“Look at the majority of reviews - terrible!”
Review of The Cuckfield

The Cuckfield
Ranked #12,311 of 24,109 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cuckfield is a converted 19th century coaching inn, with artwork and original features built around a huge roaring fire. With a huge range of craft beers and real cask ales, there's something for everyone. Pop in and find out more about our great food & drinks offers, and discover for yourself a local gem.
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I've lived in Wanstead for 6 years and try the food probably once a year to see if they can finally improve what comes out of the kitchen, disappointingly,they fail each time! Last night the food wasnt the usual below average, they have reached new lows, it was awful!
On a positive point, the usually aloof, blind, rude staff were pretty good and they had more than one staff member on at peak time which is a big step forward. And, they were nice so well done the managers, it's small steps I know and good service and food can't be rushed so let's hope they can sort the food out in the next 6 years, I'll be giving it a wide berth till then.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I used to live in South Woodford and the Cuckfield was always my favourite place for lunch (as well as enjoying plenty of evenings there too!). Since moving away a year ago I haven't been back but was looking for somewhere with a vibe for lunch with a friend I haven't seen in a while and thought of the Cuckfield. I looked at the reviews on tripadvisor and was quite alarmed to read the reviews but decided to still give it a go. I am so happy that I did. We had such a lovely afternoon in the Cuckfield, the staff were lovely - bar staff and waitresses all friendly with a quirky sense of humour - exactly what I have experienced in the past at the Cuckfield. Food was delicious and there was a great vibe. Already planning my next visit.

1  Thank loveongar
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

So I have been coming to this pub on and off for 7 years. Sometimes it's great, most of the time it's OK.

On sunday I came with 2 girlfriends for a roast lunch.

First off it's like a crèche in there now, screaming kids everywhere and loads of babies in buggies pushed by stressed out looking women. Fair enough.

The food when it came was so gross. I ordered the roast beef. It was impossible to eat it was so over cooked and tough. The gravy was straight out of a packet.
The potatoes were burnt, the vegetables clearly frozen ones reheated. Literally disgusting.

The service from the bar consisted of a rude bar maid who barely spoke English, rolled her eyes at our request to split the bill 3 ways (normal no?) and then decided that we would all pay different amounts rather than just split the total. Bizarre.

The beer garden at the back looked so sad - full of half dead plants and over flowing ashtrays.

What's happened to this place it used to be so good?!

I hope they get a new chef and a new manager in sharpish.

3  Thank katymoseley
Reviewed April 8, 2014

There really are next to no good points. The pub which was once a really well managed nice local venue years ago, now only survives because there is not a lot of choice and it's in a good location in the High Street.

The whole place needs a refurb and re design, the bar area is far to small, you have to queue for ages to get served whatever time you go. It is a real issue, a joke that every local moans about.

The staff turn over is regular, but the standard never changes. Rude arrogant and lazy.

The bar area is soaking at all time and is filthy, as are the tables, chairs, walls and floors the whole place is disgusting,

Food takes an age and is very poor, numerous items never available from the menu.

I have made my last visit until it changes, the management need sacking if there are any, which I doubt. It needs an environmental health visit for sure, it's a vile experience..

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had the worst experience on Saturday. Went for a quick bite to eat with my hubby, 2 sons and their girlfriends. My son and his girlfriend went to the bar to order food. They were refused as she looks young (over 18) and had no ID. No probs my son then tried to order and was refused. I then went up to order, again food only, no alcohol as we had been out all day & were tired. I was refused as we were in the same party. I am over 21 by a country mile, stated that and tried to order again. Refused. We go to the Cuckfield regularly and the service and the food is not as it once was and not cheap. Hot drinks not available, food sold out, so surely the shouldn't refuse custom. Very officious young woman behind the bar, not sure if she had ID. Will not be returning anytime soon. Not a happy bunny!

3  Thank Michelle H