“Service is King in A Wonderfully Hip Gorgeous Hotel”
Review of The Soho Hotel

The Soho Hotel
Ranked #17 of 1,069 Hotels in London
USA
“Service is King in A Wonderfully Hip Gorgeous Hotel”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My whole family stayed here about a week in August. I picked this hotel for its beautiful sparkling clean luxury rooms but my expectations were surpassed with the wonderful service. This hotel is in the heart if Soho London, tucked into a side street of it own within a bustling bohemian neighborhood. You could stay here 2 weeks just to see the nearby neighborhoods honestly. We had three rooms - one junior suite, one slightly upgraded and one regular double. The junior had a king bed by US bed sizes and the other two rooms had Queen beds by US bed sizes. The rooms were stunning. I have an art background and enjoyed every aspect of the rooms and hotel common areas from an esthetics perspective.
The junior suite had an amazing tub with a TV as well as a glass shower. The room had all the amenities some might look for-mini bar included with a great liquor selection. We purchased breakfast with the room. They will bring it to your room on request. They always offered a little something extra. The food was nice.
With my father, sister, daughter and I coming and going plus a car - we required lots of attention. The front desk guys and valets were our best friends by the time we left. They were always kind courteous and helpful. We appreciated the water offered for the car rides. Really, this hotel could give lessons to the others on how to server guests. At night the bar is really hopping. This is a got spot contemporary bar scene within Soho. But none of the noise makes it up stairs to the rooms. I never heard a peep in fact of anything. The hotel is frequented by notables - I didn't realize this but learned it later after reading up. I did see a BBC personality while at breakfast and many well heeled business visitors. Makes sense. Some of the networks have offices nearby.
The night life is late in Soho so this is a great place for couples in search of adventure. Driving in London is challenging so my advice is take a taxi if you don't need a car. If you do, the hotel will help you pay the congestion tax.
We loved the Soho and want to thank the front desk and valet staff for making us feel welcome, important, and like old friends. Highly recommended. I've got to try NY Firmdale next.

Room Tip: Stay there long enough to see the area. There is a lot to do and Soho is made for cafes and languish...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Serenity2020

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

My third stay in this Hotel and it was as good as I remember it. Big bespoke luxurious rooms, perfect location, great bar and excellent food. And it's a boutique hotel It would be hard to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank MichaelJ08
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hard to add to what others have said other than to mention the crazy-comfortable bed, and the outrageously powerful shower which certainly wakes you up in the morning. My Junior Suite had a digital radio in the bathroom, others have a TV, always nice to have some entertainment in there. The minibar is a sight in itself, plus the welcome gift and calming night spray are nice touches.

What makes any great hotel even more special is the staff and The Soho Hotel have got the friendliest, funniest, down-to-earth staff I've ever met. They made the whole stay an absolute treat and the mood of the place is happy and uplifting rather than pretentious or rude which I have experienced at other fashionable hotels in London. The star-spotting is also quite fun. We will definitely be back, if we can get in!

My only quibble is that you have to hunt around for a UK plug socket which meant I ended up forgetting my charger, most of the plug sockets are a small 3-pin variety I've never seen before.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Paul A
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Never really noticed this hotel before but with a weekend in London we gave it a try. Great place to stay, we have a luxury junior suite which was a very good size and lovely big bathroom. Although the room was good it was the staff that made the stay much more enjoyable. The Dutch/American lady on reception was ever so friendly as was the gentleman showing us to our room.

We had a quick breakfast in the morning and although the service could have been quicker it was very nice.

We are now going to try the sister hotels, a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Markandnige
santa monica
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am actually shocked by the long string positive reviews of this hotel - but the lucky writers probably landed in one of the adequate rooms - which I can tell you is NOT all of the rooms - and if you can't lock in an adequate room upon making your reservation, I'd advise you to stay away. Incidentally my star rating is partly predicated on the Soho's lavish point. If it were less expensive I would have been more forgiving ... perhaps squeaking up to three stars if we were at a mid-tier Hyatt price point. But no way would I have gone beyond that, even if my room had been free with the purchase of a cup of coffee.

First, and above all, my room (like most rooms, I imagine) had an entire wall of windows... That's nice of course - however this wall abutted the grey exterior wall of another building by a distance of perhaps three feet. You couldn't see even a sliver of sky. But from the sickly gray light that filtered down and suffused the room, you could juuuust infer the presence of sky several floors above you. However depressing this sounds, you can trust me that it's far worse than you imagine.

A windowless room with some clever, warm LED lighting would have been immeasurably better. But nope - the vibe was all "cloudy day on Neptune." The effect was amplified the staggering rate I was paying. They could have made it a little better by painting the abutting wall pink or blue, or even putting a funky mural on it. But no, it had to be matte grey.

Other shortcomings - the room was large, but so sparsely furnished the space was essentially wasted. It had little tokens of style flung in (hey look - a funky dress form! We have panache!!!) rather than an actual cohesive design. The TV blinked in and out constantly, making it unwatchable. There was no kettle, tea or coffee maker in the room. They told me they would bring me free coffee if I ordered the room service breakfast (what a deal!). But I didn't want to spend a moment more in that crypt than I had to. If I had been in town for more than just a brief visit I would have changed hotels.

In general the staff were nice and the lobby was fine. I previously stayed at the Haymarket Hotel (some ownership/management group), and that was great. I was expecting a similar experience at this property, but not even close. I will never stay at this hotel again ... and if you just have to stay here, when you book you should call to find out which room you will get before you chance throwing your money away.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that does NOT face another building's interior wall, or you will wish you were...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank wrobbie
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Beautiful rooms, friendly staff and a perfect breakfast. What else you want from a hotel in the heart of Soho. I can recommend this hotel to every spoiled city traveler. Really love this place!
Visited June 2013

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Good standard rooms. Lovely hotel & good service. Location great for soho nightlife but not too close to a tube. Another unfortunate side effect of location is that I was woke by noisy neighbour in next room having a 'party for two ' at 3/4am with very Loud music & sex. Thankfully once done the second person left & peace resumed!

• Stayed April 2013