“Mecca for book lovers”
Review of Foyles Bookshop

Foyles Bookshop
Ranked #8 of 738 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Soho's 100 year old eclectic bookstore.
Brussels, Belgium
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Mecca for book lovers”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have visited Foyles many times over the years. This latest visit was a bit of a surprise since the shop has cleaned up its erstwhile slightly disorganised look and feel. Gone are the messy stacks and other old skool bulk bookshop facets which I actually liked in the past. Still, Foyles remains a must-visit shop if you're at all into new books on any subject.

Visited July 2012

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit when in London”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I have visited Foyles bookshop in London twice now & hopefully soon for a third time.I have looked on both occasions for books & the staff I found were very helpful & found what I was looking,I ended up buying more than I entended.You could definately spend a small fortune on books in this store-only question is where are all going to go when you get home?!
The coffee shop looks very nice as well,didn't get to try it as it was far too busy.
It's only a short walk from Leicester Sq tube station & not too far from Charing Cross as well.

London, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“This used to be excellent now very good.”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

An old fashioned bookshop trying to come up to date. The strength is in their selection of books, the number of topics they cover, and the range within each. At least 5 floors I think covering most subjects, many in depth. I went this year wanting a book on Jewish London. How to be a DJ, Existential Psychotherapy, and a lighthearted look at Vogue. Bingo. The had all four. It used to be bigger, they sold off half of it, and it had a great second hand department in the basement, ran by a wizardly old lady straight out of Harry Potter. All gone now. we could buy books at the Selfridges sale and resell them to Foyles and pay for a day out in London. Worth a wander if you need a book or have time to spend. They do good educational talks, and events and it is always worth checking their website for what is coming up. The range is vast and may include talks by authors or special exhibitions. Many are free. It is situated in the Charing Cross Road area near theaters and second hand and specialty bookshops as well. Close to Leicester Square. It is about to move into larger premises again at the old St Martins College of Art. I am waiting eagerly to see what they add and change.

Visited December 2011
Vienna, Austria
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“When in London always visit Foyles”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Foyles is my favorite bookshop in Europe. It has everything that you can think of and the staff knows it all. They are very good in assisting you with what you are looking for. From children's books to philosophical ones. from collin's gems to huge atlas books. etc.. They have it all!!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank CDRO
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
568 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 869 helpful votes
“Fabtastic range of books - average staff....”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

When it comes to finding that certain book Foyles are brilliant. Their range is impressive and the books are well displayed in a bright comfortable enviroment. Although unable to compete with specialists ( For example Sandfords is far better for Travel books...) as a general purveyor of books they are just the job. I believe they are the biggest bookshop in the UK (or were). I could spend hours, nay days, in here. Add to this the close proximity of Tottenham Ct tube station Foyles is an ideal shop.

However I have two reservations. I ordered a book online to be picked up in store. Travelled down from Cambridge (It's self not short of booksellers) and was told they only had one and had lost it. They had e-mailled me that day - which if one is travelling down is a bit late. I can live with this.... nothings perfect. However when I suggested I get a discount on another book I fancied as some goodwill I was looked at asif I had suggested removing my feet with a toothpick ! Half hearted apology and please be on your way.......

Secondly I never feel the staff are overly "happy". I dont want a have a nice day culture - smile might be nice.

BUT as a bookshop its very good - touch of humanity from the staff and it would approach perfect