“WHOA tiny rooms!”
Review of Hotel Orlando

Hotel Orlando
Ranked #84 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Traveler be warned! The rooms here are uber tiny and it felt like my husband and I were always in the way of each other. These rooms were tiny even in comparison to other European rooms we've stayed in. The bathroom was super tiny too and only one person can be in it at a time. You can't dry off in the bathroom either (or at least I couldn't...and by no means am I a heavy/bigger person) and I had to get out of the bathroom to dry off (at least we had our own bathroom and didn't have to share! I noticed at a lot of hotels you have to share a bathroom with the floor). The rooms are very dated, but are clean; and they do service the rooms every day. The beds seemed to be newish and were comfortable enough to not bother me while asleep (although my husband and I were given a room with two twin size beds). We were on the top floor so it was quiet at night, but I think I could hear the person in the room next to us snoring. If you do get a top floor, be ready to do some serious stair climbing as there's no lift. The host if VERY friendly, and very helpful. Their breakfast is outstanding...full English and cooked to order, and it's served from 0700-0900. The hotel is in the Hammersmith area and about a 10 minute walk to the underground. From the Hammersmith station, it's about a 10-15 minute ride to Victoria station and that's where most of the tours leave from (get a Zone 1/2 Underground pass for about 5 pounds per day...this will take you everywhere you really want to go and it's faster than the buses). In the Hammersmith area there's a few nice pubs and a grocery store as well as some restaurants. As long as you are just looking for somewhere to rest your head, this place is perfect. If you want high class and quality though you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank areyouserious
There are newer reviews for Hotel Orlando

Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed with wife for 5 nights . Need to say that we were provided with the room rather quiet at back side of house as I asked on booking .
First impression on entering the room is extreme tightness . A very little space supplied with very narrow double? bed ( exellent for one person only to my opinion but not for two!!!) to the walls save that it was provided from the outset for dwarfs .We put our 2 suitcases on the floor cause there was not another place to put it and every time we made an effort to move past suitcases from lack of space . One oldish wardrobe . TV extremely high on the wall . Very tight and small bathroom with a closet in it that you hardly move in the shower cabin and while sitting on the lavatory pan. One of the silliest things is that hot and cold water taps are separate !!! We needed cup to mix from both . For me it was also very trouble making while shaving .
Excuse me but hotel which runs for more than 25 years ( as written on multiple certificates in the kitchen downstairs ) and charges 68 pounds per night having 15 rooms in it can install normal mixing taps !!!

Breakfast was all right except one only thing -every second person including my wife from my observation refused to eat their cheap and paper-made sausage which they stubbornly continued to offer every morning .

In the rest the spanish and english talking people running the hotel were very nice and the stay and service were good .

But still, Hotel Orlando, please make an extreme effort and change you taps and sausages !
More space also will be appreciated (although this task is less feasible)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReallyLongName
Reviewed July 20, 2009

It is a small hotel and the room is no frills. The furniture is outdated and the washrooms are small. As long as you know you are not signing up for a five star hotel then everything should be good. But, the staff and service is excellent. Very hearty morning breakfast and Giuseppe went out of his way to make things easy for me. Location is about 1km from the Hammersmith Tube station. There are nearby grocery stores and plenty of good restaurants in the area. Internet was fast and there were free local calls which I found to be invaluable. For the price it was an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Ben_Dover8
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed here following a business trip to London where I stayed at the Novotel London West. Since I was paying for the days after my business trip, I relocated to the Hotel Orlando, which is about a 10 minute walk from the Novotel. What I paid for 3 nights at the Hotel Orlando was slightly more than what it cost to stay one night at the Novotel. Yes, the rooms are small, but comfortable for sleeping. Yes, Shepherd's Bush road is noisy because it is a busy street but I was able to sleep just fine.

The hotel is small - it has only 15 rooms. The staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating. Breakfast was included and it was a nice traditional English breakfast cooked to order.

The hotel is only 2 bus stops away from the Hammersmith station. Hammersmith station is about a 35-40 min train ride from Heathrow - take the Piccadilly line. It was very easy to get around using the underground and buses from this location.

I was pleased with this hotel. The value - for London - was exceptional and I would definitely stay there again.

There is a very good Indian restaurant more or less across the street from the hotel, le Cinnamon. I had an excellent meal there with a large cold Cobra beer. The chef had created some coconut rice pudding and I was given a small amount to sample but I was too full to order a proper portion. The waiter was incredibly attentive and informative. I recommend the Gosht Shuka Varuval - a spicey lamb dish from South India.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Denara
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I was totally based on Tripadvisor reviews to plan, choose and book three stays in a recent trip to Europe, so, now, I fell obligated in to contributeto this wonderful community.

My trip was a budget one, so, Tripadvisor did a great job into help me to find great deals and stay away from traps.

Hotel Orlando, in London, was a good deal. It is located near Hammersmith bus and tube station at about *10 minutes* walk, in a very pleasant neighborhood.

The hotel seems to be made "over" an old ordinary house. You will feels like being in grandmas house. It feels old, but very clean. It is "warm" and "welcoming".

The hotel is very, very simple. I think that in English there is a word for it: Barebone. Your will have what you need. A bed, a small wardrobe, a small TV set and a good shower, nothing more.

My room (number 15 - 3rd. floor, no lifts) was very tiny. I think I never was in a hotel room so small like that. It haves about 12 to 15 square meters (pictures added). On the first time I saw it I was shocked: "Will we stay here for the next 8 days?". The bathroom is small too. But, even with such small space, it just
*worked* for me and my wife (I am 34, my wife, 30 years old). We used to deal with it, and I can say that from the second day on, it did just fells "normal" to us. One important thing in situations like that is to maintain your luggage and belongs organized. It helps a lot to maximize the space.

The staff is very friendly and always available. Before my trip to UK, I purchased an digital camera at Amazon UK and asked to deliver it to the hotel (emailed Mr. Orlando asking). The camera
got there 15 days before my arrival. They hold it and when I got there, they promptly provided my package, which was in very good shape.

One thing you will get from Hotel Orlando that you will not get from "branded" hotels it that feeling of being at home. Hotel Orlando is small, is old, is barebone, but the staff do everything to make you fell at home, and they do well.

The breakfast was ok. Here in Brazil is strange to eat beans on the morning, so, we stucked on scrambled eggs, which tasted very well.

Overall, if you book Hotel Orlando *having in mind that it is a budget hotel* and expecting no much more than the basics needs, you will be very pleased into stay there.

I stayed 8 days at Hotel Orlando, and would definitively stay there again. It is a great deal for the money.

TIP: The hotel does not provide safety locker. I don't think we would have any problem regarding security, but, just in case, I used an ordinary bicycle chain and "chained" my locked luggage to the bed. No way to take it away. :-)

Hope my review helps you to make a good decision, like the others helped me.
Adriano A. Araujo - adriano.aurelio@araujo.com

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdrianoAurelio
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We (family with 2 kid) stayed on the first floor facing the street. Room size and minuscule toilet were tolerable. But noise from street was not. There is a police and fire station nearby and Shepard's Bush is a main road. So all day and night the noise is deafening. Plenty of sirens 24X7!! Also, just a few mins up the street is Shepards Bush area which is quite seedy, though Hammersmith is fine. Breakfast was OK..same stuff each day. Owners are friendly...gave us a fan and electricty converter. 5 mins walk to tube. 10 mins ride to central london and 35 mins to Heathrow. Lots of restaurant and stores in this area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Atlanta11
Reviewed July 3, 2008

This hotel was clean and comfortable and very good for the price. The bathroom was small, however we didn't have a problem with that, it was serviceable and the water was hot.

Breakfast is delicious and you recieved first class service with what seemed like unlimited food. We had twin beds and still had enough space to move around. All this for a very reasonable price, I would recommend it to anyone. The only down side was that there was no one to help with the luggage (we were ladies) if you were in the rooms upstairs.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family