“Faultless service”
Review of The Soho Hotel

The Soho Hotel
Ranked #18 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The difference between an OK Hotel and a really good one is down to the way the staff have been trained. At the Soho Hotel as with other Firmdale Hotels, the training must be very good because all of the staff I met during my one night business stay gave exceptional service.

I came back from a meeting just after the normal checkout time and asked if I could have a little longer to freshen up. The answer with no hesitation was "of course you can, can I help you with your luggage". It seemed like whatever the question, the answer was yes.

I have an excellent light lunch and then needed to get my car and retrieve my luggage. I went to the desk to ask for the car only to have had my need anticipated and the car was ready outside complete with luggage neatly placed in the car. I was escorted to the car just to check that everything was in place and then given a bottle of water for my journey.

Nothing seemed too much trouble and the impression was that the staff were there for the client which of course is exactly how it should be.

Although not cheap, I will definitely go back and would recommend wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank bmlbml
Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the Soho's sister hotel on Charlotte street several times and loved it, so when the opportunity arose to book a room at the Soho I jumped at it. Unfortunately the whole experience was somewhat of a let down. Yes the place is beautiful and the rooms are well appointed, but I'm slowly beginning to tire of Kit Kemp's design ethos. Is it boho chic or borderline Cath Kidston?

That's a matter of personal taste obviously, what really disappointed me was the service. After a long days travelling I just wanted a quiet cuppa in my room, not too difficult a request for such a quintessentially British hotel surely? Wrong! I tried every which way to contact room service but my room phone couldn't connect, I then contacted reception and they got room service to contact me. After asking if I could be provided with tea making facilities or would I have to order a pot of tea I was told that yes they could provide a kettle etc. I was never once informed that there would be a charge for this. I then waited 45 minutes to get a kettle and some teabags sent to my room, but when they arrived there was no milk. An hour and half after first calling reception I finally got everything I needed to make my tea.

This may sound incredibly nit picking but at £370 for the night (with breakfast) I'm not sure it's a reasonable waiting time. Adding insult to injury, the following morning I discovered I'd been charged £11 for the privilege! It made me realise that however lovely the hotel, it's got the basics wrong. Yes, there's Krug fizz and fancy popcorn in the mini-bar but God forbid they provide a kettle, tea & a couple of biscuits...

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
9  Thank Robertsdesk
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Visited here for Afternoon tea, with my Husband Back in December. I need gluten free & this has to be the tastiest GF food I've had in a long time! Really happy with the service, they were very attentive without overdoing it & interrupting you.
The Sandwich plate was refilled (which is what you want as they are dainty little finger sandwiches). My husbands 'normal' food scored extremely well with him & looked awesome. Highly recommend this afternoon tea to everyone (although i'd rather keep it my secret!!)

Decor was Fantastic, very clean & tidy.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katrina W
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

London was our first stop from Australia
We arrived at the soho and were so incredibly surprised with the magnificent rooms
They are so comfortable and spacious
The hotels staff are fantastic especially the concierges
We loved it and wouldn't stay anywhere else
Best breakfast in Europe
Thanks for starting our trip off with the best we could have imagined
It was a superb experience

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Feral23
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our room was massive by London standards, and the service was second to none. Did a bit of celebrity spotting. Very cool place to stay. It's not cheap by any standard but would highly recommend if you want to push the boat out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alison R
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed at this very nice hotel, mid week on business. Great decor, friendly service, well appointed room & great breakfast. Really great location in the middle of Soho, but still very quiet.
Would happily return on a weekend with my wife.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Leedsaway67
Reviewed January 27, 2014

In the middle of SoHo and yet very peaceful. I am fan of all Firmdale hotels and this one is no exception. Stayed on the third floor, no view, but the room was gorgeous.

The breakfast was great, but there were some unlucky details. The kitchen is open, they offered salmon that morning as a special and I stank of fish afterwards, had to change my clothes.

The breakfast room is rather noisy, and the vibe is very lively, not much for my liking.

Still, I recommend the hotel for it's comfort, interior, luxury toiletries, good service and good food. And most of all for it's location.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple