“keep an hour free for this”

The Emirates Aviation Experience
Ranked #62 of 353 Fun & Games in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Pilot an A380 or B777 in a state of the art flight simulator. The Emirates Aviation Experience has 4 simulators on which you can test your take off and landing skills. A great value for money experience for advanced flyers and novices alike. Downstairs from the simulator zone is a unique interactive experience that takes you behind the scenes of modern commercial aviation. Learn about the science of flight and what happens to your body at 30,000 feet. Turn around an A380 quick enough to earn your gold wings or watch what happens to your luggage after check-in. All of this and much more is available at the Emirates Aviation Experience. Alternatively you could simply relax in our river facing cafe or browse in our shop. A great family attraction and right next door to the Emirates AirLine which allows you to cross the river Thames in a cable car.
Essex, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“keep an hour free for this”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

especially combine with the airline trip across the Thames - adult cost just £3 for each (children cheaper) - what a fun afternoon day out of combine with other London stuff for a long day

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Cliff E

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
East Midlands UK
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A must for aviation enthusiasts!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I happened to discover this quite by accident as I was in the vicinity of the O2 Arena. For a start, £3 is an excellent price for admission, bearing in mind this is London.
Once inside there's the incredible floor to ceiling time lapse display of an A380, at DXB, arriving and then departing. It provides some stats relating to the turnaround time and other facts about the aircraft
Further inside you can experience the journey of a suitcase from check - in right the way through to the baggage carousel.
There's also the bonus of having your photo taken on the flight deck of an A380 mock - up and it can be sent either as an e-mail or shared on social media.
There are other attractions too, but to use the flight simulator is extra. It's free, however, to sit at the controls.
Finally, there's the coffee shop with indoor & outdoor seating.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Cordelia9
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We arrived planning to go on the cable car, and went to this in addition. It was small and although well staffed there was basically very little inside. It cost us £3 each which we could not buy from the main ticket office (only combined return cable car/experience tickets were available from one box office) - as we wanted one way/ experience we has to go elsewhere, to a little shed round the corner.

The exhibition was not worth the (admitially cheap £3), there was a few films running on a loop, and a pretend flight deck that you can visit (although the staff will shove you out quickly, so they can take a photo is someone in the seat and they don't want others in the background of the picture).

There is a cafe (note you can use the cafe without paying for the main exhibition) which was quite nice, selling drinks, cakes and sandwiches. The toilet door was broken (amusing discussion with staff who insist it was not broken, but if most people who use the toilet can't manage to close the door, as it was stuck against the floor - then I count that as broken). Whilst we were there, 4 people were walked in on whilst on the toilet ! Lovely !

3 Thank Reuben M
Burnley, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Short and not so sweet.”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I am not sure what I was expecting, but just booked it as part of the cable car ticket on first trip as something I thought our grandchildren might enjoy. Staff were helpful, but as there were only one or two people visiting it seemed a shame that we had to wear wristbands which then could not be removed without scissors. You can stand and watch what happens to you luggage at the airport in film cabin, then sit in airport seat and listen to info about flying, not exciting to our 10, 8, and 4 year old granddaughters. If you wanted to go into the flight simulator you had to purchase another ticket, we didn't bother, the whole thing only took about 15 min. Cable car much more fun..

3 Thank Ann P
London, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“My Anti-Climax of The Year”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Not a good month for the aviation industry I'll grant you. With lost and shot down airliners still on my mind it was probably in not the best of moods that I accompanied a friend visiting London here. He is a plane nut - so this was his thing. Bound to say though that - like others there that day - his fanaticism meant he would probably have been thrilled by the simple wooden stick, propeller and elastic band model...so long as it could fly.

I looked for more general pleasures and must say I found few. Even taking refuge in the coffee/souvenir shop was a disaster. Obviously the management know more about aviation than catering (at least I prey they do !) for this was my worst cafe experience for many years.

After waiting at the checkout for the man in front of me to declare his overcharge and then watch authorised people fetched to sanction his £1.10 reimbursement, I was then overcharged myself by £2. Two out of two. 'Bad luck' more kindly folk might say. Me? Nah. This was incompetence and shabby service - by both staff and management. And my cappuccino was dreadful.

So if you must try the flight simulator, do your stomach and your budget a favour - avoid the cafe.

3 Thank Robert A J J