stated here for almost a week and I did not expect them to be this good with such a price. Booked a 4 beds room with my friends and it-was-good. The place was nicely decorated, good service, good bed, the shared bathroom was always clean. My room had a problem with the lamp and they fix it right away, there was even someone from the hotel who came to our room asking if there's anything wrong and if we need any help. Location was wonderful as well. Can't argue more. Absolutely going back to this place.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AvantiSukma
Hey AvantiSukma,

Thanks for your great feedback after your recent stay. We would love to welcome you back to Generator London again in the future, and hope you will tell all your friends about your Generator experience.

Thank you once again and hope to see you soon!

Jyvaskyla, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed in Generator for four nights with a friend of mine and overall it was a very pleasant experience. Location is superb: only a few stops from all the main attraction points (Oxford Circus, Camden Town, Piccadilly Circus etc) and only one from King's Cross St. Pancras! The place was quite easy to find from Russell Square tube station and a security person checked our reservation on the street in front of the hostel gateway. Security personnel was nearly always there, on the street and on the courtyard in front of the hostel building, checking our room keys. Bit of a pain occasionally, when our hands were full of shopping bags or such and both of us were required to show the key, but at least we were sure there weren't any unwanted visitors.

Everything was very modern, recently refurbished by the looks of things and oh so clean. A bit strange though that our bin (in a private twin room) wasn't emptied during our stay, but I guess they would have done it if we had asked? Showers were good, and so were the toilets except it was freezing in them! Open windows and winds of February don't make a great match... Also we got a few knocks at the door in the evenings by the staff, apparently our giggling was too noisy after 10PM. Hmm, maybe silence was required from 10PM onwards? We weren't informed by that but I guess so. There's a happy hour in the bar from 5 to 9 and two films shown every evening, I guess free of charge?

Breakfast was good, nothing fancy but wasn't expecting it to be. Buns, ham, cheese, cereals. Quite a queue especially during the last 30 minutes! Didn't eat dinner there, so I don't know about their deliciousness or prices, but there was a splendid Greek restaurant close to the tube station! Also tried an Indian place nearby.

The lift is rather annoying, it's ridiculously slow and there's only one lift for a busy 6-floor hostel. Luckily we were on the 3rd floor so only 2 stairs up from the reception. Still, I sure hope they do something about it.

Staff was really friendly and always ready to help! Even carried our breakfast trays from the table for us. Didn't expect that to happen in a self-service place...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hello!

Thank you so much for taking some time to share you comments with us after your recent stay at Generator London!

It’s great to hear that we have managed to meet your expectations during your stay, and that our Team made you feel comfortable and safe here.

One of the biggest positives we hear from our guests, along with our Team friendliness is that we are so centrally located and close to all of London’s main attractions. I’m very pleased that you found this and we were handy for you while you were in London!

We would love to welcome you and your friends back again and please keep spreading the good word about Generator London.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you really soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Extremely clean and secure facility, some staff are a little rude and off duty staff were being boisterous which doesn't reflect well on the business. Great value for money, I would recommend this hostel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hey there MarlonMIA,

Its fantastic to hear that you felt Generator London was clean and secure, these are key players in creating comfortable stays for our guests during their stay.

I’m disappointed to hear that you felt our staff were a little rude and at times boisterous. I’m sure they had no intention of being either of these things, as they are all Team players and care a great deal about the service our guests receive. I will however look into this and thank you for your feedback.

I’m delighted to hear that you would recommend us, and I hope we see you again soon at Generator London.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I am very disappointed in Generator Hostel. As a chain, this company should know that the most important aspect of a chain business is consistency. Tbe reason people go to McDonald's or Starbucks is because they know what they are getting. The same was my thinking with this hostel. When I stayed at this hostel in Hamburg, I had very fast wifi service available in my room. It was the fastest wifi service I ever experienced in a hotel. For my room in Hamburg, I paid 900 USD for a stay of 17 nights. Because I was pleased with my stay in Hamburg, I decided to stay in Generator London. There was another hostel much closer to my work location but I decided I would stay in Generator because I was expecting to have the same great stay and fast wifi service as I had in Hamburg. However, I was mistaken. The wifi rarely worked in my room, and even in the main lobby it was slow. What's worse is that I paid 1000 USD for my 7 night stay which is nearly three times the price for the same type of room. I travel to Europe quite frequently for work but have decided that because of this experience I will never stay in Generator Hostel again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Stephanie L
Hey there Fishcakes L,

It’s really disappointing to hear your feedback about Generator London, as you had such a great experience in Hamburg.

I understand how frustrating Wi-Fi issues can be and can absolutely empathise with you. We try to resolve any IT issues as quickly as possible in house or by contacting our external service providers. Unfortunately as I am sure you will understand these things can take time to find solutions.

I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused and assure you that this is not the level of service we aim to provide at Generator London.

I hope you will reconsider Generator for your future trips and if you would like to discuss anything else, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at lenny.hughes@generatorhostels.com.

Sincerely