“Not as good as I'd hoped”
Review of The Thirsty Bear

The Thirsty Bear
Ranked #8,007 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
London
“Not as good as I'd hoped”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Went there for a burger having read that the pub specialises in them. I ordered the Redneck which comes with pulled pork and mature cheddar. It came on a wooden block that was a bit old and cracked. Whilst I like the whole food on wood thing, if the boards got cracks in it I get a bit nervous about bacteria. The burger patty was well done, which was a shame as I like my burger rare and I wasn't given a choice of how it would be cooked. The brioche-style bun looked pretty, but the inside was a little hard. Not sure if this was on purpose or it was just a bit stale. Pickles inside the bun were heavy on green skin. Thick cut chips were proper nice. My colleague had deep fried Camembert cheese, which looked excellent. The seats were way too small for the table we sat on and the pub's interior was a bit dreary. Service was nice, but the lady behind the served a wrong drink first time round, which she immediately corrected. All in all, not the really inspiring burger I was hoping for. If it was cooked rare, this whole review might be more positive, but you know what it's like when something goes wrong and then you start to question everything. A bit like life really.

• Visited November 2013