“Cheap for such a great location”
Review of St George Hotel

Ranked #504 of 843 Specialty Lodging in London
Cambridge, UK
“Cheap for such a great location”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed near the top of the house in a very small room, but I could not fault the cleanliness and facilities for the price I paid. A very handy location near to Paddington Station (tube and rail). This is not a top-class hotel, but the bed was confortable, the room was clean and the welcome upon arrival was friendly. I would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Hisimp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed here for one night! The room we were given was on the top floor which was like climbing a mountain the stairs are so steep and the staircase was covered in dust, so they changed our room straight way it was room 5 this was right next door to the reception this was a tiny cupboard with a computer and a booking book, the lobby ( this is the hallway into the hotel and rooms ) was tiny and diry. The room was falling to bits ply wood furniture that looked like it could fall down. Mould on the shower curtain, stains on the duvet cover dust everywhere and the windows do not shut. Then the breakfast that you get at 8 am regardless weather you want it at that time, this includes muffins, aqua water, and a pastry, some crackers. Please be warned do not stay here if it can be avoided !! Oh yes and the tube runs directly under the hotel and rock the floors.

• Stayed November 2011

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

For the price we paid and at 2 minutes from paddington station I was expecting a hostel type environment - what we got was an ensuite room with towels, toiletries, hair dryer and immaculate bedding, though the pillows were a little hard :) 5*this is not, but it was clean and smelt fresh. If what your after is a base to go and explore without being stuck in a hostel dorm then this totally fits the bill, we had room 14 - which was 2 doubles and two singles but the room didnt feel claustraphobic.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Heather I
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2011

The Room We Stayed Stayed In Wasn't as back as a lot of these reviews are making out. We stayed in room 21 which had 3 single beds & 1 double, Which was perfect for us as most the Big Chains (Premier inn, Travel Inn & Holiday inn) wouldn't allow more than 3 people in one room. This hotel is in the perfect location for getting round london. We walked from the hotel to the london eye in about an hour with loads of stopping for tourist attractions along the way (Buckingham Palace, Parliament, and a few cathedrals). And It Was easy to Catch a cab from the hotel, most the time from the front door. And Most places We Took A Cab Too Cost Around Or Under £10. The Room Wasn't bad, Wasn't 5 start luxury but as we'd read the reviews before we came we knew what standard to expect. I'd taken air freshener with me but didn't really need to use it, just the bathroom smelt strongly of bleach, which was in a way quite comforting. The furniture was mostly broken but it didn't affect us as we didn't really spend a lot of time in the room. The Breakfast Was Well presented Although Non of it was to are taste, A Very continental Breakfast, To European For us. But Wasn't a big deal As there was plenty to eat elsewhere. The Gentleman At the front desk was lovely, as even though we didn't really speak to him much was probably the reason we all liked the hotel so much, he let us keep our bags in the hotel after we checked out as we weren't getting the train home for several hours. He was sat in his reception 24 hours a day. When We Left & Came Even If It was a ridiculous time in the morning. We were on the top floor & We did Have to carry our bags up a million flights of stair ( Though Some Guy help me with mine) but i was good exercise & We all laughed at how unfit. As i didn't see any other room i can only give you our experience, i might not stay there as a family or couple but as a traveler or like us 18/19 year old girls (Or Boys) it was good enough for what we needed it for.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Ok so if you are after somewhere nice don't stay here! I stayed in a single basic room. The room was small but I was only after a cheap bed for the night. The room was cleanish, not spotless but probably no more dust than on some of my shelves at home. The toilet was next to my room, again sink and toilet clean but the floor could do with a good with some proper cleaning. The shower on the next floor up on the other hand wasn't so clean!
The room had TV, wi-fi, a kettle and fridge. The location 5mins from Paddington is ideal. I paid £34 for a single room so basically you get what you pay for and I was expecting worse for that price in central London. I wouldn't stay here if you intend to spend much time at the hotel but if you want a cheap bed for a night or two and are not too fussy it does the job. Breakfast was brought on a tray to the room. I'd read the reviews so I knew what to expect. Again you get what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
nottingham
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This was the worst hotel me and my partner have ever stayed in. It cost £79.00 for bed and breakfast. Please keep in mind the breakfast was an orange juice each,flap jack and a cob.
Room was tiny and bathroom dirty.
Would never stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emma_beach
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed in a single room for two days, which is clean, quite small and a bit hot in the evening, but I think that is ok as it was cool in the midnight. You can have everything you needed, such as, tv, sink, hairdryer, kettle, wifi in room. The toilet is next to my room. You will not hear the toilet flushing. Just could hear some voices of people walk in & out, but will not feel so noise. The location is quite convenience. just 5 mins walk to paddington train station and around 2 to 3 mins walk to Paddington tube station. There are some restaurants nearby, The staffs are nice and considerate. As I took the early fight at 7:45am, the staffs prepared the breakfast for me in the pervious day. The hotel is safe. The main door will always be locked, so you have to use a special key to go inside. I think it is quite reasonable for a single room in paddington.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo