“Lovely hotel but over priced for what you get.”

Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection
Ranked #99 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Xenia for my birthday. Coming in to the room the overall image was good however my first impression was that the room was extremely small for what you pay for. The desk was of a standard size but was very cramped and close to the bed. The bed was a good size very spacious for two persons and the bed covers were good however the brown blanket out over the top looked a little bit cheap - reminded me of an inn in that aspect. There was a sofa in the corner but really no point of even having one as you can't even watch TV from that angle plus it was tiny you couldn't get comfortable on it. The touch screen pad on the bedside table is a good idea however it didn't work properly, was faulty so didn't bother to use it. The bathroom was ridiculously cramped. You literally walk into the toilet seat, twist your body at an awkward angle to get through the door and close the door in able to do anything. The sink was right behind the door with the shower in the back. This was really upsetting to see that the bathroom was of such small size. However the products included were lovely. At some point during the night I was freezing, the room was stone cold even under the covers, I had to call reception to send someone up and see what was going on which was really a shame because I couldn't get to sleep for ages due to this. Overall the room was ok for a night but for a long period of stay I wouldn't recommend due to lack of facilities. I would advise a mini fridge to be added in so at least you have somewhere to store cool drinks. However the hotel is clean, couldn't find any faults in that department with the room, fresh towels, fresh bed everything was spot on in terms of cleanliness. Only downside is the size & it being so cramped.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

What a delight! This hotel is very very nice; in fact, everything was just so lovely, I don't know where to start! From staff welcome & attitude to décor, finish and ambience, it was fabulous. My husband and I stayed in a classic room and I expected it to be small. It was indeed 'cosy' but beautifully finished - we loved the in-room tablet. We stayed 2 nights and were out on both and during the day so we only needed a place to sleep. The size was therefore not really an issue for us. The bed was very comfortable with beautiful bed linen and the towels were the fluffiest I've certainly ever come across. The amount of storage was limited so a classic room would present a challenge if staying for a few days; however, for a short trip or for a single person, it's absolutely fine.

We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant though did have breakfast one morning - good choice and very well presented. The Living Wall bar is lovely with an amazing cocktail list - it was so much easier to give the barman an idea of what I liked and I went with his recommendation. Good decision!

Everything is so fresh and clean because the hotel is new. I do hope it stays that way. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would certainly consider staying there again.

Room Tip: We were allocated a room at the back so, although no view, it was quiet.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel is ultra modern having only been open for a short time. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Décor is beautiful and stylish. We only had breakfast here but it was lovely, fresh and plentiful. The only slightly negative point is that the room was very small, although it was perfectly adequate for what we wanted for one night, it was a bit compact. However, bed was very comfy and everything was very clean and new. Customer service by all staff was excellent.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked two rooms for a one night stay and got a good room only rate. We were going to an exhibition at the Earls Court exhibition centre and this hotel was perfectly located for that.

The hotel is on a main road between two tube stations; Earls Court and Gloucester Road. It has recently been opened and all the public rooms are beautifully decorated.

We had booked a double and a twin, both rooms were small but the double was very, very small. As we were only going for one night we had taken a carry-on size bag however there wasn't enough floor space in the room to open it on the floor and we had to open it on the bed and then close it and put it in the wardrobe or we wouldn't have been able to get into the bathroom! There was less than a metre either side of the bed!

We went down to the bar and the barman was fantastic and the cocktails were worth visiting the hotel for, the reception staff were all lovely as was the doorman. We didn't eat in the hotel but we heard others saying that the food was good.

Breakfast (if not included in your room rate) is £25. I'm sure it's great but if you want to spend less you can get a very good breakfast for 4 people just down the road for about the same price. Try "The Patisserie" by Gloucester Road tube station.

If I got a really good deal I would stay again because of the location but I wouldn't recommend to foreign visitors coming in from Heathrow as the rooms will be too small to get your luggage in!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It might be very well spending millions of pounds on the fancy stuff, but if the basics are done, then whats the point?

The hotel looks fantastic, and the decor is great. But let me give you a couple of examples and you can take it from there and make up your own mind:

The staff are decked out in fantastic uniform, very smart. But, if they dont know what to do, or cant handle feedback/complaint then the look is wasted. Whats the point in having a doormen in a fancy hat if he doesnt open the door, or take your case down the steps.

The room was well decked out. Fancy Samsung tablets, great towels and lovely linen, but someone had forgotten to put glasses in for the water and there was no soap. do you really need a fancy donut when the bed is turned down, or would you rather have the basics?

The breakfast looked lovely, but if you want hot food, be prepared to wait, and wait! Whats the point of it all looking fancy when you order Eggs Benedict, but it comes without any Hollindaise, or you order Tea, but they dont bring milk or sugar. By know you are getting the picture. There is no substance to this hotel, you can tell it is has been designed well, but the service part has been ignored. Lets focus on all the fancy stuff, but inadvertently ignore the core stuff that you expect in a hotel, (milk with your tea, glasses with water etc).

Attention to detail was lacking. So, ripped carpets in the hall way on the first floor, you might expect to be fixed within hours, but stayed that way for the entire visit. Also, the room numbers kept falling off the door. The doors dont have closers on them (another small detail overlooked) so the doors slam shut. Bit annoying when the person in the room next door goes out at 6am. I also noticed that if you followed the fire exit signs, they led back to each other!.

Two other things I would mention. You get a lovely bottle of water in your room. But only on the first night of your stay. So when you ask for another it is £4.50. Ok, fair enough but I wasnt too impressed and when challenged the night receptionist he didnt handle it well. Is it worth cheesing me off for a £1 bottle of water (at cost). He would have been better just giving me a bottle to keep me happy. He did say he was going to do this, but later phoned the room to say he had none left, which was nonsense as they had them at the bar!

Small rooms, very small rooms. We werent too bothered as you dont go to London to stay in your room. But in the end, it was getting slightly annoying.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a larger room! And maybe one that has a door closer on it to avoid the sound of sla...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Lovely, modern hotel in a great location situated 5min walk from Gloucester Rd station, with plenty of places to visit within walking distance. Staff were polite and helpful. However, we have to agree with other reviewers regarding the rooms which were the smallest we've seen in any hotel. Although beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean, the design is just too small for 2 adults, with the double bed against 1 wall. We thought the bathroom was an acceptable size and again nicely designed, but overall the room really is a tight squeeze.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Price: 150e per night, for a 3 nights stay in a double classic twin room.

Location: Cromwell road, between Gloucester Road and Earl's Court tube stations (7-10min away from both). It's a nice, safe area in which I felt comfortable walking at 11pm being a woman traveling with a teenager. There are tons of hotels in this area and plenty of eating options.

Hotel: It's easy to see that the hotel is new. The reception area is nicely decorated and the staff members are polite and with a smile on their face every time you ask for information.
- There is a sitting room in front of the reception and a bar and a restaurant as well. The restaurant looked nice and it's a pity we didn't have a chance to try it.

Rooms: Are the rooms small? Yes, they are. But if you ever been to London before, you know the deal. You either stay in a small room or get ready to spend a min of 300e per night to get the kind of room you are probably used to.
- The room was nicely decorated and clean. You will find a flat tv, telephone and even a tablet. The beds were really comfortable and although our room was in front of the lift it was quiet.
- The bathroom was surprisingly nearly as big as the room itself. Everything was new and the l'occitane products were lovely (and stocked everyday).
- The internet worked properly, but remember to ask for the password while doing the check in.

Problems: When I went to do our check out, I found myself having to prove that a 20 pound breakfast bill wasn't mine. Obviously the signature was someone else's and there had been a misunderstanding, but it is an embarrassing situation when other people are queuing behind you while you are solving the matter. The signatures were checked and I was told not to worry that my card wouldn't be charged (and it wasn't) but still it wasn't a great ending to a stay that until that moment had been lovely.

Conclusion: Would I recommend this hotel? Yes, having stayed in London several times I think is an adequate option for those of us who want a central well communicated location in a nice hotel, without paying too much.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends