“budget hotel in convenient location”
Review of St George Hotel

Ranked #575 of 931 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed December 10, 2012

the good things about this hotel are location (if you want to be close to Paddington) and price (quite cheap given where it is). However the decor is very tired and there was a lot of noise the night I stayed (banging of doors and general mayhem).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SteveNewbury

Reviewed November 7, 2012

As per the title. The room was basic, as can be expected. The en-suite was like a toilet and shower in a cupboard in the room. The bed was small and the duvet was too small for the bed. Also breakfast wasn't great and didn't appreciate the 8am bang on the door with it, leave it outside and I will get it when I am ready. You also know when the tube is running as you can hear the trains below.

On the flip side of the coin though the location is great with Paddington station, a hospital and bus routes within minutes. There were also shops bars and restaurants within minutes walk. You also get a front door key so can come and go as you please.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary M
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night in Sep 2012. £55 for a single room. Not a bad price for London. Room was tiny but that didn't bother me. What did bother me was the filthy shower. Breakfast was served at 8am whether u want it or not and was a tray of stuff I wouldn't consider to be breakfast items, biscuits etc. Not a bad place to stay for one night if u are on a budget but very basic. Staff were nice tho especially the Polish girl at reception

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This place was a disappointing end to our time in the UK. We stayed here for 5 nights and it was dreadful. The place is very run down and dirty. We didn't move hotels because we were on a budget. The first thing is, we understand it is an old building, but the stairs are just horrible to climb up- good thing we are fit, heaven help those who aren't.
The next thing was, we were put into a family room even though we requested a double. They wanted us to move rooms after a few nights due to them overbooking themselves. The shower's hot water only worked sometimes and to get it to work, the water had to be left on for 25 minutes before it worked. It was freezing in London at the time and I got sick and so hot water would have been desirable.
The television didn't work very well, in fact it made crackling noises.
The cleaning was done very slap dash. Think only things were moved around to look cleaner. Our bathroom was not touched the whole time we were there.
Breakfast is a joke. It consists of very sugary orange juice, a muffin, chocolate croissant, bread roll with jam and butter. The only thing worth eating was the bread roll.
The attitude of the guy on reception was really bad. He obviously does not enjoy his job!
We are not normally fussy patrons, in fact as are very easy going. But this place was awful and I was very happy to leave the dump.

Room Tip: Not at the top of the stairs
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusannahPK
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Was not expecting much to be honest. Decor and furnishings are quite basic and I was expecting the worse when I arrived. Have to say i was pleasantly surprised. Hotel is in a great location. The room allocated to me (as a single traveller) was a treble room so I had plenty of room. It had clean bedding and towels. It was en-suite with free wi-fi and the middle aged guy at the desk was very friendly, helpful and informative. All in all for £35 this was great value. I dont think I will be taking the wife here anytime soon but as a single traveller who really just wants an affordable room with hot water and a comfortble clean bed then this is a good place to consider staying at.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 1879fulham
Reviewed August 22, 2012

First of all, the location is great. Close to Paddington station and a 10-15 minute walk to Oxford st.
I have stayed in quite a few of hotels of this type, so my expectations weren't too high. But the size of the single room was still a surprise. Basically, the front door couldn't be opened fully because the bed was already in the way. Not to mention, the staircase got so narrow towards the upper floors that it was a real struggle to get my baggage all the way up.
The room itself wasn't so bad for a few nights' sleep. A bit worn out and dusty, yes, but at least the bathroom was decent and it wasn't too noisy at night. Breakfast was delivered to the room every morning which was convenient, but I myself definitely couldn't tolerate food like that for more than 3 days in a row. Very basic - bread, jam and yoghurt, everything with an expiration date years from now.
On the positive side, the staff members were really nice. I talked to about 3 of them and they were all very willing to help out and solve any problems.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Booked at last minute and got an ensuite room on a Wednesday night for £35 so in that respect a real bargain. First impressions not great - pretty shabby entrance and slightly neglected feel - pretty common for many lower priced hotels in London. Personable chap on reception. I was given a room on top floor which meant a long climb on a rickety staircase - was'nt a massive problem as far as I was concerned but clearly would not have been ideal for families or the elderly. First impressions of room were not too good - the double bed took up most of the room so I'm please I did'nt have too much luggage. Bedding nice and clean, plenty of clean towells and good supply of soaps and shampoo etc. Mattress not comfortable and probably should have been put in the skip in 2005. Room clean but in need of some tlc - shower cradle was broken so had to hold shower head whilst showering. Bolts on sliding glass shower door rusted and not easy to open. Plug in sink was all rusty and looked terrible. No breakfast room in hotel - however a continental breakfast tray was delivered to my door at 8am - a roll, butter, jam, cartons of orange juice, yoghurt, biscuits etc - tasted fresh and all pretty good really. Overall, for £35 I felt I had got a bit of a bargain. Whether I would have thought the same way if I had paid say £70 or £80 is a different matter. In summary - would look to stay again provided the price was right.

• Stayed: August 2012