“Lack of hot water”

Ranked #1,017 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Odense
“Lack of hot water”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Our stay at Earls Court Gardens Hotel was influenced by a lack of hot water some of the days during our stay, and when I went down to the reception to have i fixed, they told me they couldn't do anything. Young people sat in the reception and they were friendly and seemed like they wanted to help, but maybe some boss further back was not prepared to get the water problem fixed. Apart from that was the hotel very primitive but if you only need a place to sleep, it's fine, We couldn't make the announced wifi work either.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The rooms were so dirty and we found that the room was not cleaned because there was a cigarette butt and sugar on the floor! We were going to spend three nights and paid by cash when we checked in. However, after finding those dirts in our room, we decided to leave there, so we spent only one night and left the hotel. The receptionist agreed to refund for the other two nights and told me that the money would be transferred to my UK bank account within 2 weeks. I sent e-mails three times but they replied only once saying 'this is not immediate'. 2 weeks already passed but I still haven't got the money or replied any emails. They ignored all the e-mails and the hotel manager is always unavailable when I called them. It's just so weird! Our holiday was ruined and the money hasn't come back. I feel terrible. I cannot believe that this kind of hotel is running in lovely London. Really disappointing. I'm still waiting for the money to be refunded.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The reviews are true, it is not much of a hotel. But we got a good nights sleep, near the tube station. We had a room in the basement, shared bathroom. The boxes of rat poison we saw were probably needed. But everything was working. At that price range it is better to search a few stations less central. The two persons of th staff we met was nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Exeter
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Let me say that when I booked this hotel, I did not read any reviews, but from the on-line booking service I was aware of the shared bathrooms, the lack of certain facilities, etc. And I was travelling alone, leaving my wife behind with my family. In my 65 years I have extensively travelled around the world, including some 20 years military service, where on exersize you don't have the luxury of porcelain flushing loos, or even courtesey curtains in the shower room. I have lived in dormitories, and shared facilities.

This place is not really as bad as is (not) painted but it is not great either. But for a start, the price ( paid 55 GBP per night) for its location, is in itself excellent value for money .. two minutes from the major Underground Station, and the Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

I was put on the top floor ... a tough climb for an OAP like myself, and once installed, decided to read the reviews, and start to write mine. Well, i am going to disappoint some of you doom-mongers from "The End of the World is Nigh Brigade" that I did not see, let alone hear one miserable mouse, there was no mould nor mildew in the bathrooms! I was hopnig to find a dirty T-shirt or two, and take them home to replace those borrowed by my grandchildren, but :No".

I went to buy some WC paper from reception, only to be told it was already in the bathrooms. And I waited for ages to see who this women was offering services for cash; but she didn't show her face (or whatever else it was she was supposed to show!) either.

There was evidence of work being undertaken (in fact, the website also said so), A plumber was present with his silicone gun. There was evidence of fresh paint, and polyfilla. Vacuum cleaners littered the staircase.

I would go again, but not on the top floor, and not with my wife, that is true.

And the young lady receptionist was excellent!

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor at all costs. The doors slam shut, despite the occupants attempts to stop them...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AlfredtheGreat
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were desperate for accommodation and didn't take the time to read reviews. My aim is to write an impartial review, as it was not all bad...

Location - fantastic. Near the metro and bus stops...great part of town and a beautiful street.

Front desk staff - were very friendly, efficient and spoke good English. Cleaner was friendly too. Absolutely no problems there, check in and out was a breeze.

Hallways/general - flies buzzing around constantly, old carpet, very creaky and loud stairs, damp smell.

Bathroom - other than the black mould all over the walls and ceiling, bathrooms were clean and everything worked fine (water pressure was great, plenty of hot water). Toilet paper was not replenished by cleaning staff even after 2 days.

Bedroom - very dated but it was clean with good sheets and towels. Plenty of space to manouevre, unpack etc. Beds were old and springy but after a few drinks one can get some sleep. Trains rumble by all the time but you do get used to it. Walls are paper thin - pray you don't have a noisy neighbour. I had a biscuit in my backpack and in the middle of the night woke up to find 2 black mice rustling around eating it. Needless to say I was not impressed, as they disappeared into a wall/floor cavity once I got them out. For the rest of the night I heard mice running around and squeaking in the room.

Overall, the conditions of this hotel are not something I have come to expect in a first-world country, even with the low price tag.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Since most of London's hotels were booked, this was one of the cheapest and had availability in a short amount of time. The service, the area, and the hotel room is absolutely shocking was we received and how we were treated. The "shared" bathroom was out of service, no wifi, reeking smell of mold growing, and urine stains on bed sheets. It was utterly repulsive.

Room Tip: stay away, you have been warned
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kcrevani
London
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel should not be allowed to operate. Mice ate the chocolates in my handbag at night; filthy; noisy; incredibly uncomfortable bed; impossible to sleep due to traffic noise, bed springs, plumbing. This hotel should be closed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family