“Disappointing”
Review of Pembury Hotel

Pembury Hotel
Ranked #888 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Business stay for one night. Facade ok and bar area and reception looked ok. Twin room clean and appeared reasonably new.
However … ensuite absolutely ridiculous, literally no room to move, mini sink positioned under a shelf unit making it almost unusable. Shower poor pressure and took 5 minutes to warm up.
Unable to comment on the breakfast which to me was a huge negative as only started serving at 8.30 which means for the business traveller especially you are doomed to start your London day in the rush hour. Reception offered no flexibility in trying to offer a slightly earlier continental option and did not reduce the cost for room only. I found the abrupt and inflexible nature a disappointment. Overall met our very basic requirements but have stayed in much better and for less. Would not stay again :-(

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DaveyGriff

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights, clean and tidy room,It did the job.Untill returning to hotel one evening there was a lot of shouting and swearing coming from behind reception. I pointed out to the person doing this my son (7) was with me.He said sorry,then carried on, upsetting my son with his loud and abusive language. I told him it was not acceptable, in return he said I could leave and not use hotel again using foul language. Instead of waiting for the lift we used the stairs. Rest of staff good.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here for a night in December in between digs. It was pretty cheap - less than £40 - and overall a good deal, booked through Expedia.

It was clean and in a good location for transport and local eateries but noise is a big issue here, because of the wooden flooring that many reviewers have mentioned. I'm grateful, however, that my room wasn't facing the Seven Sisters Road, one of the busiest roads in the city. Customer service was good on checking in and out and I have to say terrific when I had a complaint about two selfish prats on my floor who were watching TV at night in their room with their door open (!). Went down to reception to complain, was back in my room a minute later and just as I sat down on my bed I heard the security guy telling these people to be quiet - that shut them up for the night. I was impressed.

I'm stunned people have paid over £100 to stay here - why would you?!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank globalcitizen_1985
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The location of this hotel is undeniably good - just a short walk from the Finsbury Park tube station. Secure parking at the rear was a bonus but the actual parking area was very tight and I did have concerns about accidental damage to the car.

The room, booked for myself and two teenagers, was small - just about containing a double bed, bunk beds, wardrobe and dressing table. However the bathroom really took the biscuit - it was minuscule. The power shower which was great with a good water pressure, ended up soaking the floor as the drainage couldn't keep up with the amount of water. A tiny sink made a simple face wash an uncomfortable experience and brushing your teeth involved awkward shapes!

Breakfast was continental and quite limited, though adequate.

In all, an average stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel was a great disappointment. For the £230.00 I paid, the room was not just minimalist but sparce in a prison cell sort of way with little facilities and not particularly comfortable...had the bare minimum....Although the booking included breakfast I would have rather gone to Mcdonalds...nothing cooked here, breakfast consisted of bread, jam some musili or cornflakes...on this occasion the bread was mouldy and when staff were notified they merely removed the specific bread from the basket rather than replacing the whole basket...really gross.

Perfect location if your just looking to crash for a Finsbury concert but not worth half what I paid, £60.00 would have been more fitting....

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed here the night the arctic monkeys played at Finsbury park. This was the reason we booked this place as the hotel is literally a 2 minute walk from the entrance to the park. For this reason I'm giving it one star!
However, we paid £239 for one night at this hotel, which in my opinion is day light robbery. For your money you get a tiny room, the tiniest bathroom ever - it was tricky to even get your hands in the teensy weensy sink as you couldnt help but knock them on the shelf above, and it was practically impossible to wash your face. Nasty soap and shampoo/body wash.
In the room there are no lamps (just a harsh main light) and no phone to call reception. It is minimalist in the extreme. There is no drinking water in the room, we were advised to use boiled water using the kettle or to buy a bottle from the hotel, price £1.50.
There were coffee, tea and milk sachets in the room, along with the kettle.
The room was clean enough.
Breakfast consisted of toast, jam and butter, muesli or cornflakes, slices of cheese and ham, coffee, tea, orange juice - that was it.
All of this would be absolutely fine if you are paying around the £100-£120 (London prices) however, for £239 this is daylight robbery.
We stayed here only for the location and in that respect it served its purpose. But we would not stay here again, we'd rather have a walk - or expensive taxi ride and it would still probably cost less - to a nicer hotel.
If you're not attending an event at Finsbury Park my advice is that unless you can get the room for less than half of what we paid, steer clear.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Well positioned hotel, short distance from tube, overlooking Finsbury Park.
Clean and comfortable, good value. Breakfast on patio very nice. Coffee very nice!. Bedroom small but adequate. Bathroom also small but clean. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces