“Worm your way in here!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 708 Shopping in London
Liverpool, United Kingdom
523 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,193 helpful votes
“Worm your way in here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Piccadilly has an eclectic mix of interesting shops, both along the Main Street and in the arcades that run off to the sides.

Hatchards is something of a literary institution and a great place to browse. This is the oldest remaining bookshop in the country and you will find something to suit every taste.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Best Retail Bookstore in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

When I lived in London for 5 years, I went to Hatchard's at least once a week! Best selection of hard back first editions anywhere. All the major authors visit and sign their books. Even if you are not a collector, the selection of books is amazing. They will ship anywhere!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank santagaryfe
Hong Kong
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Charming bookshop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Forget about Waterstone's, this is what a real bookshop in London should be like! Of course, it's far smaller than Waterstone's, but what I'm most impressed with is how knowlegeable the staffs are. I went to the children's section, and without looking in the computer, that person can lead me directly to any editions/illustrators I'm looking for. I was standing in line behind a gentlemen and the sales lady is very professional and direct the gentlemen down one floor for more options simply because the book on hand has a very slight scratch.

I'm very impressed, it would seem like she's simply doing her job, but nowadays, staff as these are a rare find!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Stellayyl
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cosy Bookshop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

During a 4 day trip in London, I left Hatchards as my best for last destination. I was very excited to visit the UK's oldest bookshop (standing at the time of my visit at 216 years old). The bookshop is very cosy and is stocked with a wide range of books, and save for the security cameras, the decor screams 18th century - absolutely beautiful!

As a bibliophile, Hatchards was on my bucket list and I was very happy to be there; however, my buzz was cut short when the saleswoman was less pleasant when asking her to help me look for books written by Arab woman authors. Her demeanor shifted from being very pleasant to a very rigid one. She did manage to help me find a few books, but her abrupt change in behaviour did leave me a little taken aback. Apart from that, I was very pleased to be there, and I would definitely go back again the next time I'm in London.

Visited August 2013
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
541 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 580 helpful votes
“This heritage bookshop is a Waterstone in disguise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

You might visit Hatchards for the atmosphere, because it is the oldest bookshop in London and they do their best to preserve the heritage, but if you get down to getting a book it is a Waterstone in disguise. Apart from the obvious fact that Waterstone is the owner of Hatchards, also they share the stocking of titles. Abandon the thought that you can get a book at Hatchards, what Waterstone is not stocking. I tested it with a title I wanted to obtain. Neither Waterstone or Hatchards carried the title. Nice detail: At Hatchards, the sales lady offered to look if a Waterstone branch stocked the title. Nice heritage shop, but I buy on line at Amazon.

Visited August 2013