“It's no that bad!!”

Ranked #946 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Mullingar
“It's no that bad!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights during the Olympics...aug 8th to 11th. Having read the reviews in advance I was somewhat nervous as to what to expect! Honestly I was pleasently surprised.
It's not the Ritz but there again you are not paying for the Ritz!
Great location for access to Olympic park...bus stop right outside...handy to tube station so easy access to city centre.
Clean room...nice sheets...2 comfortable single beds in my room...slept like a log. Reasonable bathroom...hot and cold water...nice little comfortable bath and shower above it. Couldnt fault it. Tv in room...Kettle...tea and coffee. If I was to fault anything it would be the carpet. Being n asthmatic I hate carpets...but I didnt react to it so they obviously hoovered it well.
The breakfast was ok....cereal, & full English breafast. No fruit or yoghurt though.
The staff were SUPERB! I was treated like a queen by them. I will specifically mention Ali, Kunal & Lawford. Overall it was a lovely experience. Would I stay there again...YES. Value for money...good location..great staff! Yes they could improve the place but it's nothing like previous reviews state. You get what you pay for. Thank you to all the staff of the Newham for a great stay! Donna (Ireland)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I’ve been to a lot of budget hotels even in Europe but this place takes the p#@*. Having managed to get our hands on tickets last minute for the Olympics we booked this hotel thinking the reviews can’t be that bad! After an 8hr drive we arrived in the GETO! Small dingy unsavoury room (28), concrete slabs for pillows, which took over an hour to get an extra one after asking at the desk twice disturbing the texting receptionist! The room may as well have not had any windows as the noise from the main road was so loud so we resorted to stuffing our ears with toilet roll (the bathroom is another issue –bad drainage poor excuse for a shower). Spoke to reception in the morning to request moving room who was rude, unhelpful and we were treated like an inconvenience. Even though I did specify on my booking a room at the back based on the reviews! Our stay should have been for 2 nights, needless to say we left that morning without breakfast! Found a gem a place in the same area but off the main road. We stayed at the Grove Guesthouse, Hazel welcomed us with open arms and made us feel like part of the family. I would highly recommend and we are definitely going back you can contact her on goldmanhazel@hotmail.com. Not a pleasant stay at the Newham, daylight robbery they should be wearing a mask, in fact they should pay you to stay there. This is hostel territory, in fact I’ve been in better. Go at your own risk you have been warned ………. PS we tried to get a refund through laterooms but we were advised the apparently tried to resolve the situation which is utter crap. Don't waste your money here!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Use to love this place many years ago but now the rooms are dirty, breakfast is terrible, its lost that care & attention, the noise during the night noone cares anymore and this is all im gonna say on this place or would be here for hours.....

Room Tip: TIP - Not a place to be recommended
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The other reviews do not exaggerate. When I got there a man was arguing loudly with the man in the lobby. He was trying to leave before his reservation ended, and get some of his money back. I should have taken this as a cue to leave. The location is lousy, my room had a stench that was a mixture of bugs and smoke (even though it was a non-smoking room). The communal shower's drain was clogged so, despite only a trickle of water making its way out of the shower head, I was in standing water within a minute. It was easily the worst hotel in which I have stayed.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank durban33
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We booked this hotel online at short notice and did not read any of the reviews - BIG MISTAKE! We were given a room close to reception at the front of the hotel (room number 4) and the room seemed ok but did have a strange smell, especially the bed linen. The tag line for this hotel is ‘a good night’s sleep’ but it definitely is not! People were walking past our room all night talking loudly and at 5am there was loud singing/chanting/laughter. We finally got some sleep around 7am and woke up around 8.30am. I tried to have a shower but there was no hot water so we decided to pack our case and load up the car before heading across the hall for breakfast only to find that the breakfast room was locked. We asked at reception and were told that breakfast is only served until 9am. This was a 9.05am and both my husband and I are sure that reception had told us breakfast was served until 10am. We had paid for breakfast and I explained that we had not had any sleep because of the noise but they would not even give us any toast! We will definitely not be staying here again and would urge others to think twice before booking here, the price may seem good value but you will regret it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sam B
Richmond
Reviewed May 28, 2012

On the plus side this budget hotel has a large car park and is easy to find. Check in was easy too. The bed in my room was comfortable and the room was clean.
On the minus side I certainly didn't experience "a good nights sleep" which is the Tag line at the top of every page on the hotels own web site. There was commotion all night long. Even though I complained to reception at midnight and the people in the room above then turned the music off there was still laughing, loud voices, doors banging etc right through until 7am in the morning. Not good!
The TV didn't work properly and I had to get reception over to fix it. Even then it only gave me a couple of channels then went off altogether.
The Wifi / internet wasn't working either.
I only had one towel in my room and no mat or towel to stand on to keep the bathroom floor dry. The ensuite was unfinished. The tiling round the shower and toilet hadn't been completed. Also the wash baisin was only suitable for hand rinsing. You couldn't wash your face in it as it's too small.
There was no bed side light which is inconvenient for people who like to read in bed etc.
They describe "Stylish en–suite bedrooms" I'd say BASIC was a more realistic description.
The hotel web site says "Newham Hotel takes care to look after the little things as well as the bigger things to create a pleasurable environment ideal for the discerning guest, whether here for business or pleasure." I disagree with this statement.
In fairness this is only a 2* hotel as a previous reviewer points out. However any guest should expect to find the service equal to that described by the hotel itself hence the title of this review "Could do better!"

Room Tip: Not for the discerning guest!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ronwooduk
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I dont know what people want from 2* hotel..??? I stayed for 3night. My room was clean,was tea,coffe,kettle, everything was what need for room. Shower was clean and worked normal. Oll staff was frendly and polite. Breakfast was normal,english. Just missed some fruits,but ok.

• Stayed April 2012