“Time Out's Jack the ripper walking tour run by Celebrity Planet”

Jack the Ripper Walking Tour with London Walks
Ranked #135 of 742 Tours in London
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Guide was a chap called Alex who was excellent, very informative, kept talking for whole two hours of trip with lots of funny asides - if he is not an actor he should be - keeping us all entertained on one of the coldest nights of the year in London was a feat! Great fun and would recommend, lot to learn about the gruesome Jack.

1  Thank antoniamariapaola
All reviews
"tower hill tube station"
in 14 reviews
in 4 reviews
"victims"
in 47 reviews

Reviewed January 15, 2013

What better way to learn something about Jack the Ripper that goes way beyond Hollywood and all the conspiracy theories than to do this walk led by Donald and Molly? There is no reservation or booking system, you just turn up at the designated spot - outside the Tower Hill tube station and look for Donald. The warnings about other groups is all too true. We got there well in advance for the 19.30 start and saw several other operators gathering groups. I asked the man with the London Walks badge if he was Donald (as per his instructions in the pamphlet) and having been assured it was indeed him, I handed over my £9. There were a lot of people and we were divided into two groups. I joined Molly's group and discovered I was in for a great couple of hours. The woman is a marvel.

Molly is a British Museum guide and a London historian. She knows the East End of Jack intimately and over the course of our two hour walk she shared an enormous amount of Ripper history, (no pun intended!) placed in the context of the history of the East End. I knew the EE was a sprawling slum area, but had no idea that it was home to close to half a million people living in an ant heap next to one of the richest places on earth - the City of London. And doing the walk on a chilly night made the whole story even more appropriately miserable - there was nothing glamorous about the EE in the 1880s.

We walked a lot. We heard the story of Jack and, more importantly, the dreadfully sad stories of his victims. The walk ended with Molly selecting several of the more entertaining theories about who Jack / Jill may have been, leaving it to us to make up our own minds. I share Molly's last assessment that we most likely will never know who Jack was.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

WE CHOSE RIPPER WALKS and our guide was lindsay Siviter who's the best in the business. Over the course of our two hour stroll I learned more then I ever imagine about this horrod affair. Linsay is more then a guide , she's a foremost authority on the Ripper spending countless hours researching the case. This tour is not for the faint heart , Lindsay decribes each murder in vivid detail with very graphic pictures and official documents. She's also recently become aware of actual descendents of the victims. You must be in good health and capable of walking 2 miles over a 2 hour period. I must again say this tour is for adults and not those faint of heart or young children. If you want the best authority on the Ripper you must go with Lindsay.

2  Thank donn d
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was the most boring walking tour I've ever been on. You'd think a tour on a serial killer would be enthralling and chilling. This was just a cold walk through a few blocks of East London. The group was far too big (over 30 people), you had to strain to hear the guide. It was pointless looking at sights as they are vastly different now anyway. It was a yawn.

3  Thank Dorriedot