“Good Budget Hotel”
Review of Royal Guest House

Royal Guest House
Ranked #246 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Easy quick check in good location good transport links, my room was single room. it was clean with newly refurbished bath room. The WiFi was good in all over the building. But room was in front of hotel and was a bit noisy.I would prefer the room on back of hotel as there would be less noise.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ansar18
There are newer reviews for Royal Guest House

Reviewed January 21, 2011

We decided to stay at the Royal Guest House as we were going to GB40 at the Shepherds Bush Empire and wanted a place nearby just to get ready and to sleep after the show. When we arrived from Swansea after navigating The London Transport System we were 2 weary travellers. Imagine our delight when we saw just how close the place was to the venue! After carrying our heavy bags all that way we just wanted to go to our room and put them down and relax a bit. Unfortunately when we arrived we were told that these guys own 4 houses along that same road and that we had to stay in a house which was twice as far away! Absolutely shattered we then had to walk from number 47 to number 87 and we weren't impressed at all! We finally arrived where we were staying and were met by a young man who seemed more interested chatting on his mobile then looking after his guests. We got the key and found our room. It was a basement room, quite small and it had 3 single beds crammed into it. The decor left alot to be desired and the lamp shades were cracked. Apart from that though the room was clean and it did the job. Altho being twice as far as te first place it was still well within walking distance and we had a good night. In the morning we go up in time for breakfast but don't expect a full English. We were asked how we liked our eggs. And then got a plate of eggs and toast!!! But still it was better then nothing and it did the job! The rooms all have flat screen tvs in them and the bathrooms are quite modern. All in all it did what it says on the tin but don't expect anything mind blowing!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank matt-and-vix
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Firstly we arrived at royal court guest house, nobody was there and had to wait outside. once somebody turned up and showed us in they said we were not staying and were going to be booked in at another hotel about 15 minutes walk away. I have never experienced this before and thought it was very odd. Perhaps the hotels owners should advise their clients when booking that they may be placed in another location. When we finally found the hotel they sent us to it was clean, room was tiny. Breakfast room was tiny consisted of 2 x 4 seater tables and 1 x 2 seat table , so there was no room to sit and we had to stand and wait for others to finish eating before we could have breakfast. Poor selection and instant coffee, only scrambled eggs as hot option which were not very good (when booked paid extra for cooked breakfast, so what we received was not what i was expecting). For one night it is acceptable and i would have prob been more forgiving if the whole arrival scenario was better.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank axapta55
Reviewed October 7, 2009

We actually booked a room at the Golden Strand for 4 nights but when we arrived, we were told they had no available room for us and we had to go down to 47 Shepheds Bush for our room - the Royal Guest House. Apparently The Royal Guest House, Royal Guest House 2, Rex Hotel, and Golden Strand are all owned by the same family. They all look exactly alike from the outside.
We stayed in Room #4 on the main level. I believe it is the only room on the main level. It was clean, and the gentleman who ran the place was very nice. The room however was the tiniest hotel room I have ever seen in my life. We had a double room, it was L-shaped with one side taking up the entire bed. You could probably open the front door and jump onto the bed from there, but your head would hit the ceiling light, so don't do that. You can stand/sit in the middle of either side of the L and outstretch your arms to touch both walls on either side. If you wanted, you could actually use the toilet and brush your teeth at the same time as your knees hit the sink when you sat down. The toilet seat was cracked and bit my butt every time I used it. Ouch. The bathroom is the size of a small closet, the entire room is the size of a small walk-in closet...but the bed was comfy and we weren't there to stay in a room anyway. Be careful with the shower settings..you could burn the crap out of yourself. There was a refrigerator and TV. It was in walking distance to the tube station and the Hammersmith Apollo so that was great. I probably would not stay there again, but it was an experience at least.
Oh, they have a free internet connection but my laptop would not connect to it...or even recognize it, but they let me connect to the Rex Hotel's router for free, so that was good.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank i_heart_roadtrips
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I had a 3 week trip to London planned and so was booked in the Royal Guest House with colleagues Monday-Friday. I was told in the middle of a tube strike that unfortunately they had double booked my room and i would have to find somewhere else to stay. needless to say not impressed. However when my next trip came around i was booked in again as my colleagues had no problmes whilst staying there. 5 times over the course of a week and a half was the room confirmed for another 3 weeks stay however a couple of days before my stay i received a phone call to say that unfortunately they didnt have a room for me again! This was right in the middle of the wimbledon tournament so hotel rooms are hard to find at this time with no help from the hotel whatsoever as to any suggestions of other hotels. All in all if you want a room guaranteed, dont book in here!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2007

Do not stay in this hotel, even if you are desperate. My husband and I have just returned from this hotel and to our horror have been bitten by fleas severely (a doctor has confirmed this, we have over 150 bites between us). This hotel has an infestation problem, while we were there the council was inspecting another room and advising that the mattress should be disposed of.
Apart from the flea problem there were other issues, we stayed in December and despite the room being cold I was told that the heating would be turned on at 4pm (it later went off at 8pm). One room I was given just had an oil filled temporary radiator as the heating had broken down. Both the rooms I stayed in had sticky bathroom carpet mats and the rooms generally were very tatty and old. One room had the bathroom window patched up with a piece of cardboard (no wonder I was cold!).
I advise you not to stay here there are other hotels in London in this price range that are a lot better.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 13, 2007

First thing to mention is that if you book this hotel you can end up in another "hotel" along the road - namely Balkan, Bex and another. It doesn't really matter because they all complete and utter rubbish.

Myself and friends booked two rooms at this hotel. A double room costs £65. For that, I got a cheap mattress, a window curtain hanging desperately to life and a tiny bathroom that was separated by a plastic door curtain that not even Ikea would sell in its shops. This door curtain separating the toilet/shower and the bedroom was itself torn and couldn't be shut - i guess that's one way to get know your partner! At least it was better than my friends room - where she was playing a game of "spot the pubic hair" on her pillows and unfortunately spotting a few!

There is a iron and ironing board that you can have, but first you have to track down a person to get the stupid thing. Then, you have to find room in your chosen hovel to put the thing up. My double room was barely big enough to swing a cat! Lucky i packed a jumper!

The worse came after I returned late at night. First, the radiator was on full blast and the room was pretty hot. You couldn't really open the window because quite frankly anyone could just climb in! The fridge had iced over my water and less said about the sorry excuse for a shower the better. Well, I'm still waiting for hot water anyway.

The best bit (well it amuses my friends) was that at 7.00am I was woken up and realised that my room was basically tagged onto a kitchen. So I got to hear them serving breakfast for two hours, then washing the dishes (or at least sounding like that!) and then just to make sure I was completely bonkers with anger they started vaccuming outside of my door. I wouldn't mind so much if a) the food was nice (I wasn't so foolish to try), b) you could notice that an attempt had been made to keep the place clean!

Still, at least they decided to turn off the heating from wherever the switch was. Thanks for that. Funny thing was that my friend and her partner in the "hotel" next door were living in baltic (ie freezing) conditions.

I got dressed, gave up any attempt to have a shower or wash and went to Wetherspoons for a breakfast. This experience (and the one at Paddington earlier this year) leads me to conclude that you cannot spend less than £100 a night on a hotel in central london and expect to be treated as a human being. It's an absolute dive and i'm really embarassed that anyone from outside this country should visit the UK and experience this rubbish. I will never, ever slag off travelodge or other budget hotel chains again. At least they can usually get a shower to work and the bed isn't that uncomfortable!

It's not really in a decent location either. There are a few night buses about but that's about. Remind me why we visit London again please! Because I'm running out of reasons! Pay more elsewhere and enjoy yourself. You'll spend more on therapy otherwise!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)