“Quite disappointing.”

Ranked #16 of 756 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hamleys Toy Store is paradise on Earth for children, teens and adults. The magnificent seasonal windows, the displays and installations of various themes and the hundreds of toys create the “myth” of Hamleys and make children from all countries want to visit.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We visited this purely for our two children, and despite what I was under the impression of I found it a little bit of an anti-climax.
It was so crowded you struggled to browse at anything with ease. I used a baby sling for my son and I am so glad I did as there would been the added struggle of waiting on the lifts from floor to floor and trying to guide a pram through the flocks of tourists.

The children actually just seemed underwhelmed, and didn't enjoy it half as much as we thought they would (despite us saying they could have anything they wanted whilst we visited as a treat!)

The biggest thing for me was beside the attractive displays there was very little special to just Hamleys, it's all brand name toys you can get on amazon and in argos but at Hamleys it's a much higher price. I found this disappointing as we had been given a few hamleys toys (mainly bears) over the years and were looking forward to the whole collection - there isn't much at all. If I wanted fisher price and such I'd have gone to toys r us...

I like that it's separated, there is a dedicated baby area and gender specific floors so you know which one to go to and which ones won't suit you.

It's good to go and see, and say you've done. It may be better when there are events on but it didn't do it for me. I've been to the Glasgow one too and actually enjoyed that experience more. There are a lot of lovely things within the store that are beautiful, the displays and ornaments... but not enough to make me want to go back on any future trips.

There are newer reviews for Hamleys London - Regent Street

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I've never actually went as a child but as we live abroad now a chance to take our young son there. I didn't really know what to expect but then again expected more than a tacky toyshop. Largely staffed by big kids with very little real first hand experience with young children, we toured uninterrupted, fortunately, bought some items then left. No more Santa? It is only 3 weeks to Xmas!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We decided to pay this famous store a visit to seek out an unusual present to take home to our two grandchildren. Firstly, we could hardly see what was on some of the shelves because of the crowds and secondly the staff on duty were demonstrating different toys all around store on each floor level which resulted in customers huddling around them with no space for people to manoeuver round them. Having bought one of the toys being demonstrated I was disappointed to find that it did not perform so well when I took it home to my granddaughter. I asked a member of staff if they stocked a certain product and was told that she didn't work on that floor so I would have to ask someone in that department. There was no offer of trying to find out for us. Our overall feeling about the whole place is that it needs a good clean and refurbishment.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Went to hamleys as was expecting the GOdfather of all toy shops with exciting things to see and do. Went on a weekday and still busy. Prices are extremely high for toys you can buy in normal high street shops. Was expecting it to be a fun experience, especially in the run up to christmas but nothing really stood out. As most toys are handled boxes were damaged and didn't make toys feel like new. Most demonstration toys were broken, dirty and un impressionable. Not an experience I am going to do again. Not worth the effort.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Just as we remembered it from childhood visits. Lots of staff dressed up, demonstrating toys and interacting with the crowds. Informed, helpful staff on hand throughout store. Clean toilets too!
Do prices have to be so much more than elsewhere? I know it's 'Hamleys' but a bit too highly priced to encourage us to buy more.