“RUDEST hotel staff and old run down rooms.”
Review of Abbey Hotel

Abbey Hotel
Ranked #825 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I advise you never stay here EVER. This was literally one of the worst hotels I have ever been too, first off the women who greeted us at the desk was very sarcastic and unprofessional. Me and my friend were planning to stay there for 2 nights, so we paid as we arrived, but already I didn't feel very comfortable or welcome, which everyone should feel! I was very worried about paying for the nights because I had a strange feeling!
So, we got up to our room, and the women at the desk said that our 2 friends could come up to the room and put their bags in because they had nowhere for their bags. She said that was fine but didn't want us all up there longer than 10 minutes, which is fair enough, we had only just got up to the room because it was up 4 flights of stairs anyway! and we had lots of heavy suitcases!.. as soon as we unlocked the door we checked the lights would work because it was such a dull, old looking room. We weren't happy with it but we just decided to get on with it, we hadn't even sat down and the phone was ringing every second to tell us to come down, it hadn't even been 2 minutes, so we told her we w3ere just putting our bags away and we would be 5 minutes, but she just kept ringing every second and made me feel more and more unwelcome. I got downstairs and was not so very welcomed by the manager, who straight away had a RUDE sarcastic smile on his face, he instantly said to us, give me the front door key, which we were given so we could let ourselves into the building. I questioned this and was confused how we were supposed to get in after the gig. He told us we would have to be in by ten o clock to get in.. Which was impossible as the gig finished at half 10!
I was furious, so I said well that's impossible so can I have a refund. He said yes, so we went to pack everything away and then he went back down to collect my refund, he told me that I had to pay for one nights stay when we hadn't even been in the room for ten minutes!!!!
I was very angry and questioned why we weren't getting a full refund, and he said that is was because the shower had been used. When yes we turned the shower on to check if it worked because the room looked that old and run down that it wouldn't work! I wiped my wet hand on a towel after checking the shower and that was it, so basically I got charged 75 pound for one nights stay WHEN I HAD TURNED A TAP ON. We even called the police but they said the matter was out of their hands, but they completely agreed with us and said the whole thing is ridiculous!

I have so many more negative things to say about this place, but I am getting furious writing this. Please no one every stay here, it is a disgusting unwelcoming place that needs to be shut down. (Dramatic it sounds, but if you were with us you would completely agree) Basically taking advantage of teenage girls.
DISGUSTING PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE EVER!!!!!!

Room Tip: no rooms in the hotel, don't stay here
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Maisie G

Reviewed March 21, 2014

i dont even know where to begin. my friend and i were planning on staying here for two nights. we arrived to a very rude woman at the desk. we checked in whilst two of our friends waited for us in the lobby area. we went to our room up four flights of stairs and found a very outdated and run down room. we checked the lights and shower and thankfully it was all working. we decided it would be ok to sleep in as that would be all we were really doing in it.
the woman on reception then rang us around 15 times on the phone telling us to go downstairs.
we said we would be down in a moment after sorting our bags out.
we then met the manager who stood at the desk with a smirk on his face and a terrible attitude saying we needed to give him the key for the front door. we asked how we would be able to get back in. he said we would need to return at 10.30 to ensure access.
i am 25 years old and i do not expect to be given a curfew.
we then asked for a refund. the manager then proceeded to tell us since we had sat in the room and turned the shower on he would charge us for one night.
we tried to explain that we had turned the shower on to check it was all working. he then started to rant about us taking NINE of our friends up to the bedroom. NINE! it was a squeeze for the two of us never mind nine of us. i have no idea where he made this up from.
he started to get aggressive and started shouting at us. he told us if we wanted a full refund to ring the police. which i then did. they said it was ridiculous and the woman even spoke to the manager on the phone and told him to give us a refund. he refused. but the police could not do anything since it was a cival dispute.
i then contacted booking who i booked this hotel through and they said there was nothing they could do.
we ended up very upset and left £75 out of pocket.
upon arriving home i then recieved and email saying i had to pay a £150 cancellation fee because i didnt stay there.
it was honestly one of the worst experiences in hospitality and customer service i could have ever imagined.
the manager was rude and aggressive, he lied and was just plain money hungry. i would never ever ever return to this hotel.
i would rather sleep on the street!
please for the love of god do not stay here!

Room Tip: sleep on the pavement outside. probably more friendly and comfortable
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank laurenxc
Reviewed March 7, 2014

the staff in the hotel was so rude and spoke to me and my friends like something you would see on the floor. they told us we had to be back at 10pm or we would be locked out and not allowed back in, this was a major issue as we was going to a gig that was due to finish at 10:30. As the staff was so rude we asked for a refund but the man who worked their started saying we had been in the shower so can not get a refund, we had been there 10 minutes so there was no time for the shower. The man was not even in when we checked in and the woman would not say anything as she knew we was correct. I dont know how people can say it is a nice friendly place to stay never met anyone as rude in my life

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank georgiabrooks
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I started to stay in this Hotel infrequently maybe more than 20 years ago. A time when it was basic but friendly. In the years ahead I've seen the same family run & improve it. I'm nobody special but the Hotel makes you feel different when you take the little time to chat with any of the staff and allow them to open to you. I've too witnessed Mr/Mrs unreasonable complain when a skip was outside taking away builders waste. Sure there must be times when its not perfect.

My recent stay was in the new extension room 3 and it was glorious, perfect ventilation access and all the mod cons up there with the best, The shower is great, modern and a lovely solid style that works.

So along with the improvements of the Hotel there is the improvement of the whole area across the road with the new Westfield shopping center. Yes, 50 meters or less. Here is every shop you could need to visit under one roof. It has the top end Louis Vuitton bags, Tiffany Jewelry, Jaegar shops, kids toy shops, M&S, along with an outside arcade of restaurants from around the Globe. Having been to Shepherds Bush so many times I have found my own goldmines. There is "The Patio Restaurant" on the Green about 250 meters walk and if you come from the hotel heading for the tube station Shepherds Bush Market then as you turn right you will see a quite large Turkish food business doing everything from English breakfast to healthy eating baguettes. Orange juice is straight from the fruit squashed out as you wait. The shop compliments the Hotel stay with friendliness to about.

This Hotel is unexpectedly friendly for London and if you are anyway friendly yourself then you probably wont stay anywhere else again in the big city. Why does it get hugely positive replies and then the odd one where somebody describes it as hell on Earth, thats humans for you. It strikes me that those keen to complain will make the effort but those who have a happy stay dont tend to review and yes its the same for all hotels. Perfectionists I'm one a bit , I like it right but Im also the owner of a business and bad comments are fine but there is a time and place - imagine people could comment on each others character "Oh dear I dread to think" .

At the time of posting 44% of the reviews were positive and the Abbey Hotel was ranked #739 of 1,074 hotels in London. Watch this change is my tip .

Room Tip: The new extension from what I see has the best rooms. There are simply no worries. It may be you ne...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Myself and my friend ended up staying at this hotel Saturday the 22nd after we had problems with a hostel we were ment to be staying in after we flew from Ireland. It was the last room in the hotel and even though it took us about an hour and a half to get to the hotel they kept the room for us and guaranteed us that the room was ours and wouldn't give it away because they knew what we had gone through! They couldn't of been nicer or more helpful to us!when we finally arrived It was the perfect location right across the road from the Westfield shopping centre!the staff were soo so nice to us and helpful to us and made sure our room was ok,which it was it was a perfect room so clean with our own bathroom! I would 100% recommend this hotel for its location,price and friendly staff and their willingness to help. Will definitely be staying here again.lovely couple who own the hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Zara M
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I recently attended an expo at the Olympia. We had left accomodation until the last minute and found all of the regular hotels booked out. We normally stay in Holiday Inns or other 4 star equivalents. When I found out we were staying in this place I really did fear the worst. Especially with how cheap the rooms were for this part of London.

On arrival I was thoroughly shocked. The hotel has just finished a thorough internal renovation. It has quite a Mediterranean feel about it. The rooms were spacious with a big TV. Immaculatley clean. The owners were very friendly and very hospitable.

On top of the quality of the hotel it is also very close to The Olympia. One stop on the london Overground (1 Min). Its beside a large shopping mall with many resteraunts. Loads of pubs nearby. An excellent place to stay for anyone attending the Olympia. For the next event I intend to book out the entire hotel. Incredible value for money. This is the first review I have ever written and I doubt I will do another but this hotel deserves it.

The only think missing was a bar and resteraunt in the hotel. They have just built one and it opens next week. We had a look and it is quite smart.

Room Tip: They all appear to be the same but room 2 is a very good one.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Patrick R
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed in a triple room,very clean with modern bathroom (shower). Hot water runs well at any time. The heating in the room is regulable and enough. We had a kettle, tea bags, coffee, sugar, milk and biscuits put every day. There are 2 underground stations and a railway station at 3-5 minutes walk, but our room was very quiet like in the country. The location is perfect, the bus 94 goes to Piccadilly Circus. The stuff is very friendly. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends