Tripadvisor
London

“Do not waste your time going”
Review of Hutong

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Description: Situated on level 33 of The Shard, Hutong serves the fascinating and diverse cuisines of Northern China and is based on the much-loved restaurant of the same name in Hong Kong. Hutong’s cuisine takes its inspiration from the dishes served in the imperial palaces of what was then Peking. Based on the ‘Lu school’ cuisine of Shandong Province, the menu artfully captures the subtlety and surprises of Northern Chinese cooking. A cocktail selection inspired by ingredients used in Chinese cooking and stunning interior, complete with traditional Chinese red lanterns and beautiful hand-carved wood-panelled ‘Moon Gates’, offer London diners a new destination restaurant with panoramic views over London’s skyline.
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

Do not waste your time going to Hutong. The service is extremely slow, and poor. Every one of our glasses was covered in dust and other dirt- as well as taking about 10 minutes to get the drink after ordering (despite it being very quiet).

Would recommend aqua shard way above Hutong.

1  Thank nicholascornwell
Write a reviewReviews (6,730)

Reviewed January 19, 2020

Its a great place and scores excellent both in terms of ambience and food. The set menus are excellent if it's your first visit. And we never felt at such ease with kids along. Best part is it's not that expensive.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed January 17, 2020

It was an excellent evening. Food was great, service fantastic, view extraordinary. The only thing we did not like it’s like they want to empty the bottle of wine by always pouring on our filled glasses.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed January 16, 2020

Our visit to Hutong didn't get off to a great start. We had been trying to catch one of the very few staff to try and order a drink for over 25 minutes. Eventually managed to get the attention of someone and she offered to take our food order. I had to ask if it was possible to order some drinks as we had not yet been offered. Surely the lack of glasses on the table should've been a tell tale sign.

Whilst trying to catch the staff for a drink it become quickly apparent that the restaurant was absolutely freezing, the strength of the air coming from the air conditioning was far too strong for diners to enjoy their evening. The two groups of tables next to us asked if we also felt cold after witnessing me popping a chunky scarf around my shoulders. Having tried for some time to catch a member of staff to complain, I was informed that there was nothing they could do other than move tables. As the evening progressed, diners were asking for their jackets, I looked around the room to find at least one diner from each table and some with all diners, with either scarfs or jackets on! Not acceptable.

The food was disappointing. It wasn't very hot and with the ice box that was the restaurant the little heat the food did have quickly disappeared. Don't waste your money with duck. The food is not worth the price tag. Once the plates had been cleared there was no offer of dessert or another drink. It took 20 minutes to catch a member of staff to get the bill. No apology for the slow service or the temperature of the restaurant, the waitress didn't even bother asking if we enjoyed our meal and evening.

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank JillH2353
Reviewed January 15, 2020

I visited Hutong with group of friends today. We arrived quite early as we’d like to have a drink in the bar before dinner. The waiter served us with wine glasses which are just been taken out from wash machine, totally wet and with loads of dust etc!! Completely shock!
We ordered roast duck, but it was been roasted beforehand so no crispy taste at all! The soft shell crabs is so little potion that we even couldn’t share among ourselves. Disgusting thing is the glass on the table is not clean at all even with rice on it!!!
I still remember the first time I visited Hutong which left me great impression. Year by year, the service is getting so much worse and also the taste is getting so much salty and heavy!
I believe I’m not gonna visit this restaurant again ever! And I’m gonna tell my friends around think twice before going there.

2  Thank davidcP2099YB