We found the London Guest House to be good value for money. London Hotels/B&Bs (the Guest House is advertised as both depending on where you look) are generally expensive and we found the Guest House to be one of the cheaper ones that still offered acceptable quality.
The hotel is in Acton, which is a little bit out of the way of the city center, but we nevertheless felt safe outside at night. There is a bus stop right next to the hotel for bus 266, which runs every 6-8 min on weekdays and will take you to North Acton tube station on the Central line (walking there takes about 20-25 min). From there it is easy to get to the main sights in the city center. Obviously this location isn’t perfect, but considering the prices you pay for a stay in a more central area it’s really quite acceptable. Get an Oyster card from the shop across the road from the hotel to pay for public transportation.
We arrived late at night (about a quarter to one) which was no problem because the reception desk is manned 24 hours a day (we did specify our arrival time during booking to make sure we would not be considered a no-show). Our room was barely large enough for a bed and a small excuse for a desk (it could just about fit our laptop), but it came complete with a small coffee/tea making facility, a large locker (big enough for the laptop), a flat-screen television and a slightly foul-smelling fridge. Don’t expect much space to store your luggage, but for short trips this is hardly an issue. The bathroom looked very new and clean and had a nice strong shower, but was amazingly small. Especially the toilet area could’ve done with a few extra inches of space: I am quite tall and actually had to sit slightly sideways on the toilet to accommodate my legs.
Service was generally good, with staff at the reception desk always available for advice (which is especially welcome since there was no hotel information in the room). There is wireless internet which is supposedly available for a fee, but we got it for free. Reception desk was also helpful when we were kept up at night by someone in a neighboring room having the television on quite loudly: they went up and asked them to turn it down a bit, which had an immediate effect and allowed us to get back to sleep. However, it also shows that the hotel isn’t very soundproof. Additionally, there is a main road outside and a parking lot at the back, which every now and then featured talking people in the early morning, so do expect some city noise. We also experienced a few interesting quirks that come with a small family-run hotel: on one day the clean towels were late due to a problem with their cleaning service, and on another day our dirty coffee cups were replaced with brand new ones that still had the price tags on.
Breakfast was very limited and just about acceptable. A large television was loudly showing BBC News. The selection of food was minimal, even for a free continental breakfast in a budget hotel. All products looked cheap as well. Still, it was enough to get us started in the morning.
To summarize: book this hotel for its value compared to quality. We recommend it for a short stay: it’s clean, there’s a free breakfast included (albeit a minimal one), the staff is nice and the location is ok. We do not recommend it for a longer stay because the small room and bathroom and the limited selection at breakfast would all become annoying after a while.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a friendly, family run B&B in the heart of West London. We are conveniently located near Central London without all the hustle and bustle that comes with it. With easy transports links (3 tube/train stations and 24 hour bus service), Central London is only 20 mins away. All our rooms are en-suite and contain a TV, fridge and tea/coffee-making facilities as well as free wifi. We have free on-site parking and a 24 hour reception desk. We make sure that you depart with our motto "A Home Away From Home" engraved into your mind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your London Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- London Guest House Hotel London
- London Guest House England