“Great location but very noisy”
Review of Courthouse Hotel

Courthouse Hotel
Ranked #590 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Worceter, MA
“Great location but very noisy”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed at the Courthouse for six nights. It is a lovely hotel and I would highly recommend the location. The hotel is very attractive and the staff is very nice and willing to help with anything. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was great. The pool and the spa were also very attractive and the staff is so warm that there is no feeling of pretentiousness that some spas have. The continental breakfast was adequate. The only unfortunate part of this hotel is the noise. I have stayed in numerous city hotels so I wasn't expecting it to be quiet. I am fine with street noises, trucks and the typical siren activity. This was different. We had a room on the first floor overlooking the alley. There was the booming noise from nightclubs until 3-4 a.m. and once they closed the trash pick up and noise from deliveries began. It was very difficult for us to sleep. If you stay at this hotel - do not accept a room on a lower floor particularly if it is on the alley side. It is impossible even for a heavy sleeper to sleep through the noise. The last night I was so bad (a Wednesday night) that I was barely able to close my eyes. I gave this feedback to the hotel manager who basically dismissed it as typical city noise that I should have expected. I asked that they adjust my bill to provide some relief for the inconvenience particulalry because I had made the reservation and paid in full four months prior to our stay. The manager told me he would get back to me but I never heard back from anyone. Too bad, it left me feeling not so happy with the experience. I would recommend this hotel with reservation. If you choose to stay here, check out the room location carefully before accepting it and if your room is noisy the first night, demand that they change the room. It won't get better as the week progresses!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I would not stay here again.
The rooms are very small. Ours was also not very clean when we arrived.
They promised to move us to a larger room, but that never happened in the 6 nights that we stayed here.
The Manager told me herself that she did not care much about us not returning to the hotel. This is a very bad sign for customer service.
Location is OK, but probably in a too busy area.
There are other hotels in this price range that are MUCH better.
The "fitness room" is a joke. It also only opens very late in the weekends.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smash5

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Arkansas
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Located a block and a half from Oxford Circus, this hotel couldn't have been better positioned for our sightseeing plans. The only thing that we found lacking was a noticeable sign for the hotel. There is a Doubletree logo on a flag the color of the building and that's it. The entryway does not look like a typical hotel. That aside, the staff was very pleasant and helpful. Upon check-in we asked for a coffee pot and it was delivered right away. It was a pot that boiled water and arrived with two packets of Nescafe. If you want more and better coffee, there is a Starbucks across the street and I bought a 12 pack of VIA. A housekeeper removed the pot after a couple of days (we stayed for 6) and we just had to call the desk. I don't know why the pot was removed.

We are Hilton Gold members so we got an executive room so to speak. I don't know how it compares with a regular room. We also got free breakfast. However, even though we got free breakfast, it did not include the hot dishes. These dishes were ok but not great. (I helped myself to the hot items before I knew it cost extra.) The British really need to learn how to cook bacon longer. The coffee was great! There is a closet of a "Business Center", a room with two computers, one of which was not working but the internet was free. There is a printer there as well.

As I said, the hotel is in a great location. We were off the alley to the Paladium Theater and around the corner from several restaurant choices. Regent Street is a half block off and we took the bus often. Selfridges is about 5 blocks away. Carnaby Street is across the street from the hotel entrance. We bought a travel card for the tube/bus and it perfectly fit our needs. If you wait to buy the travel card from the railroad company, (we bought ours at Paddington Station) you will have 2 for 1 options for admissions to many of the popular sights. We did a lot of walking but always had the bus/tube for longer distances. We purchased an Oyster Card at the airport for travel to the city and back. The minimum amount is 5 Pounds plus 3 Pounds deposit which was refundable at the end of our trip. This hotel definitely turned out to be an excellent choice for us.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I relied heavily on the reviews on this site before making my selection on a hotel. My 22 yr old son and I stayed for a week and I can't say enough about the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff - they really made us feel quite at home and I can't think of anything that did not meet or exceed our expectations. The concierge staff (shout out to Michael) were very knowledgeable about the local surroundings and we went to them daily with questions and they always came through. Housekeeping provided an electric kettle and cups so we could have tea and coffee in our room. We did not use any of the restaurant and bar facilities only because we wanted to be out in the very nice surrounding neighborhoods as much as possible so we took breakfast at the Pret a Manger across the street every morning - all in all we had a fantastic time and the hotel really played a big part in that

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Hilton laqgs behind its competitors as far as quality and value is concerned. This hotel comes close but misses a few marks. Overpriced internet,beds old and creaky spring matteresses.
Bathroom is average. Overpriced breakfast.
Conceirge service is excellent.
This will be the last Hilton I stay at.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel for 2days and found this hotel to be fairly nice--very central location just steps from the Oxford Circus Tube station and can reach covent garden/west end by foot as well.
The room i got (King Room) was not bad, a comfy but slightly soft king bed. Bathroom was clean as well.
The perhaps only minus to the hotel was that I find the night time staff not particularly friendly nor helpful--day time staff seems a lot warmer and helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We found this to be an excellent property. The rooms were fine and the staff very helpful. Breakfast was expensive, but the cafe's near-by are not so. The hotel is located in a great shopping and tourist area with lots going on and an easy walk to theaters, and many attractions. We would go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family