“World War II tour excellent”
Review of London Duck Tours

London Duck Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: We are sorry to advise that Thames Water has exercised its statutory rights and given notice to acquire our launch pad at Vauxhall. This means, regretfully, London Duck Tours’ current business of carrying fare paying passengers on the River Thames must cease from 09.00 on Monday 18th September 2017 to make way for the construction of the Thames Tideway Tunnel. Managing Director of London Duck Tours, John Bigos said, “The 18th September will be a very sad day for the company, which was going from strength to strength, but it was vital not to delay construction of this much needed infrastructure project.” We will update you on events in January 2018.
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The World War II tour takes you to see the famous London WWII land marks, like HMS Belfast and the Cabinet War Rooms, and the less well known, like the church on which the blitz damage was deliberately left untouched as a reminder. The tour guide was in full WWII costume and had music, radio recordings and photos of bombed out London (which were a great aid and quite moving, too) as well as real gas masks and rations. The duck boat doesn't go in the water, but you join one of the 'little boats' that went to Dunkirk, which was really special. There was still plenty of general info, eg about the bridges and stations, Westminster Hall and Queen Victoria, but the WWII angle was really interesting and brought London history to life. The tours seem pretty underbooked (we had one to ourselves) which is a huge shame - really good fun and a great way for my kids to cover their WWII school history topic. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Jenny F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,036)
All reviews
"unique experience"
"trafalgar square"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We had a land-only tour as due to the recent "incident" they weren't running the splash down, instead giving you vouchers for City Cruises.

The land tour part was excellent, driving past many important sites with a very amusing commentary from the guide. Gave just enough history with regular anecdotes to make it more fun. Lasted about 40 minutes and covered a decent amount of ground in that time. Gave a good feel for the area, and almost as amusing as a decent comedy act which was great!

The river cruise was then excellent, actually probably better than splashing down (although not as fun!) as you got to go all the way to Tower Bridge, get out and spend time up there (eg London Tower, or food at St Catherine's Docks) and then return back at your leisure. Sadly on the outward cruise everyone was talking so loudly you couldn't hear the guide which was frustrating. However on the way back the passengers were much better behaved and got to learn about the various sites enroute.

So definitely recommended! I guess it was perhaps a little expensive given the land part was 40 minutes (at most), and it was a shame to not experience driving into the river. However the replacement cruise was great and extended the day significantly (in a good way!).

Certainly way better value than the London Eye which is massively overpriced (although I guess a must-see if you haven't done it before).

2  Thank tike1
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had a horrible horrible experience. The kids , literally early teenagers, who are sitting in ducktour's office took my luggage to keep it safe while I enjoyed the tour. I was not given any tags or identification for my baggage. Just kept there with a few other bags, many of which were similar to mine.

After i finished my tour, I get back to their office and its shut. Yes, SHUT. They had shut down their office with my luggage inside WHILE i was on THEIR tour and had a flight the same night. This become the most exasperating trip of my entire life. I called the police, they couldn't help. I called the tour company's number, no one picked up ofcourse. i spoke to their neighboring shop, they couldn't help. Their office closed at 5:30 !! I wasn't informed of any timing or any other instructions regarding my luggage. I could see it through the window inside their office. I stayed in front of their office for an hour hoping some miracle would happen. In the mean time i was changing my flight to the next day as the stuff in the luggage was impossible to leave behind. flights were full for 2 days. Looked like i had to travel without my luggage and wondered how to get my luggage back after i've travelled 3400 miles.

After waiting an hour and a half, a services guy (i guess someone who used to work on their busses) just walked up to the door and was opening it. I could not believe my luck ! What would have happened if i would have left from there. i told hom my story he gave me the luggage and i rushed off to heathrow in the taxi.

I would never recommend any one leaving their luggage with them. Their "WONDER" bus didn't even go into the water. The bus tour was more like 12-14 minutes. It dampened the whole london trip for me.

Never Again.

5  Thank naasty
MAWatts, Manager at London Duck Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

First of all, we’re sorry that you had difficulty in retrieving your suitcase from our shop. Although a member of staff was able to assist you and you did get your suitcase, we can appreciate the uncertainty this situation caused. This is the first time this has happened and we will use the experience to prevent it happening again.

Having investigated the matter, I would also like to make a few comments about other aspects of this review.

Each Duck has a digital tracker and timer and I can confirm that the land tour lasted 40 minutes not 14 or 15 minutes as you stated on the review. You then transferred onto a boat for the 60 minute (approx) boat cruise (from London Eye to the Tower of London and back).

I can also confirm that no teenagers served you, all of our booking assistants are in their 20’s or older, undergo relevant training and regularly receive excellent feedback for the service they provide. Our booking representative did make you aware of the current temporary service and that the Duck was not going on the river and gave you the voucher to take the river cruise on a boat.

We are are working very hard to resume our regular operation as soon as possible. Details of the current service can be found on our website.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

but what isn't in London !
I took my niece on this has a surprise..she loved it ! (Result !) it was pricey, the Guide was good and knowledgeable, Being a true Londoner I learn't some facts I never knew..The River part was great on a sunny day ! These amphibious vehicles are over 45 years old so need regular repair..they are not Rolls Royce's !
Everyone including the few Canadians and Americans on board had a great time..
"Quack Quack !!!"