“Disgusting”

Earls Court Gardens Hotel
Ranked #1,017 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 28, 2011

An awful hotel, we had dirty bed sheets and dirty towels, mouldy wardrobe!! The toilet had a hole in the floor in which water bubbled out of when another toilet was flushed. Worst place I have ever seen! It took us two hours and alot of shouting to get our money back! Disgraceful!!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Willowdvs

Reviewed June 5, 2011

This place was disgusting, the worst place I have ever stayed and should be closed down. I spent the night there, but never stayed for breakfast, wasn't risking my life!!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Sometimes, when places are this cheap and are too good to be true, all the below is true. I booked a one night stay in a family room for 4, for one night at the Earls Court Garden Hotel for myself and 3 friends. £75 for the four of us. Very Cheap for London for four. The one positive thing is location to Earls Court Tube Station. About 2 minutes walking. Now the negatives. Where do i start!!!
A family room which shows you in the pictures as four beds is not. Its 2 dirty bunk beds!! Any family planning on staying. Don't do it. Not for you or your kids. Its filthy. Dirty carpet that is older than myself i would imagine and last saw a clean maybe last year. The booking will lead you to believe that you have your own bathroom, not true, its a communal style cupboard/shower room with a 1970's shower head and a sink with no warm water and a tiny shower curtain that is good for nothing. So if you're on the 3rd floor like us, you must go downstairs for warm water. No curtains in the room on one window, instead a Sainsburys bag hanging in the window to block the light out. What the website doesn't tell you that you are right under a tube line. So every six minutes from 6 am you will be woken by the tube until 1 in the morning. Tea making facilities - nope. 4 plastic cups that you would get from a water dispensing machine. You'd probably scald your hands if you poured hot water in there, that's if they didn't melt from the hot water in the first place.
Nowhere to lock valuables, and the door to the family room could have been knocked open without any force. None of this is exaggerated. If you really need a cheap room shop around or just spend that extra £10 as you truely will be furious if you stay in this dirty, beyond basic germ ridden hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank becca3978
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I read the reviews on this hotel before we went i was dreading it, i imangined all sorts of bugs and creatures sharing our room with us.

It was not that bad, the rooms and bathroom where both clean, the hotel is in need of a major refurbishment, but that about it.

Yes it is next to the underground track, which did not bother either of us, but may if your a very light sleeper, but it didnt wake us personally up.

The hotel is very old and in the morning you could hear every one walking about, doors slamming and people talking, but when we was going to bed the previous night around 11, it was quiet (except for the trains)

the hotel is in a perfect location , 1 minute walk from the tube station, which is admist an array of shops,bars and resturants.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chezbabe24
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I could not stay here ,
It was filthy, we checked in and left within 5 mins, our clothes and shoes were distroyed just from check in,
The room was covered with dust, and smelt fusty, and the trains run right past the window, its right against the track. Also was a shared bathroom wich was in a discusting state,
When we said we were leaveing, the recptionist (who did not have good english) laughed as if we were crazy, i spoke to 3 staff and none of them had good english,
But they had the neck to charge me a miserable £40,
I can only advise anyone not to stay here, Its a discrace, and not even worth £10, its not fit for rats or pigs, its the worst i have ever seen,

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PatMcCourt
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I stayed at Earls Court Gardens for just one night in Oct 2010. London was fully booked these days (Frieze art fair + BFI film festival) so I had to take advantage of this 45£ sort of deal for a double room with single use. I got there at 7:30pm and was 'welcomed' by a young guy who showed no interest, no enthusiasm and asked £10 for a key deposit, which I was sure I would have never seen again (but instead I did, the morning after!). My room was on first floor, with a tiny window overlooking the underground. I literally couldn't close my eyes after 5am, as trains were passing EVERY single minute. Room was dirty, wallpapers were falling off the walls and some strange holes on the ceiling made me feel uncomfortable. I checked the room for cockroaches and fortunately didn't find any, but I had a brief encounter with one during a late night pee in the first floor toilet which scared the hell out of me. There was a 'nice' bathroom on the second floor - definitely the best and cleanest in the whole building - where the only shower was running. The heating was so high it was almost unbearable, but I had to wash a few pairs of socks and they happened to be dry in minutes...
The hotel is a couple minutes walk from Earl's Court tube stop, so I'd say the location is good, at least.
The reception guy made a mistake with my payment (made me pay £5 less for my room, so the day after he only gave me £5 back from the key deposit). Be careful!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank simovalley
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I booked over Easytobook.com and paid 80 GBP for single basic room for 3 nights. Very good, for this excellent location! Very frienly indian gentleman welcomed me. But...there was a room on the first floor with window that can not close, very old building, carpet and furniture which didn´t bother me so much, because I went to hotel only to leave my shopping bags and to sleep- which I couldn´t - because tube was running direcly under my window, which I couldn´t close, heating was on so it was like sauna. Dirty water heater with remains of tee and stinky water in the room - I was afraid of insects and rats - but they probably put the powder against them - that´s why the hotel has a suspitious smell.
Sheets and towels were clean. Bathrom is tiny and old, shared of 4 rooms.
After I complaind after my first night about lack of sleep I was given another room on the third floor, which was slightly better. Noise from the undergroung was there, at least they didn´t heat and I could close the window. Under the window is a small place where other guests throw their garbage, so I could count emzy cans of beers, boxes and garbage.
In the bathroom on the third floor, there is no water for the shower, probably low pressure for the third floor. The same for WC. You come to pee and you find stuff inside.
On my departure I asked back key deposite (I gave only 5 GBP) and I was given only 2 GBP back, because the young guy didn´t have 5 to give me back.
I would not recommend this place. I would not go again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo