“Authentically polish”

Cuisines: Polish
london
“Authentically polish”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was intrigued by this cafe, serving Polish food in an area where the curry house and the hallal chicken cottage still reign supreme. It was a rainy tuesday evening and I didn't fancy cooking, so I crossed the threshold, reassured by the homely, clean look of the place. The only other customers were two Polish young men, also dining solo. I was quickly brought a menu and chose the Russian dumplings (Polish dumplings were off, ironically ). Soon enough a large plate of tasty dumplings appeared, topped off with caramelised onions and plenty of dill. Very nice.
I've given this a generous 4 stars (very good), but maybe 3.5 stars and a "good" rating would be more accurate. I'd take points away for the fact that at 8 o clock the Polish dumplings were already off, and of the 2 toilets, one was out of order, the other one mysteriously locked and occupied the whole time I was there. But that is also authentically Eastern European, after all.
The plus points: the quirky decor with vintage Polish posters, and the fact that someone is obviously cooking tasty food from scratch, not just chucking stuff into the deep fat fryer, or reheating cook chill, catalogue ordered meals. There is a good selection of Polish classics such as stuffed cabbage, bigos, stewed pork in various forms, and salads. The prices are reasonable, I don't think any main course reached the £10 mark. If like me you are a fan of Eastern European food, and want something that's tasty and freshly cooked, this is well worth checking out.

• Visited August 2013