“Quick service, excellent food”
Review of Ma La Sichuan

Ma La Sichuan
Ranked #1,358 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
Description: Mala Sichuan brings you the best in authentic Sichuan cooking, with truly exotic flavours designed to stimulate and excite the senses. Award-winning chef Zhang Xiaozhong, former head chef of Barshu and The Shard's Hutong, has created an exquisite menu, offering a balance of delicate and irresistible dishes. Whilst some of our offerings are spicy, our diverse range of traditional banquet dishes to sumptuous street snacks has plenty of subtleties for those with a gentler palette, each artfully crafted to capture the sweet, sour, bitter and aromatic tastes that make Sichuan cuisine so unique.
Cockfield, United Kingdom
“Quick service, excellent food”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I went with about 30 people from a nearby conference, in 3 groups. Many of the people eating in the restaurant with our group were Japanese. Kaku37 is clean with modern decor, although dimly lit in places - my colleague had to use her phone torch to read the menu. The menu is very extensive. We had assorted dim sum, spring rolls, tempura vegetables to share as appetizers and I had Singapore noodles with mustard and pork belly with mustard and hoi sin sauce as a main course. Various colleagues had pad thai, lemon chicken, thai green chicken curry - all were absolutely excellent and served quickly. This is definitely worth a visit, I highly recommend it.

• Visited October 2013

Preston, United Kingdom
“Poor Food and atmosphere”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We visited here based on the reviews on tripadvisor, and the fact we love Thai food. We've travelled all over Thailand for years so know good Thai food, I know this is a pan-asian place and not exclusively thai but they should know how to make the dishes on their menu. We had the grilled chicken yakitori for starters, this was ok, very average, the sauce was nice but some of the chicken was a bit chewy. I ordered thai green curry for my main, my boyfriend had the sizzling beef with black pepper sauce. My boyfriends dish was actually ok, I ended up having sharing some of his meal as mine was inedible. I've had thai green curry countless times now and have actually done thai cooking classes in Thailand to learn how to make it so I know what it should taste like. This curry didn't look like thai green curry when it arrived, it looked more orange than green. They had just put way too much spice into it or maybe too many chillies as it just burned my mouth off. I could barely eat more than a few bits of chicken because it was just too hot to eat. My boyfriend tried some as he can handle spicier foods than me and he could only manage to swallow one piece of chicken, which left him coughing and gulping down water! Thai green curry should have a bit of a kick to it but certainly shouldn't be extremely hot, that's usually the red curry or jungle curry. I ended up just mainly eating some of my boyfriends meal, my rice and then when we left I had to go to tesco next door and buy a pasta to eat as we were heading out for a night out so I needed to eat some food!

I explained my disappointment to the manager,and to be fair they did knock off the price of my curry, so that's the reason I've given them a 3 rather than 2. Although given they took off my curry the bill was still quite high, I think it was about £57 for two courses each and a couple of drinks. the restaurant itself did not have much atmosphere, and the staff weren't overly friendly.

I would not visit here again and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Visited September 2013
York
“Brilliant restaurant”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We walked there in the evening from the tube and saw no problems whatsoever. The street was fairly busy with traffic and the restaurant was easy to find.
We had a nice welcome and were amazed at the extensive and well priced menu with some unusual items too.
You can see into the very clean kitchens, the loos were clean and fresh.
Service was excellent and we were happy with the ' order to service time '
as the food is freshly prepared. Everything was beautifully presented, seasoned to perfection
and would certainly recommend.

London, United Kingdom
“Arrive and leave by taxi !”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Monday evening was empty at this trendy ,airy restaurant in this rather threatening area of London at night. The Salvation Army building is opposite , and youths loitered with intent smoking joints[no Police in sight as always] , so cross the road and run if this is your chosen restaurant !
Assuming you have not been mugged, the modern fusion restaurant has a good show of unusual dishes ,like SALMON HEAD. However, most of the dishes we had were of the sludgy variety and heavily chilied , hence my average rating.

1 Thank tony r
Wellington, New Zealand
“Enjoyed Dinner”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a very enjoyable dinner at Kaku 37 tonight. We had walked past several times without stopping. Finally we decided to stop in and we were glad we did. The good was very good and the service friendly. As a dumpling fan, I loved the Peking dumplings and the scallop dumplings. We will be back and maybe try the tempura next time.