“Dreadful!”

Chelsea House Hotel
Ranked #225 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed here while attending a wedding in Chelsea. We arrived about mid-day and were allowed to leave our luggage in the breakfast room. As we are not young and not very mobile we had asked for a downstairs room but were given one up many flights of stairs. The receptionist eventually helped us with our case.

The room was incredibly small - two single beds with a gap between them, no bedside table, nor light switch by the bed, nor wardrobe. Instead of the latter there were two wire coat hangers on the back of the door. We tried to push the beds together and then found that this exposed pipes by the window which jutted out and my husband nearly fell over them.

The beds were clean but incredibly uncomfortable. The bathroom was modern but there was no plug in the basin.

Breakfast was minimal and had to be taken in shifts. We were offered cereal, tea, coffee, orange juice and two pieces of sliced bread toast. The receptionist did get us a taxi to Kings Cross.

We would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angie R

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We booked at this B and B when in London for a wedding, as it was on a list provided by the bride. We arrived about an hour before check in time and were told we were too early. At least we were able to leave our luggage while we went out to fill in time. Room small but clean. We couldn't switch off the light over the mirror in the bathroom and was told they weren't able to fix it. After one night with light coming through the bathroom door, my husband fixed it by taking the light fixture apart.
Breakfast adequate but somewhat mediocre.
At 10:45 on the morning we were leaving, someone was knocking on the door to remind us we had to be out by 11:00.
I didn't like having to leave the room key at reception, where they are hung on a board in full view of anyone coming in to the hotel.
Price reasonable for London, but on our last visit to London we stayed at a very reasonably priced hotel which was much better value than this one.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in January 2013 with two adults and two children aged 4 and 2. The location is great, it's a calm neighbourhood with easy access to many museums, Hyde Park, shopping and restaurants. It's also within easy access of local transport. The staff was very kind and helpful. The rooms are a little on the small side but the staff went to great lengths to provide for the children. Most of the floors in the hotel are wood, which looks great, but really is not very practical in terms of noise. The breakfast was tasty but a bit pricey for what you get, and like most hotels in London it's very expensive. I can't see the value for money, but I think that's a big city phenomenon. Despite the minus points I would stay here again for the area which I like very much.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back are quieter, facing away from the main street and onto the Mews behind. Higher...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2013

London is expensive so if you need something that is good location wise this is all it has going for it. We expected very basic; clean and safe. I found one manager helpful with directions and recommending a place for dinner. Another one was not friendly at all. Internet access must be done from the breakfast area at the front of the hotel.The rooms were clean but very small (again, to be expected). The bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable but sheets were clean. More blankets would have been nice as the room was quite cold at night (third floor). We made tea at night and the next day the dirty cup was still there when we came back after touring. There were a few times when the front desk was vacant and we saw guests having to wait to get their keys. Not a great experience after a long day of touring but we didn't experience this. The showers varied from lots of water and pressure to none, to either all hot water or all cold. At one point I couldn't wash my hair as I was sculled by the water. Breakfast is very basic and they didn't seem ready for all the guests that arrived in the morning. On the day of departure (at 6:45 am), the manager was at the door to be sure our cab arrived and wished us well on our travels.

Overall, they have lots of work to do. One manager is quite good but the other needs lessons in hospitality. We took the perspective it was merely a place to sleep and nothing more. They appear to want to simply get away with the minimum and really don't care about their guests or their comfort. After all the B& Bs I've stayed in when travelling in Europe, this was one of the most disappointing. I hope they take all the feedback many have given and work to improve the place because the location is quite attractive.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This has got to be the worst hotel/b&b I have ever stayed in!!

Me & my boyfriend stayed here for 1 night after we went for a Chelsea stadium tour it was walking distance to the hotel which was ok & the outside didn't look to bad, we walked in and the house looked so old we wasn't greeted just Asked which name I booked it under, asked me to fill a few details and made me pay straight away before we Evan looking at our room, which I must say was shocking.

We wer placed on the 1st floor and as we walked in to the room it was the size of a box the cupboards wer wonky the tv was placed on a fridge that looked as tho it came from a scrap yard, the curtains wer discusting and there wer stains all up the walls we opened the curtains to the view of a brick wall!!! & a massive draft coming through the window which didn't Evan shut properly. The bathroom was dirty it had no plug in the sink which I nearly lost my mascara down! Broken locks on the doors! Discraseful!

When we turned on the television it came up in Spanish! And didn't Evan work I then asked at reception and the staff member was very rude & unhelpful, we then spent 15 mins trying to tune it in! The bed was made out to be a double when really it was just 2 single beds pushed together which I nearly fell down the gap by the way!

As for the CONTINENTAL breakfast well that's a different story we wer offered stingy bowls of cereal vile coffee & 2 pieces of dry toast which took 25 mins to come out!

after an awful experience We couldn't wait to leave this building so as we left we handed our keys & didnt evan give them a thank you, I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to anyone I would have rather slept under a bus shelter than in this dump of a b&b

Disappointing & a waste of money!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed December 31, 2012

You don't really expect to complain within 5 mins of being in our room, but we did. Sticky carpet, either old gum or carpet glue, a toilet that wouldn't stop filling and a sink that took an age to empty, ie blocked!! Bed was comfy and plenty of hot water for a shower. Continental Breakfast, minus the Continental was an experience....2 white and 2 brown slices of toast were plonked in front of us, not a croissant in sight. On our way out, the metal handles on the exterior of the front door were being vigorously cleaned to within a mm of its coating....if only they would apply half the energy to making sure that the rooms are ready for paying guests!!
We shall not be returning or recommending.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Browneyes569
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We arrrived and was told we cant check in until 2pm it was 1:40.

The so called double room was 2twin beds pushed together, and 2 single duvets
Bathroom was dirty.
Staff were rude and unhelpful.
Breakfast...not enough seats so was told to wait in lobby until tables were free, 20mins later.

Overall very disappointed