“Great location, comfortable rooms, pleasant environment and well priced”
Review of Goodenough Club

Goodenough Club
Ranked #28 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
Melbourne
“Great location, comfortable rooms, pleasant environment and well priced”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I are also both former residents of the college and have just stayed at the club for the second time.

The location is fantastic, walking distance to the British museum and covent garden. Compared to other similarly priced hotels in Bloomsbury the rooms are very comfortable and recently renovated. The only catch is the absence of a lift if you have a 4th floor room, but everytime I have checked in or out the staff have insisted on carrying my bags for me.

There are lots of benefits because of the association with the college - the park and bbqs, the library, the dining hall, Internet access.

We would definitely stay at the goodenough club on future visits.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ClubLondon, Manager at Goodenough Club, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Dear Mljstravel, we are always delighted to welcome back our members to the square and I am thrilled you had an enjoyable stay. Look forward to seeing you again soon in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed at the Goodenough Club for 4 days while passing through London and were very disappointed. When planning our trip, my fiancee and I, both former members of the college which is attached to the club, decided it would be a nice to revisit the college andto stay at the club. My fiancee had previously stayed at the club and had received one of the rooms on the second floor ( a large room overlooking the garden, with high ceilings and traditional decor) and was impressed. However, when we arrived at the club (after over 35 hours of traveling) we were met with a very unhelpful man at the reception desk who gave us our keys and told us we were on the 4th floor. Having traveled a long distance and with considerable luggage, we asked if there was a lift we could use but were told this was not an option and were pointed in the direction of the stairs (and not offered any assistance). After climbing up two very narrow and curving staircases we finally reached our room which was a bit of a shock considering the pictures on the website and the room my fiancee had previously stayed it. We were allocated a very small room with tiny broken windows, old worn out carpet, very low ceilings (I am 5'5 and could reach without standing on my toes) - a student style fake wood desk and closet - and a tiny bathroom (the moldy shower was so small that my fiancee, who is by no means a large man, could not bend down to pick up the shampoo without bumping his head). When I returned downstairs to ask if we could please have another room that resembled the website I was told there there are a limited number of these and that I should have requested a room overlooking the garden with high ceilings - as these tend to book out early- I now see why. My advice to anyone wishing to stay at the club would be to request and confirm a traditional room on one of the lower floors (with high ceilings, overlooking the garden). If they are unable to confirm this request, go elsewhere - for the same price or less you can find a lovely hotel in the same area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Flyinsyd, we are always delighted to have alumni and members back on the square. I am disappointed to read that your stay with us was not comfortable. As you know, we are a grade II listed building and a elevator is a facility we will never have. Knowing this we have at all times a porter on the desk who is on hand to carry luggage for our guests up our three flights of stair, I am sorry you were not offered this service. Your comments were not taken lightly and we are dealing with the staff member in question. I do hope that you will give us another chance in future so we can prove to you that we do know how to provide a comfortable and enjoyable environment in central London.
London
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night a few weeks ago, having stayed once before a few years back and having had a happy experience. The room was comfortable, although it was at the top of several steep flights of stairs, which we were not warned about when booking - and I am 7 months pregnant. However, in the morning my husband could not get the water in the shower to stay hot for more than a few seconds. After 15 mins of trying he called reception and a porter came who fiddled with the settings until hot water appeared and promptly left. Three minutes later the water went cold again. My husband kept trying but ended up having to have a cold shower and was forced to skip breakfast in order to be at work on time, having wasted so much time trying to have a hot shower. I then tried to have a shower and had the same experience. I called reception again and this time a different porter appeared and I insisted that they test the shower for longer. The porter tested the shower and accepted that it was faulty. I was offered the use of another bathroom but I was now dressed and my towel was wet and I did not not want to be late for work myself. The porter informed me that they would notify the management of the problem. When I went to check out and pay my bill, no reduction had been made. I asked the porter/receptionist (who had tested the shower and who had notified management that it was faulty) to speak to the management and after some faffing at the end of the line management informed reception that they could reduce the bill by £5. I took this to be an insult and informed them that £5 did not reflect the inconvenience of cold showers and my husband having to miss breakfast. At no time did the managerial staff apologise for what had happened. After having to wait further whilst the management staff considered the matter further I was then told that my bill would be reduced by £12. I could reach no other conclusion than the fact that the management were utterly useless and considered a youth hostel experience to be acceptable at hotel prices. I would never recommend this hotel ever again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ClubLondon, Manager at Goodenough Club, responded to this review, September 21, 2009
Dear Anna, thank you for your comments. I am disappointed your stay with us was not as successful as pervious. Our maintenance team has now resolved the shower issue. As you are aware from your pervious stay in June 08, the Club is a Grade II listed building with no lifts, I have entered a comment for you to be allocated ground or first floor rooms in the future, not second or third like in the past. I queered with reservations as to your refund and your rate was reduced from £130 to £99 sorry if this reduction was mismanaged. I do hope that we can make this up to you on a future visit if you are prepared to give us another chance.
Coventry
Reviewed August 29, 2009

First time 1 night stay in London. Travelled with my partner from Coventry, originally to watch a musical, but this establishment is so well located, we managed to visit Covent Garden & The British Museum the next day. Tube is within easy walking distance (Russell Square) and lots of gardens and restaurants nearby.
Although check in is not until 3pm, reception staff very helpful and accommodating . Room was spaciousand clean and breakfast next day in the college a relaxed and an excellent experience where again the staff are extremely helpful.
All in all everything perfect and cannot wait to return.
Thankyou to everyone @ The Goodenough Club.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed August 25, 2009

On the point of giving up the search for hotel that ticked all our boxes when quite by chance we stumbled across the Goodenough Club.

The booking of our suite couldn't have been easier - thank you to Dean. Cost was very reasonable compared to other hotels. The suite was very nice indeed. Very grand features. Good quality decor and furniture - will no doubt be better still as all new furniture arrived the morning we departed.

Staff on reception were all very pleasamt and helpful. Only has limited number of parking spaces as most hotels but very secure and reasonable price. You need to reserve your space at time of booking to secure a space if any left.

My only criticism is aimed at the catering company contracted by Goodenough to run the catering. The front of house staff in the restaurant were all somewhat unpleasant. One in particular, Pauletta I believe her name was, was downright rude most of the time. My patience finally snapped with her on the last evening when I had to make a formal complaint to her supervisor. I reckon by the sound of it this lady is the same lady mentioned in review dated 22 Aug. Goodenough really do need to address this staff issue as it reflects badly on the hotel as a whole. We began to increasingly not look forward to eating in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Jasper2009
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed in a first floor (no lift) garden suite, one of four in the four Georgian townhouses which make up this club at the moment. It is a short walk from Russell Square station and across the road from the private Mecklenburgh Square, which you have access to while you stay. The high speed internet connection is free.
The rooms were spacious and very well appointed. You walked a short distance to Goodenough College (which offers accommodation to post graduate students) to have breakfast in the Great Hall. The food was great but it was presided over by a terrifying woman who seemed to change her mind each day about what it was we were allowed to eat. (Those not staying in the Club have to pay for each item and there are prices on display accordingly).
The British Museum is about 10 minutes walk away.
It is generally a lovely area. We especially enjoyed the good pub food at the Friend at Hand pub nearby. Don't bother with Ciao Bella restaurant which is also nearby- the worst Italian meal I have ever suffered. Do try Carluccio's, also an Italian restaurant, which is across from the station in a lovely set of shops, along with the every reliable Pret a Manger chain. You can also eat meals at the College, though we didn't.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank KiwitravellerAkl
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Most previous observations here are very much endorsed.

Overall, we loved the place - the atmosphere; the quirkiness; the dissimilarity with any mere London hotel.

Very highly recommended - not necessarily cheap, but extremel civilised and excellent value nevertheless'

We would gladly return.