“Adorable waiter, average food, better options on Upper st”
Review of Terra Sarda - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Terra Sarda
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Went for a friends bday meal, nothing special about the decor, just a homely kind of place. The food arrived in a normal time frame, no long wait. The bread basket has delicious salty crispbread that makes up for the hard chewy mini rolls that are best avoided. I had the baked seabass and clams with grilled veg.. thought the portion was small, quite bland, nice and moist but the clams were few and tiny, and the veg was simply red pepper and aubergine saturated in oil, nothing special. Very plain and too small for £15. My bf had an okay pizza that didn't really fill him up.. and one of our group ordered the fish stew which was cod, langoustine, clams & squid.. but it was purely sauce and shells, she had to ask for the cod, which to their credit they bought our a breaded cod fillet on the side, but it looked quite dry and bland, and the shells were a nightmare for her to get open, she explained her reluctance to force them but was assured they were fine, but the contents were rubbery and stingy anyway, plus it was hot and uncomfortable to use her fingers for this, no tools to do it with. Those who had pizza were frustrated by very blunt knives that they had to saw away with to slice.
The waiter was running the floor solo, he had about 8 covers and was run off his feet, but still attentive and smiley. He did a great job of keeping on top of serving everyone and did his best to speedily fix any issues we had. His English wasn't great but he's a sweet friendly guy, and joined in the fun and humoured us when we asked for candles in the tiramisu to sing happy bday for our friend.. he dimmed the lights and put on a cheesy birthday song as well! He was great and made the night run smoothly despite the lacklustre food.
Basically it's like homecooking by someone who's not an amazing cook.. it's nice but not restaurant quality.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I read some of the negative reviews and felt compelled to write, I even wondered if they have been planted by the competition?! I have been twice in the last couple of months, and I found Terra Sarda to be delightful, welcoming and unpretentious. I have been with friends and we have always experienced a really good service, attentive and friendly. The food is great, from the antipasti, some of which are served on traditional Sardinian cork plates, to the main courses: we have had the pizzas, suckling pig, and pasta with seafood, and we have really enjoyed the food and not been sick, and we certainly did not wait for hours for it. Booking online is a bit confusing because they do not confirm, they just get in touch if the table is not available, so basically no news is good news! The decor is a bit basic and could do with an update (which they are planning, apparently), but you don't go to a place like this for poncy food and minimalist surroundings. On our first visit the music was traditional Italian music, not too loud, while the last time we went it was more like Europop, and maybe a bit loud for a restaurant, but then everyone was in a party mood because it was Halloween, so it was an unusual, one-off night. We had the house wine which was really nice, and when we ordered some more they kind of upgraded it to a better one at no extra cost. Definitely a place I'll be happy to visit again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I try to support individual places like this rather than chains like Strada but this makes me wonder why. From the tacky sign outside to the awful 80s music to the bland food this was an experience to forget.

2  Thank David_OLondon
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've been there yesterday for a dinner with friends. The evening not only cost me 35£ worth of very bad food but also I had to pay 16£ for a taxi to try to catch my last train as the food came out hours after we ordered it.
1on recommendation as this has nothing to do with the real Sardinian food.

1  Thank Dani_88888
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Wonderful fresh and tasty Italian food. Forget the Italian chains with their frozen food and sauces and try this little gem. You can eat here for less and better food. Service friendly and authentic Italian.