“Peaceful, very well managed, really good location, kind and friendly staff;”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Albro House Hotel

Albro House Hotel
Ranked #675 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London
“Peaceful, very well managed, really good location, kind and friendly staff;”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

I`m a regular guest of this house because it`s just perfect for me. I`m always having a good time here. It is well-decorated and its old-fashioned look just give its own feeling to the guests . It has a very good location because the Hyde Park is near and also the main street with a lot of shopping facilities. And the staff is one of the most friendliest and kindest one I`ve ever met whose breakfast is the best. Thank you very much and I do recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ilovelondonn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Dorset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

Upon arrival there were no staff on reception.. there wasn't even a reception area in fact! The stay just went downhill from there onwards. The manager refused to recognise a guest who was living next door to me despite them being in possession of a key.

My room was located on the top floor and there was no lift and the stairs would've been difficult to manage for elderly visitors. The room had all the required facilities, however it would have been more acceptable in cooler temperatures.

Beware, the hotel only accepts cash payment. The staff are the biggest let down at this establishment.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ratemerateyou

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Macerata
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

I'm in London for work every one or two months and I am a regular customer at Albro since a couple of years; all I can say about it are good things: of course it's not the Grand Hotel, but for a good price you can have a clean room with ensuite services and free wifi internet access (which is a good plus if you need to work).
Manager and personnel are very friendly and the position is great: you're in central London, with Paddington and Lancaster Gate tube stations within minutes; if you want to walk, in 15 minutes you can be in Oxford Street or Hyde Park.
Definitely a good choice if you need to come to central London and you don't want to spend too much money.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank StefanoW
Exeter
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

Have stayed at the Albro House many times, at least 4 times a year for years now and always have the same excellent friendly service..The hotel is well established and is very English in its decor and service. A little old fashioned..but isnt that a plus in this rushed wolrld? This is a quiet hotel and you are guaranteed a peaceful night in spotlessly clean rooms. The owner is there to help and there is a good breakfast to set you up for the day.
If he is not there he has a lovely manageress, who will make you feel at home and her level of service is excellent...she has been there many years and you are in safe hands.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Emilia Romagna
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

we've stayed at Albro last year and overall our experience was pretty good.
This time we found this lady who didn't know how to manage a single thing that was happening there!
Don't even wanna start with the chambers maid who was totally insane: she even opened our door several times without even knocking! not to mention she didn't speak a single word in english..
It was pretty awkard and embarassing i have to say!! And it kinda ruined our journey there.
The Hotel per se is in a very good location,and the neighborhood(Paddington) is one of the most vital of London in terms of pubblic services,restaurants and such.
In the same street of Albro you can find TONS of Small Hotels like Albro,so do yourself a favour: try somewhere else!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
londonhost_10, owner at Albro House Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2010
Dear Holybuble,

Sorry to hear you were not happy with our Relief Manageress, she is a really a very pleasant and helpful person.

Our chambermaids are very good and do a fantastic job. She came to your room several times in an attempt to service your room , and as you can understand they have a schedule to keep so that the whole hotel is clean and ready "on time" for new arrivals.We do apologize if she did not speak to you , but we ask them to direct any guests to speak to Reception.
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

I checked into Albro House Hotel, it must have been a month ago. A woman checked me in she said she was a manager, while the owner is gone. She said it’s 50 GBP a night, I stayed at that on 4th floor first two nights. After that I moved onto ground floor. There was no hot water to take shower, only sometimes. It was freezing at night, obviously they didn’t care about their customers being cold, and I slept with clothes on and three blankets on top of that. Than I started getting those bites, and since my door opened to balcony, I figured their mosquitoes, so I didn’t make anything out of it. Than I asked her to lower my rate, I think after week and a half stay, and she provided a weekly rate 300 GBP. I still kept getting few bites here and there. After about a week the owner came back, and said he sold that room, I need to move upstairs. Which was good because at least they had warm water upstairs. I kept itching but figured they were old bites just still itching. My boyfriend arrived a week later we moved back down stairs. I told him I was itching too much and he proposed that maybe I have bed bugs. I said that’s crazy I don’t even know what bed bugs are, and how could I get them anyway. He wanted to move to another hotel because there was no hot water, and it was in bad condition. I said they already lowered rate for my extended stay so why bother. Before he left he mentioned his kind of itchy too. After he left I said I want to move back up, because I can’t stand taking showers in cold water. The owner replied “really? There is no cold water?” I said yeah, at least there’s some upstairs. And than he says yeah I know what the problem is, it’s just too expensive to fix it. Really?? He rather makes people suffer, that’s great to know, very caring person ah? So I moved back up stairs, over few nights I got more bites, than I was getting worried. I started searching the Internet and found out that, bed bugs are most commonly mistaken for mosquitoes. I looked at pictures of bed bug bits and they looked just like mine that was the first time I believed bed bugs do exist. I was scared to go to sleep so I left the light on, and I woke up with even more bumps on my face. In that point I knew there were bed bugs in there, I went down stairs I showed him those bumps, and told him I am itching crazy, I want my money back and I want out of here. He said oh I am so sorry I had no idea about the bed bugs. Please stay till you’re paid Ill move you to another room. Me being nice, or should I stay stupid, moved to a room on 1st floor, and stayed. After I take the key back for room from upstairs he goes, yeah I have been having problems with bed bugs lately?? Didn’t he just say he is not aware of that?? And than he says he thinks the terminators planted them to get money from him?! His crazy. So he was totally aware of the situation. Of course I couldn’t sleep being scared to death that I wake up even bumpier. So I had the light on sitting on my bed, I’m looking on top of the headboard, and there is the bug waiting for me to go to sleep, so he can suck my blood. That was it, there was no way I was sleeping, there was even know way I was sitting on that bed. I laid my luggage on top of table to make sure they can’t get in there, I took everything out, and repacked, making sure there are no bugs in my bag. I drank coffee all night phasing around, walking outside, and I was the first customer in coffee shop, anything to stay awake. They serve breakfast at 7.30 am, I said to myself I’m not going to wake anybody, Ill have patience till than Ill just stay up. When 7.30 came around I went down stairs, I asked the owner “How did you sleep last night?” he replied well, and I replied good for you, because I have not got any sleep yet. He replies “Oh those bugs again?” I said yes, I want my money back, and I want out of this hellhole. He replies I can only give you money back for three days, I said really?? He says yeah, you didn’t complain about bed bugs till yesterday. How am I supposed to complain about something I did not know even existed?? We had it out, and I was telling him what a greedy person he his, and that is no way to treat other people. I left I checked into beautiful hotel across the street, and finally got 4 hour’s of sleep.

I refuse to pay 300 GBP’s for having bed bugs to eat me, while the person charging me is knowingly, lying to me, and stealing hard earned money for abuse, and horror. I want my money back, and money on top of it for all those lies, and disgrace. I am devastated, I will never ever check into anther bead and breakfast, because of such a miserable experience. Not to mention, I am still itching, and scratching like crazy, I have 15 bumps on my face alone. I am embarrassed to scratch myself all the time, because people my think I have skin decease. I am embarrassed to roll up my sleeves because I have bites all over my arms. And I am paranoid from that experience, I look at every little piece of derbies on floor and I think its bug, I am almost delusional. I jump when my pants touch my legs, because I think it’s a bed bug, and I scratch even in places I don’t itch because of that paranoia and experience.
How do things like that happen, who has control over it? Why doesn’t anybody inspect those places? What happened to human rights? Why are people like him in hospitality industry? He belongs behind the bars the way he cheats money out of people, lies to them, and plays with their wellbeing. I want some answers. And I want that place closed down, sterilized!! There is no reason anybody should go thru that experience, for wanting to see London, and stay here. I am emotionally and physically damaged, my upper body looks like bug wonderland. And I want somebody to make up for that, and that somebody should be the person who put me thru that. I have never in my life been treated, in such disgrace.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank PrincessBD
londonhost_10, Owner at Albro House Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2010
Dear Princess...I have read your story about your stay in my hotel and am shocked by what say.At this stage I should apologize for what you say,however......
You checked-in on the 25/9/09 and checked-out on the 2/11/09,stayed a total of 38 days.
The manageress who booked you in was very kind and nice to you,she even gave you a very special weekly rate (which we do not usually do).You settled in nicely.I met you approx. 2 weeks later on my return from my holidays.Things seemed to go well.you looked happy.Indeed I always greeted you with a smile and asked "how are you ?" "how is everything ?" and you would reply "Good thank you"When your boyfriend came you moved to the double room and again I would ask both of you (with a smile) "how are you? how is everything? and both of you would reply "everything is fine".When your boyfriend left we exchanged greetings and again I asked if everything had been ok and he said that all had well and he even replied that I would surely see him back in my hotel !.
This is a great satisfaction for any real hotelier to see a satisfied guest leaving happy with a promise to return.Most of my customers from all over the world (including lots of Americans) make up 50% of my business ,are returning guests or recommendations !This shows that we are doing things the right way.You then asked and moved happily back to the same room as before and all seemed well as before.Usual pleasant greetings etc.Then all of a sudden 2 days before departure , (after 36 days you had stayed in our hotel !!!!) you came up with the story of the bugs in your room! This was the same room you had been in for quite sometime before your boyfriend came ! and everything had been ok ! Of course we were sceptical about what you were saying. My hotel is and has been clear of any pests for the past 26 years since I have been here.We have regular thorough inspections done by a well know pest control firm (which services some of the best 4/5 star London hotels)and every time we pass this inspections as completely pest free! I did not believe you ! In any case in an attempt to put your mind at rest I immediately moved you to another room on the first floor. All seemed well until the next morning early when you came to the dining room and started shouting about bugs and wanting to leave and "demanding all my money back since my arrival " including the money paid by your boyfriend for the coming week, "or else " you would make a lot of trouble for us " !! )
I said you could leave but would refund you only the remaining days of the week which were pre-paid by your boyfriend.You went into a rage at not getting "all the money " (for the whole 38 days) and finally left the hotel (after I refunded 3 days including the previous night) shouting abuse and promising to make trouble for us.I have since had the hotel inspected again(beds,beddings,furnishings,etc and as usual got a "clean " report.We (the pest control persons and us) also came to the conclusion that if you felt itchy , you must have been carrying bugs or other pests in your own clothing that you wore at the time.This is quite possible since you never changed your clothes.you wore the same clothes all the time you were here !same skirt ,covered by the same blue jacket all the time. we never saw you going to the launderette.The problem ,dear princess was with you yourself.
There are no bugs or pests whatsoever in my hotel and we are quite sure of this as it is in our interests to run a clean and healthy environment .All our guests are happy as we really give excellent all round service and have done for the past 26 years.There ,of course,may be other reasons for your claim of "bugs" (by the way I never saw any bugs marks on your face !) and your demand for "all my money back" or "i will make a lot of trouble for you ".One thing puzzles us.If you were not happy with the hotel why did you
stay ? you could also have reported any pro=
blems immediately to the manager.If you really had a genuine complaint you should have reported it at once ! but you waited until 2 days before departure to make a complaint and a scene in the hope to get a full refund as the hotel management would be unable to verify facts and so pay out moneys to avoid a scandal caused by a distressed guest !
But we were not easily intimidated !
As for hot water. our hotel has a very big boiler(320.000 btu) with constant hot water plus 600 lt back-up hot water storage tanks,so cannot understand why the Princess had no hot water ?and why you never said at the time ?Also central heating is on if temperature is cold.We think your report is totally flawed and untrue and refute it all.
Our hotel offers excellent service and we really aim to make all our guests happy and comfortable in a clean and safe environment.
Proof of this are reviews on tripadvisor by satisfied guests.

(knowing
calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed at the Albro House for two nights on a stop over to Eastern Europe. We were 4 friends staying in a quad room. It was VERY tight and got really hot at night. The sheets were clean and the beds were somewhat comfortable. The decor is very outdated! The bathroom was kind of on the gross side (the floor was falling apart) but it did the job. The best part about this place is that it is just a few minutes to Paddington (which has direct trains from Heathrow!!!), has many pubs and restaurants around and is close to walk to Hyde Park etc. And the cute little breakfast room in the basement served up a decent breakfast to start the day! I don't think I'd stay here again because I am sure there are other places around that can offer a bit more for 135 pounds a night! This was all that we could find in a good location only a few weeks in advance. It does the job if you're desperate for a place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends