“Champagne Afternoon Tea in style”
Review of Courthouse Hotel

Courthouse Hotel
Ranked #646 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My wife received a voucher for Champagne Afternoon Tea at the Courthouse Hotel in London for one of her Mother's Day gifts.
Fortunately, it included me too and so, whilst in London we booked our table this week.
We had checked out the reviews of the hotel itself in advance and so knew that we were going to a very "grand" place for our treat. Our expectations were high that this was going to be a fantastic treat.
We were not, in any way disappointed. The ambience of the place reflected the history of the building's days as a real courthouse. With pictures of appearances in the court by various celebrities (?) such as Mick Jagger lending a little status to the place, we were interested in reading the newsy tit-bits of their reasons for attending.
The real purpose of our visit, the afternoon tea, did not disappoint in any way. Starting with a large, bubbly glass of champagne closely followed by a selection of finger sandwiches of our choice. Presented on a 3 tier cake stand with a fine selection of cakes,scones with clotted and cream and preserves. The choice of teas was ours from a large selection.
The staff were a credit to the hotel and were very attentive, making us feel very special.
My wife and I fully enjoyed her mother's day special treat.
Would have loved to have stayed overnight but with "budget bursting" prices, and my not being a middle east oil sheikh, it was not within my gift. Still, to round off a lovely day we stayed at the Oliver Plaza Hotel which was at a true Yorkshire man's price!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John W
Quentin H, Front of House Manager at Courthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear JohnWHull,

Thank you for your wonderful review, our team are very passionate in providing memorable experiences. I am so happy that you will have fond memories of your trip to the Courthouse!

We hope to be welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,
Quentin Hales

Write a ReviewReviews (1,547)

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Pros: the location is very good, just two minutes walk from Oxford St. tube station. Our double bedroom was more spacious than most in London.

Cons: the Courthouse should not be a five star hotel. Our room was very tired looking. The plug of the bath was broken, the shower head in need of replacing, the shaving mirror could not be used because the attachments were broken, the screen of the shower was too small and the bedroom itself had frayed cushions and a stained carpet. Add to this that the window overlooked what appeared to be an industrial sized ventilation system.

It would have been just ok for a business trip, but definitely not for a romantic city break.
The previous guests must have been smoking in our no smoking room because the smell of cigarettes combined with the amount of perfume to cover it up made the air unbreathable. We ended up leaving the windows wide open overnight. We pointed this out at the reception, but they were far too busy checking lots of people out to react to what we said.

1  Thank Jacob_UK
Quentin H, Front of House Manager at Courthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Christian J,

Apologies are extended to you for the challenges you faced during your stay. I have taken note of these maintenance issues and our team has attended to the accordingly. The hotel has a dedicated smoking floor and smoking is prohibited anywhere else in the hotel. Should somebody smoke in a non-smoking room, we work hard to free it of the smell and we are sorry that on this occasion we were not able.

Should we have the pleasure of your company again this year I trust that you will alert us so that we can take extra steps to ensure you leave with memories more befitting our hotel.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Pro's: attentive staff, excellent location just off Oxford Circus tube station, comfortable beds, quiet rooms during the night.

Con's: not 5 star by far, worn interior, shower temperature not adaptable, breakfast buffet not up to standard, WIFI did not work at all in the rooms.

All-in-all I could only recommend this for short business stays, definitely not for couples or family stays.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, I got one at the back of the hotel which was quiet at night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Wasbeer

Dear Wasbeer,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us and for bringing to my attention a number of items which need our review. Please be assured that I will be addressing these with the team.
On a brighter note, it was wonderful to hear that our service team looked after you and that you had a good night’s rest.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Went to London with my wife for a 4 day vacation, and we wanted a hotel in the centre so that we avoid the tube or cabs as much as possible. The hotel looked good from the pictures so we went for it. When coming the hotel certainly did not reflect a 5 star rating that was advertised, specially the entrance and the lobby .... The room was clean and not worn out much. The major complaint was the shower that seemed to be unable to have warm water, either a frozen stream or a gayzer .... Internet is free only in the lobby of the hotel otherwise is 15 Pounds a day or 8 pounds for 4 hrs. we the vicinity of 100s of restaurants i would not advise to take breakfast in the hotel but you will find a place of your liking in no more than a 5 min walk with bakeries, organic food places, Starbucks etc....Overall average for the price of 200 pounds per night, the best thing was the location the quality of furnishing and service is at the level you get in most 3-4 star hotels all over Eastern Europe.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms at the back of the hotel, much less noise since it is a not traffic road, on the fr...

Dear Histrionicsonthemove

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us but more importantly for taking the time to bring to my attention the issue with the shower, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. I have shared your feedback regarding the Lobby, breakfast and internet with our team.

Once again my sincerest apologies and thanks for your time in reviewing your stay.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Got off to a bad start by booking the wrong date by mistake on Lastminute. Tried to change the date. I was put through to Reservations who were unhelpful to the point of mild rudeness. I then asked for the General Manager who put everything right and couldn't have been more helpful. Rescued what could have been a bad review (It was, to be fair, my fault, but an honest mistake!). THe room was small but I have certainly had smaller and less pleasant rooms in 5* hotels. The price was good and the hotel itself was very nice. THe bar is wacky, and you can have a drink in one of the old cells in the courthouse. Interesting. I only ate breakfast which was OK but was principally a buffet. I am not terribly fond of breakfast buffets and I think a London 5* hotel should be able to do a good breakfast to order, not leave the egg & bacon to stew. OK but ot great. At least they will cook you fresh fried eggs to order. Overall a good hotel, very handily placed right opposite Liberty's. I will go again

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear RichardVUK,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am very happy we were able to overcome the reservation mishap and got you rebooked on the correct dates. Our Classic Double rooms are suitable for a shorter stay or single occupancy. The Courthouse Hotel has on offer, 4 larger room and suite categories these maybe a consideration for a future stay. Thank you for your feedback on the Bar and Breakfast, we have shared this with our team,

Reviewed March 9, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Courthouse in early March 2014 as we were going to Benares for dinner and I was looking for somewhere nearby. I booked a Superior Queen, as on LastMinute it was only an extra £20 on top of the basic double room. And I think it was worth it - the room was a decent size, with a huge comfortable bed, a massive TV and a really nice bathroom suite.

I guess the main thing about the hotel is the location - it is perfect, about 5 minutes from Oxford Circus tube, right next to Regent Street and at the end of Carnaby Street. If you're going to the west end, it's spot on.

We didn't try out all the hotel facilities, but the main bar was lovely - great cocktails, really good service and well priced for a London hotel. All the reception areas of the hotel were very well appointed, in fact.

I'll definitely book this hotel again when I need something around the West End, it's completely worth it for the standard of the hotel and the location. Price was around £200 a night.

Room Tip: The Queen room were were in (206) might have an issue with noise - the receptionist called us during...

Dear Paul C,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and in particular the Cocktails in The Bar. I do hope we may have the pleasure of your company once more.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have traveled to London 3 times and I've stayed at the Courthouse Hotel They have always delivered what they promised. Great Stay, Friendly Service, Excellent location and an awesome time. The price was great- We stayed over for Valentine's day. It was lovely. They went beyond our expectations this time to make us happy. We will be back. Thumbs up to the whole staff (Specially front desk and our lovely housekeeping crew). We will be back.
Ronny C