“Lovely afternoon tea”
Review of Courthouse Hotel

Courthouse Hotel
Ranked #646 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We went here for the afternoon tea and had a lovely afternoon. Unlike some other places which may have another sitting of afternoon tea after you eat, we weren't rushed at all. The staff area friendly and service is smooth. The selection of teas isn't quite as extensive as other afternoon teas but they had all the usual suspects and favourites. The central location is great, easy to find and near Oxford Street for shopping before or after. Also, the place had a more relaxed and less snooty atmosphere that other afternoon teas at other hotels further west in London.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank LondonLassE1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I would definitly stay there again due to the location which is perfect. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The complementary tray was poor, just four tea bags and a couple of sachets of coffee, everything else, including the drinking water was at cost! The towels really need replacing as do the bath robes. No hairdryer or iron in our room either. Please consider removing the terrible lights outside too, half of them dont work and have blown down, it really looks rather tired from the outside. These comments are meant to be constructive to help you improve what really is a nice hotel but one which lacks a bit of TLC.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pippenney
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel has a great location, only one block from Regent Street where you can find all the shops and magazines, including the Apple Store. Carnaby Street, a pedestrian shopping and pub area is right in front of the hotel. Free wifi is offered in the lobby and it's very good. The breakfast has many options but I considered it quiet expensive, so I got what I wanted each day in a different coffee shop near by. This was my second stay in this hotel and I'll certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Quentin H, Front of House Manager at Courthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear cardosopat,

It was wonderful to have you back with us and thank you for sharing your experience of the hotel. I am glad you were able to make use of the FREE wifi in the lobby area. We are looking forward to when you return again.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had an overnight stay with breakfast. The room was spacious, but very dated (no hair dryer and towels have seen better days). Front of house staff were excellent, pleasant and helpful. A bit of a rush when we arrived for breakfast, free tables but none cleared, quickly addressed by staff who were working hard to keep it all ticking over. Hot breakfast tasted better than it looked, although after cutting 'fresh' bread I discovered it was frozen in the middle. Excellent location and 'yes' would return.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank P D

Dear PD,

Thank you for bringing to our attention some of the issues with your stay; we have taken note of these and have taken immediate action. Please accept our apology.

I am glad that our Front of House colleagues looked after you well and they will be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Very nice friendly and clean hotel with lovely food. In a great location for oxford street and theatres. Hubby had treated me for Xmas and it was in the perfect place for shops,bars and theatre. Staff were friendly and room was ready few hours before check in.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Clairew923_13,

I am so glad that your husband’s choice in Christmas present was a success. He did choose well!
We have shared your review with the team; thank you for your glowing report.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Having received a voucher at Xmas for a champagne afternoon tea we had to book over a month in advance due to the popularity at the weekend, so found ourselves there yesterday afternoon (a Sunday). I have nothing to compare it with, but we very much enjoyed the champagne, sandwiches, cakes and scones. On arrival we were told that we would be served egg maynonaise instead of nutello which was not available - thank goodness for that - as we do not consider nutello is in keeping with afternoon tea as a "fine dining" experience. I was a bit apprehensive as, unlike my husband, I don't have a sweet tooth but I found the cakes just right and exactly to my liking. I am not a tea drinker so I opted for a white coffee, but wished I had asked for a cappuccino, as this was my only disappointment - it came up black without cream, was very strong, and I had to share my husband's cold milk that came with his tea. On reflection I should have asked the waitress to change this, as she was very sweet but you know how it is, you don't like to make a fuss. We noticed that most people got up and left without tipping which I thought was a bit mean as we felt the waitress did her job well.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paris090

Dear Paris090,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us. Of course we would have changed your coffee for you without any fuss, I am sorry we didn’t get a chance to fix this only failing. We do hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

The hotel is only 15 minutes from Kings Cross by tube.and only 15 minutes walk to theatre land.Unusual setting with small entrance can easily be missed.Rooms were lovely very clean and comfortable.we stayed room only as there are plenty of places to eat out including breakfast before 10am on Sundays.Staff helpful and polite would definitely recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank leedsunited

Dear leedsunited,

I was delighted to read and share your review with our team. To help publicise our entrance, there is some small signage on either side of the doorway, a flag over the entrance and a welcome mat with our name embroidered in it. The entrance to the hotel is that of the former courthouse building, which holds a Grade II listing and can be missed. Once inside there are many other aspects of the original courthouse still intact, including a former courtroom, the waiting room and even the holding cells. Thank you for your recommendation.

Kind regards,