“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eaton Square Hotel

Eaton Square Hotel
Ranked #1,046 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Coventry, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

In my opinion, this is not only the worst hotel in London; it is the worst hotel in the UK and indeed the worst hotel i have ever had the misfortune to stay in.
For £175 myself and a colleague were given rooms in an annexe building 100 yards away. The room was up 2 flights of stairs in what can only be described as a 'squat', The room was approximately 7ft by 4ft. It had a filthy brown carpet, a matress placed within a bedframe directly on the floor as all slats supporting the bed were broken. The only light in the whole of the room was a bedside light that was so dim it was impossible to see anything. There was literally a broken bed, a broken tv, a corner broom cupboard that could barely house a coat and a shabby dirty shelf that was so narrow a cup and saucer with satchets of coffee and tea, (no milk), could hardly fit on it.
The bathroom door could not open fully as it was blocked by the bed as the room was so small. Within the bathroom the sink was 10cm in depth and not big enough to use practically and the toilet was literally unusable.
The main door to the room was an internal door and certainly gave you the feeling that it was unsafe.
There was damp and mould covering the ceiling and walls and it is a disgraceful health hazzard.
When all of these points were raised with the Receptionist, the response was extremely poor and she could not be bothered.
I assure you that I am not exaggerating any of the points above and really feel so strongly that I am actually going to formally write to trading standards and environmental health.

Room Tip: Never ever go to this hotel even as a last resort; it should, in my opinion, be closed with immediat...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank FlashWar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I paid £352 for two nights at this hotel. We knew we would be paying through the nose due to the convenient location close to Victoria Station; however this place is still seriously overpriced. Frankly, I am ashamed as a British person that this is what our Capital City is offering to visitors.

Check in is at Tophams Hotel, about 12 doors down the street. There was already a couple booking in when we arrived, and a member of staff asked us to wait at the bar, when there was an empty couch situated in reception. No doubt its a good way to get people to buy drinks. My husband refused; we sat on the couch and were checked in a couple of minutes later - no dramas.

Our room at Belgravia Mews was down in the basement. There was a strong smell of damp and drains as we descended the break-neck staircase to our room, but thankfully this had not permeated through to the room. There was no window - which was not stated on the Laterooms site when we booked it. The decor was quite nice - and the lighting made the darkness seem quite intimate. It also disguised the damp patches spreading up the walls. The bed linen also felt damp to the touch. The bathroom was quite large, but the grouting in the shower was black. The spotlights in the ceiling were hanging out. As I said earlier, we were expecting to have overpaid, so no point complaining as at least it seemed clean. I switched off the lights at one point, and they would not come back on. I called into reception at Tophams on the way out and the receptionist (who did not seem surprised) said she would send someone to sort the lighting.

On returning from our sightseeing, the lights were fixed. I wanted to make hot drinks while my husband put on the evening news. Neither of these simple actions were possible however as there was no remote control (which the TV would not work without), and despite there being tea and coffee, cups etc, there was no kettle. The phone in the room did not work, so I again trotted up the street to Tophams were the receptionist said she would make arrangements. She asked if there was anything else I needed - I said I hoped not as I had already had to come up twice as the phone did not work. She said something about problems with the phone line and said she would send complementary coffees over. Fair enough.

After a stifling and airless night, we spent a good day out in London and returned around 15:30 to our room to rest and get ready for our early pre-theatre dinner. The room had not yet been visited by housekeeping, and as a result there was hardly any toilet paper (there had not been a full roll there when we checked in). I looked in the bathroom cabinet as there was a tissue holder in there. When I looked inside this, I was horrified to see a pair of panties covered in dried menstrual blood!!!!!

I stormed back up the street to reception with the tissue holder and asked to see the manager. I was told he was not available but they would get him to call me. The receptionist from the previous day appeared and I started to tell her about the room not being cleaned, but she kept talking over me saying she would send someone over. I persisted and explained about the lack of loo roll. Again she kept talking over me. I held up the tissue holder and asked her to look inside - she didn't and said 'I know, I know I'll send someone to your room'. I demanded she actually look inside the box - and her attitude changed... slightly as she told me 'not to worry'. I said that I had every reason to worry considering the price we had paid. She said she would move us to Tophams, did something on the computer and disappeared. Another member of staff eventually arrived and started to ask the original receptionist what the problem was - and both started discussing it in front of me as though I was not there! I know they have no control about what previous guests have done, but really - why did I find that in my room?!

I asked to see the room we were to be moved to - which was adequate but also with damp patches and black grouting in the shower. However, it did have windows. I returned to Belgravia Mews and realised I had left my key in my room when I stormed out. Back up to Tophams to ask for a spare key - and the staff could not find one! The only spare was being used by housekeeping and they were at the Mews. As I was waiting, the manager came out of his meeting and was asked to speak to me - which he did. I began relating the string of issues, which were received with the patronising air of someone who was used to rebuffing complaints. Then I hit him with the contents of the tissue holder (I wish I had literally hit him with the contents!). He admitted that was dreadful and he would have a 'word' with housekeeping. I said that and upgrade been taken care of and asked what else he would do to remedy the situation as I was still distressed. He said he would have to look into the other issues and would get back to me. I already knew this would not happen. Meanwhile the search for the key was still going on. I remarked that they would have been able to phone my husband who was still in the room HAD THE PHONE BEEN WORKING! The manager stood silently by my side until he found a moment to sneak off, before even checking that my issue was resolved. Upgrading us was the least they could do - and they really did the least they could do.

Needless to say, I never heard from him again. Had he have offered to send a couple of drinks to our room or similar, I would have felt more appeased. An actual apology from someone would also have gone some way, however it seems that the word 'sorry' was not a part of anyone's vocabulary. The fact that this did not happen has led me to post this review and I hope I can deter visitors from booking at these 'dreadful' places - to use the manager's own words.

I was glad to leave there. The only thing I will say is that the breakfast was nice.

Room Tip: If you have to book, request a room that is not in the basement, and check it has a window. Ask to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Clarinda76
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

my friend and i booked a room here for 3 nights before we read reviews so were obviously apprehensive after. we arrived at the tophams and was shown to the mews by a gentleman. admittedly the stairwells etc need updating. on entering the room we were pleasently suprised at the decor as it looked newly painted. yes the carpet needed changing as wasnt the best but we thought it would see us through. after unpacking we sat on the beds and i stated the mattress felt low but didnt really think about it until we tried to shut the curtains and my friends foot went to the floor looking under her bed were broken slats. we decided to look under mine and found only about 5!! no wonder there was the sinking feeling. we went to complain as were worried as my friends card had been scanned and £100 retainer put on room and didnt want to get charged. we were told they would look at it and would move us in morning as no other room. after a night out returned to be told couldnt find any more slats so would upgrade us in morning. when we returned to rrom no-one had even been in. after a horrible nights sleep we were upgraded to twin deluxe room in the tophams which was much better. our biggest concern was the room key in the belgravia in that we handed him a blue fobbed one but was given a yellow one back so do all the keys there open all the rooms??? the hotel was well placed for everywhere and the breakfast was ok for what we had paid but looking on the sites had i have paid what laterooms etc wanted then i would be very miffed some were wanting upto £550 for 3 nights!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank themorgans18
Isle of Man
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on business. They "upgraded" me to a double but at another of their sites further down the road. I refuesed this as it is not part of the same hotel, is not staffed and although the ground floor looks ok the first floor is not. The staff were very good and gave me Mews 1. A double room in the basement which stunk, the taps were not conected and the dor woudl not lock from inside or out. Agin the staff were accommodating and moved me to a triple for the first night but moved me the second night as it was booked. The door handle to that room came off and the door would not close. My fourth room was very good. The staff do their best but unfortunately the hotel is not up to standard. The decor in places looks good but in others dirty and shabby. If you go there please stand your ground until you get a satisfactory room. I would grade this as a 2.5 star hotel certainly not 4.

Room Tip: 111 was very good - avoid Mews 1 at all costs and certainly say no to their other location down the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank IsleofManShirls
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Window on squint and wouldn't close, no functioning lights in toilet, teas and coffees with no kettle, tv didn't work, dirty sheets, dirty carpet, rude staff. Slept on the broken sofa instead to avoid catching something from the sheets. Blatantly refused to refund or swap rooms. Trading standards are to be involved!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Jamiehodgson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

The entrance to the hotel is wonderful ,reception is lovely and they are very friendly we were in mews room 4 below the front door so noisey my husband went to complain at 1.am and they did quiet down ,they said it may be the heating pipes not sure who he was kidding !!! Our room had damage to the carpet and made the room smell fusty ,such a shame !!!

• Stayed September 2012