“Average food, average service, filthy garden”
Review of The Plough

The Plough
Ranked #6,877 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dulwich's most friendly pub.The Plough is a true landmark, appearing on bus destinations across the capital. But the lovely people of Dulwich don't need a bus timetable to find their favourite pub. We think our seasonal pub food menu gives most of the pubs and restaurants in Dulwich a run for their money, while our line up of weekly entertainment and activities ensure that the place positively hums with life. We also welcome children until 6pm making us the perfect place for a quick refresher en famile.
London, United Kingdom
“Average food, average service, filthy garden”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I have been here on several occasions, the food is always alright - the usual burgers etc. the service is sloppy at best, the last time I visited (mid week afternoon) the two bar staff were sat at a table, well I say sat.. One was laying prostrate on a bench while the other was knitting! The one laying down reluctantly got up to serve me but wasn't rude in any way.

This seems to be the pattern here, lazy staff. I once asked the manager if someone could clean my table outside before I ate as it was filthy but was told, brashly, that it was the gardeners job to clean the garden and tables!!

Visit if you want, but you will, I guarantee, feel leaving underwhelmed, but like I said it's just about alright

Visited April 2014
3 Thank James L

Epsom
“Good burgers, spoilt by poor service”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

OK, so we went on a bank holiday Monday, but what was annoying was sitting at your table and see your bread basket waiting to be sent over and no one reacting. When we offered to take it ourselves, then someone responded. When our burgers were ready we could hear chef ring the bell and call "service", but the guy behind the bat still carried on emptying the dishwasher as if that was more important. The burgers were good - I chose chorizo, pork and pulled beef - very tasty.
Trouble is there are a lot of good pubs in this area and competition is intense.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank F1roger
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Average lunch.”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Ate here recently for Sunday lunch. Wish I'd chosen the burgers everyone else seemed to be ordering instead of the lunch I had.

Chose roast pork for my lunch. Immediately disappointed as spotted the sight of cooked frozen veg on my plate, believe this was referred to as 'seasonal vegetables' on the menu. Not really good enough when you're paying just shy of £12 for your lunch you expect more. Gravy was pretty much tasteless and they may as well not have even bothered with the crackling (three miserable sugar cube sized pieces). Soggy roasties. Meat was a good portion which was the only plus point.

Absolutely starving so ate begrudgingly, though would definitely order differently if I ever chose to go back.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank munchio
London, United Kingdom
“The Plough - cosy, homely pub on Lordship Lane”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a few hours here on a recent Sunday afternoon, trying a few weiss beers and pale ales and were impressed not only with the drinks selection (included a good range of wines and hot mulled wine or cider) but with the superb Sunday roasts.

It's a large pub with a few different rooms and you can help yourselves to board games if you're planning on staying a while.

We shared a portion of salt and pepper squid with lime mayo @ £5.75 for starters. My boyfriend had 21 day aged West Country beef with homemade Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, seasonal vegetables (root veg, cabbage, etc) and red wine gravy @ £13.50 while I had a half roast Shropshire chicken (also with homemade Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, seasonal veg and red wine gravy) @ £12.00, and we shared a side of cauliflower cheese (crunchy and cheesy – just right) @ £3.50.

All in all we were really impressed. This looks like a nice enough pub from outside, and it went way beyond our expectations.

• Visited November 2013