“Convenient, but find another”
Review of Belgrove Hotel

Belgrove Hotel
Ranked #924 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Ventura, California
“Convenient, but find another”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We asked for ground floor and were given room between 1st and ground. Inside room, so it WAS quiet. Had a double & single bed, so we 2 used both. It used to be a room w/o bath and they put the toilet in a teeny closet, and the shower in the teeny closet in the entry "hall." Toilet door had no latch and we couldn't use the toilet w/o the door popping open. Previous reviewers covered my same comments. Breakfast was adequate, but had to wait in line to sit down. Stairs are very tight and terrible. Desk staff was friendly to us. Kitchen staff had a hard time keeping up; waitress was hard-working, but cook surly.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor, inside.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoGinnyGo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Honestly the only reason why we booked this hotel is for its locality and the price it offers for this location. BUT. I think for this price, I would rather walk a bit further and stay elsewhere..

1. They messed up our booking.
2. Dodgy, old, tiny and dirty looking hotel.
3. We had to ask 3x for the radiator to be turned on; and even so, its pretty much useless. Room still freezing cold cuz of the weather.
4. Sound proofing is horrible, worse if u staying low levels. U can hear footsteps of those living upstairs.
5. No lift, expect to carry ur luggages up and down stairs.
6. Toilet is terribly minimal. Dont even expect hooks to hang your linen or racks for toiletries. Its just a toilet bowl (there isnt even a toilet roll holder!), tiny sink and shower.
7. Hot water flask still contains water from previous user. Cups and utensils, I wonder if they were even washed.
8. Bed linen looks horribly old and stained.
9. No smoking in hotel, but hotel staff smoke right outside the hotel makes little difference.
10. Go elsewhere. For this price, u deserve better.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

stayed here for one night as it was nice and close to Eurostar. The room is very basic, no lampshade, the shower/toilet cubicle are very small. the headboard was loose and every time you turned over it would bang against the wall. if you have any mobility problems defiantly do not use this hotel the stairs are steep and dodgy looking. Breakfast was ok and that's being kind.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 13, 2014

As many people said before me: The location of the hotel is about the only good thing. Read on, if you would like to know more details!

Check-in time 1pm? Yes, in theory. In reality, not so much:
As my flight arrived quite early, I went to the hotel to drop off my luggage. At that stage I was already treated like someone unwelcome. Okay, I thought, things can become better later on. A few hours later, I went back to the hotel to get my camera, again they made me feel like an intruder. At 2pm - one hour after check-in officially begins - I arrived to check-in. By that time, I still had not heard a friendly greeting. The first question was "How do you want to pay?"... and my room was not even ready yet.

Dodgy stairs, no help, mocking staff:
After I had painstakingly managed to get my big suitcase (25kgs as I am in the process of moving to the UK) up THREE floors on a very dodgy stair up, there was still a cleaner in my room. The hallway looked like a construction site, with utensils all over it. I still tried to be optimistic. The cleaner took her time to finish and I stood on the sad looking hallway. When I finally could get into my room (small but not too small, little cupboards in bad repairs, with handles missing, others partially broken off, TV remote looked like it had a few operations behind it etc.), I heard the two cleaners and later on a male joking outside, laughing about me.

The room and bathroom/toilet:
The room was okay as mentioned before. Not very good quality, but okay for the price. The shower room was a disgrace though. I had to think about Stephen King's IT all the time, thinking that this might be the kind of place the clown might be hiding.... Also: the shower only knows two settings: Hot as hell or cold as the North Pole. Also not much space to hang up clothing or towels, very inconvenient.
The toilet was not super good looking, tiles on the wall were missing, certain signs speak of a lack of proper cleaning, but okay, it's not like you spend much time in there.

Breakfast:
Very, very basic in a room that makes a school canteen look inviting. The coffee was okay, the juice tasted like cheap, stale cordial watered down a lot. The few pieces of toast that were there were cold and rubber like (and it was only 7.10am, 10 minutes after start). Bacon was very overcooked (there is a difference between nice, crispy bacon and dry, burnt bacon), everything else was cold. The two workers were not very friendly and made me feel like I was only an interruption to their gossip session. Other guests also looked uncomfortable.

General staff friendliness:
I am not sure whether staff would be friendlier if they were proper English people - because a lack of friendliness is what annoyed me most about this hotel (most hostels and YHAs have friendlier and more helpful staff - so it's not about the price you pay). It was my first night in England ever and I had heard so much about English hospitality. This is not the place for it. Here only your money is welcome. You as a guest are just an annoyance. Among all the staff only one has been nice - and that was when I checked-out. Maybe they are just happy to see people go?

They do not great you in a friendly way. They show absolutely no interest in anything but your wallet. I know it's a budget hotel but I've stayed in cheaper places and still received better service. If you can't be friendly to people and can't follow some basic hospitality guidelines, then you shouldn't work in hospitality! And I know my fair share because I DID work in various hospitality jobs.

This place is only good for people with very little luggage (as there are MANY stairs, and no lift), and who only spend the night there. I would not go there again. I'd rather pay a bit more - a friendly attitude makes such a big difference.

Room Tip: Lower rooms will be exposed to smoke smells - and maybe other smells that are not so nice - as staff...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Kim A
Singapore
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just cross the road and round the corner. Good location. Small room with reasonable toilet/shower area (if you are moderate in body size). Heater is not really enough despite turn to the highest. Luckily London is not that cold on that night. Don't expect too much with £49 for a night esp in London area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank carbopro
Hove, Belgium
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I booked this hotel for my daughter and her friend who were visiting London. Sinc sit is very close to the EUROSTAR St. Pacreas Terminal I hoped it would be a good deal. The rooml was relatively cheap (for London standards) but it was a bad choice.
There were literally holes in the walls of the very small room. Someone left dirty socks on the floor. The breakfast was not OK. The staff knowledge of the English language was low.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erik2540
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was pretty optimistic when booking the hotel after finding a room for 2, for £59 per night! Incredible value for the location. The purpose of my visit was a one night stay for me and a friend as we were going to a gig in London. We didn't expect the ritz, but all we wanted was clean bedding, a secure room and a 24 hour reception. And that is what we got. I wouldn't recommend staying if your trip of anything more than a weekend away as it isn't great if you are alending lots of time in the room. But if you are out exploring London, shopping and hitting the bars on oxford street, or just looking for a place to put your head down this is perfect. We actually ended up staying an extra night as we missed our train and the staff were very understanding and helpful. Although not being able to go back to the room we were in previously, we were more than happy to stay another night. I feel people are being too picky about the size of the rooms, yes they were small and it was hard for 2 of us to move around the (undersized "double") bed, but what do you expect when you pay so little! I will more than likely return later this year when I revisit London for a couple of nights between shopping and trying out the bars.

• Stayed February 2014