“Food Average, Overpriced. Poor Waiting Staff. Not Authentic”
Review of Saffron Kitchen

Saffron Kitchen
Ranked #3,637 of 24,997 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2015

I was really lookng forward to Saffron after reading all of the reviews.

I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed. I'll start by sharing what we ordered and then telling you about the pro's and cons:

Family of 4, Asian 35, 31, 11 and 9. We regularly eat out at restaurants of many different cuisines.

Drink: Chill Mojito

The waiter did say this was hit or miss and it was definitely a miss. It was some sort of carton juice with mint leaves and chilli flakes. The mint had not been pressed or squeezed. There was not effort put into this drink. It was too chilli to drink. We had to order other drnks and we are used to spice.

Starter 1: Mixed Grill

Lamb chops were divine, Soft, juicy and full of flavour. These were a hit.
Kebabs - Plain, tasted like the shezan frozen kebabs you get. Did not taste like they were made in the restaurant. Miss
Chicken tikka cubes - Nothing special. Slightly overcooked but not too dry. Average
Chicken Tikka on the bone - Tasted ok by home standards. Nothing great
Chicken Tikka Green (think malai) - plain and boring

Starter 2 - Pani Puri
These were the pani puri you get from the shops. Slightly hard shelled and not fresh. They were tasty but lacked an authentic taste or any spiciness. If you're not familiar with these, they are always nice and dont need to be an expert.

Starter 3 - Butter Chicken and Onion Kulcha
Kulcha was nice and its not often you see a restaurant selling these, so Im not sure if i liked thses because of the novelty or because of the taste. This was a hit.
Butter chicken - Lacked any authentic taste. Chicken had not of the flavour.Felt as if the chicken was chucked in after heating up the butter chicken sauce. A real disappointment. Tasted liked the ready made sauces (uncle ben etc)

Main 1 - Lamb Shank

Lamb shank is hard to do wrong - I thought
The meat was soft and juicy. Why they decided to put korma sauce all over it was a shock. Rice was ok. This was the worst lamb shank I have ever tasted. It was edible

Main 2 - Chicken Noodles

This was tasty but its rare to find poorly cooked noodles. A small portion of chicken on top of some tasty vegetable noodles. This was a hit but at £12 thought it was overpriced

Main 3 - Lamb steaks

What a mess. A small cramped plate with lamp steaks (bones and lots of) served mixed with vegetables and potatoes. Presentation was a mess. It was a struggle to eat and because it was all mixed together it was hard to cut off the bone. They really need to sort out the presentation. It was tasty but a real mess

Main 4 - Prawn Tower

Presentation was good, prawns were nice and so was coconut rice, The orange sauce which tasted very similar to the butter chicken was slightly sickening (This could have been because of the butter chicken earlier) - I thought this was not a bad dish. I liked the presentation.

Desert

Ferero Rocher Ice cream was nice
Honeycomb ice cream was nice
Mango ice cream was nice

The positives: Parking in the rear so easy for families, Drinks came quickly so did food. Lamb chops,

Negatives: Staff made me pack my own food for takeaway which I was very annoyed about. Waiters not very polite. No goodbye, how was your food etc.

Summary: A good place if you are not so used to real asian food. Perhaps I should have tried some of the traditional curry dishes to say this but butter chicken is normally a good test - as you would a pad thai in a thai restaurant.

If the restaurant was 60 - 70% of the price it would be acceptable. Its not a prime location and the decor is nothing great, nor is the ambience (unless you get one of the private rooms)

I wasnt impressed and I wouldnt go back. Some customer service could have made a big difference on the day ....and it wasnt that busy. It was a sunday.

Thanks for reading.

2  Thank shazzy_shah

Reviewed May 21, 2015 via mobile

Amazing food. I would definitely recommend the chaat platter to share. The Bahl pouri was the best I've tried in England. My wife and sister had the king prawn tower with coconut rice and said the flavours were superb. Halal food. No alcohol. Service exceptional.

1  Thank garlic1927
Reviewed May 19, 2015 via mobile

Food is just as good as Tayyabs but a lot more comfortable.

Bill came to 45pounds for three people which is reasonable. We were full from 3 starters, 2 curries and 4 nan breads Alhamdulillah.

Will return insha Allah.

Reviewed May 19, 2015

The food was great especially the saffron grilled mix was my favourite. The mock tails and desserts are flavoursome. I love the ambience of the restaurant, the deco was relaxing and very welcoming. It is slightly overpriced but you do pay for quality and taste. only critism is the lamb shank it lacks in flavour. Ferrero rocher milkshake and belgian waffles with ice cream is a must.

Reviewed May 12, 2015

Very nice to meet the friendly staff that always had a smile. Adam the manager/owner was so passionate about the dished on the menu which tasted amazing each dish had it own unique flavour. To top this all the afters menu was to die for as my daughters devoured the waffle.