“Lot of dirt and dust germs”
Review of St George Hotel

Ranked #599 of 956 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Completion dirty from the first floor to the last. Full of dust, the stairs and around the Hotel. In the bedroom was full of dust and a used condom. A mattress are dirty , and hair other people. Two lamps in the shower did not work.
I honestly do not pay the price of the diseases that can be caught here. And is perfect for people who have asthma, to have an attack on the first 5 seconds.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 26, 2013

As has been said, great location - very close to Paddington station but on a quiet square - and reasonable value for money (£68 for "double" room mid week). We were also quite late arriving (11pm) and the reception stayed open past its stated 10pm for us which was good of them.
We were given room 22 on the 4th floor, not a great problem there not being a lift as we were travelling light. I was also expecting a small room which is what we got, luckily we did not have a suitcase otherwise we would have had no space to move at all. The small double bed touched 3 walls of the room and left little space in the L shaped room. The sheets and duvet were clean but bizarrely for such a small bed were too small to fit properly.
The weather was not that warm, but the room was. We kept the window open but luckily it faced onto private road so it was surprisingly quiet.

Unfortunately it went downhill from there. Once we had switched the (very crackly) TV off, you could hear an annoying whirring noise coming from the hotels central heating in the ceiling which lasted for a few seconds, stopped, but then restarted almost straight away. This only stopped apparently when a tap was run anywhere in the hotel at which point the sound got even louder and continuous until the tap was switched off.

I went down to reception but by this time had closed and the door was locked. So i went back to bed and had the worst nights sleep i have had in a long time with this constant cyclic noise droning above my head all night.

When i complained to the receptionist in the morning i was told it was a known issue with the boiler and when i asked for a refund was told that the manager would be in later in the morning. Fortunately we were only staying one night but doing something close by so came back to speak to the manager. He said no one else had complained about it before (?) but was quite reasonable about my issue and gave a partial refund.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 22 unless you have earplugs and like the warm
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We chose this hotel for the location, and went in to it knowing there was no elevator. The walk-up wasn't so bad if you take it by itself, but after a day being out and about in the city, trudging up the narrow Victorian stairs was not fun.

The staff was friendly and accommodating, but the room was tiny. Don't get me wrong, we knew it would be small when we booked the room, but my hubby and I had to take turns getting dressed in the "vestibule" because it was the only place in the room with any space. You could barely stand between the bed and the counter top that held the TV and electric water heater.

Breakfast was delivered to our door every morning (thank God for not having to go up and down any stairs for food!), but was all pre-packaged. Chocolate chip muffins, "orange juice", and a few other things that at least was enough to take the edge off before wandering out to a coffee shop.

Overall, the St. George was okay. Nothing spectacular, but nothing I would necessarily recommend to my friends. I wouldn't warn them AWAY, but I'm not sure I would encourage a stay either.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The few good things: really good price for London and quite central, well served zone. Really unclean, stained bed linen, found some food belonging to previous guests in a drawer. Really, really hot, we had to spend the night with wide open windows. No lift and really narrow and steep stairs. A camping toilet box, made in plastic, mounted inside of the room. Breakfast = they knock at your door and lay a tray of low quality food on dirty moquette just outside of the room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I must start by pointing out that the location is excellent : 150 m from the Paddington Station, in a quiet neighborhood, next to a Central Line tube stop.
The room was really tiny : barely enough free space to put my suitcase into.
But it was clean and perfectly fit for the purpose of getting some sleep before an early departure.
Great value for the money !
Don't expect to get any extras through : there was a tea and coffee selection inside the room, but nothing to stir them with. So barely useful.
The disappointments were that there was no lift and the staircase was really narrow, thus presenting significant difficulties to people traveling with heavy luggage.
And there was no hot water in the shower when I was about to leave for my 5am train.

Room Tip: the closer to the ground floor you get, the better it is.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The room was small, but it was the cheapest room in the hotel. Clean and tidy is all I expect when I pay that much. Hotel wasn't noisy at all. Had breakfast at Paddington Station which is only round the corner.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights in March as it was close to Hyde Park and easy to get around. Value for money as it was cheap but the room was very cramped however it was clean enough. Breakfast was sugary packaged food. Would probably not stay here again

• Stayed: March 2013