TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Scary

The show was great, but I must admit the scariest character is the ice cream man. Do not sit alone... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
eloisafry
via mobile
Disappointed

Unfortunately not worth the money. It is a two men show, not a big production, just few propts... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Paula535
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around London
from $33.01
from $21.13
from $64.17
from $125.44
More Info
All reviews fortune theatre ghost story sound effects minimal props jump scares jumpy moments male actors special effects small theatre great play intimate theatre west end great actors upper circle story line story telling matinee performance
Selected filters
Reviewed September 10, 2019 via mobile

I must start by saying that plays aren’t my thing - but someone recommended this and said I would be scared, so I gave it a go. The two actors were brilliant, but the story took a while to get going and I think I nodded off a bit in the first half. But there’s more action in the second half and people down in the stalls were actually jumping and shouting out in surprise! If you like plays give it a go, otherwise I wouldn’t recommend it. On another note, don’t get there too early as you’ll be queuing on a very narrow staircase or in a bar the size of an average bathroom.

Reviewed September 7, 2019

just letting everyone know this the most boring thing I’ve ever watched. Do not waste your 20 pounds on this show because they couldn’t even afford to put more then two actors in. The actors are so unengaging and boring. Seriously do not waste your money, so disappointed.

3  Thank Jslats99
Reviewed September 6, 2019

The Woman in Black is one of my favourite ghost stories and I was wondering how this was going to turn out in a play. I absolutely loved it! The play started a bit slow but as it kept going I got drawn into the story. It is only a 2-man play, so they player multiple characters both. I think they did this really well!! Also they had very few props to use, but the ones they had were well used! I liked using my imagination.

Some reviews say how the play isn’t similar at all to the film, which it isn’t. But it is very similar to the book written by Susan Hill which was there before the film of course! So this play is actually the original story of The Woman in Black. I loved it very much and would recommend this play to everyone who loves spooky stories and likes to use their imagination!

2  Thank Deemsch
Reviewed September 2, 2019

2 actors (3 if you include the Woman in Black who pops up a few times) and a few props make up the show.

Well acted and impressive play based on the simplicity of the production. Not scary but eerie, despite a slow start.

Does have the opportunity to be scarier using the theatre as a whole and a little too much verbal guidance to what you should be imagining rather than the play creating that for you. But enjoyable.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed August 31, 2019 via mobile

The whole experience in that theatre is enthralling. Matthew Spencer & Stuart Fox are excellent and drew me into the story straight away. I jumped each time there was a scary bit. Some of the audience screamed very loudly which enhanced the atmosphere especially for my teenage son.
I would definitely recommend for those trying to avoid twee musicals.

Date of experience: August 2019