Goodenough Club
$215
$188
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsno liftlondon housemecklenburgh squarequiet squarebritish museumcontinental breakfastprivate parkinternational studentshalls of residencekings crossrussell square tubeharry pottertennis courtsground floor roommain buildingfull englishsingle room
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I was put up here by an inviting university. Overall I was very happy. Great location, on the direct Underground line (Picadilly) from Heathrow, then 5 minutes walk. Clean, reasonably quiet, solid wifi. I was in one of the 'Mews' room (601) which worked out fine. I understand that some may find all the glass a bit too exhibitionistic but I closed the blinds and did not have a problem with it.

One minor gripe I have is that they did not replenish the shampoo/soap while I was there (3 days). Do they expect guests to go shampoo shopping??

Also, the front desk is supposedly staffed 24/7 but when I called the night before leaving to ask for a wake-up call, nobody answered the phone. I got my clothes on and walked to the reception (through the rain since I was not in the main building) and it was locked and nobody there. I called again a half hour later and the receptionist was back. Not really a big deal but this, together with the shampoo things, makes me lower my service grade a bit. Oh, I did receive my wake up call the next morning.

I only could partake in the breakfast one morning since I had to attend early meetings the other days. I went for the cooked breakfast in the college across the street and it was very good (and very English!). The usual tea-making paraphernalia are available in the room, plus a dorm-sized fridge.

I did not pay but I saw the bill paid by the university and it was extremely reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ErnestFromBaltimore
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed one night for NYE.

A few minutes walk to/from several tube stations, the Goodenough Club is spread over a number of different buildings around Mecklenburgh Square. We were upgraded to a suite with a decent sized bedroom, huge living room (see photos) and a shower room. Reception was in the building adjacent to where our room was situated and check-in was very smooth.

We were told that a continental breakfast was served in the same building as the reception but if we wanted a cooked breakfast we needed to go across the road. It is only a short walk but you are effectively eating in canteen. This said, the food was fine and there was a good choice.

Free wi-fi and a small fridge are provided but couldn't find a safe that we could use. The bedroom had a large wardrobe, plenty of drawer space, tea making facilities and a couple of bottles of water.

Eat at the Lamb in Lamb's Conduit Road, a minute or two's walk away. Good beer and nice food.

The place is efficiently run, the staff were friendly and the room was very clean.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiggerwoods
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had spent 4 days in this hotel which I considered is very good from different aspects,service is very good but ask them not to forget to put water in your room but the room service in it is very good.The front office employee is very helpful.the option that you could take a light breakfast in same building or you could move to another building to eat a complete breakfast is very good and make you won't feel boring.
If I came again to London, i would love to stay there

Room Tip: It's better to stay in the rooms in the uper floor because the hotel is consist only of 2 floors and may be people come in and out to the building will make you feel annoyed
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Not a 4start hotel per se but a well run BR with collegial atmosphere - exactly what it purports to be. Those booked into upper floor rooms in this 5 storey town house complex - can expect a tedious walk up a narrow flight of stairwell. Definitely not for senior travellers with heavy luggage. Otherwise, the rooms are clean and well kept for a room at this price range in this part of town. The particular room I checked into suffered from broken mini-fridge (completely unoperational) and a sink that was slow to drain - but these were not fatal shortcomings for my short stay this time. The front desk staff are friendly and prompt.

Room Tip: it may be a case of "you get what you pay for". I stayed in a single on the 3F (in the UK sense of the term) which faced the back of the building - and was very quiet. The Mews rooms appear to be rather noisier according to other guests. Larger rooms and Suites may offer rooms that are closer to the ground floor - and where the long trek up the stairs may be less of an issue.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 26, 2013

A great location, you can stroll here from Euston in 15 minutes. If you have yet to discover Bloomsbury this makes the perfect start. All the rooms are unique and in different houses on Mecklenburgh Square. You may have to leave a house to get your breakfast but it's only a few yards. The room I stayed in was super clean, massive bed, on-suite bathroom. tea and coffee, television and free wi-fi. The breakfast is self serve as much as you can eat. I think they could improve the cooked elements (crispy bacon would be nice), but a wide variety of Cereal, bread, fruit etc. It is a college atmosphere with lots of Postgraduate International Students and University staff/academics the main clientele.

Good value in comparison to other less interesting hotels. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business