“Friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #90 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was somewhat apprehensive about staying at Hotel Xenia after reading some of the reviews on TripAdivsor but thankfully my stay was excellent. Admittedly the room I had was small but as a single traveller it was more than adequate for my needs. One of the major pluses was that the price of the room was half that I was quoted for the nearby Holiday Inn where the rooms are larger but the ambiance not close to Hotel Xenia.

Although small, the room was very well appointed with very modern furnishings and nice touches like the tablet to order room service and a superb bathroom. Of particular note are the free toiletries and large, soft towels.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful.

The hotel is excellently located and is within close walking distance of the Natural History and Victoria & Albert museums in addition to two underground stations.

I will definitely chose to stay at Hotel Xenia the next time I visit London.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I have always visited London at least three/four times a year, and always struggled to find an affordable hotel, in a great location. But this is what I got at this hotel when I stayed here. I only got home from London 3 hours ago and really wanted to write a review as I had such an amazing stay.

Location is amazing, 10minute walk to harrods, 5 minutes to the museum, 7 mins to Glouchester Road tube station.
The staff are so warm, friendly and enviting, a change from the usual London greeting that it made the trip different.
The turn down service was excellent, and the staff were more than welcome to assist myself and my friend with getting us a taxi, and bringing an iron upto the room.

The only slight downside is that the room was on the small side, but with the exceptional cleanliness, lovely decor, complimentary wifi via the Samsung tablet and comfortable beds.

I will certainly me making this my London Hotel, Amazing service, Amazing staff, Lovely and clean with great bedding making it a great find and setting an example to all other hotels.

• Stayed June 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm a regular traveller to London for business and social reasons and over many years have seen too many hotels, always looking out for that special place that I can make a regular stop.
I believe I've found it!
Set back from the noisy roads in London, Hotel Xenia is pure bliss from the moment you touch the first step towards the front door. Staff is responsive, attentive, efficient and flexible to accommodate requirements. The service is by far the best I've had from any hotel in the UK.
The living wall bar is simply beautiful and serves the most delicious cocktails and snacks. The restaurant and private hire facilities is to a high standard and you'd find it hard to be disappointed. No detail has been over-looked.
The hotel smells lovely, the lighting creates a perfect ambiance and the decor is to a very high standard. L'Occitane products in the room, a chocolate dipped strawberry awaiting me on arrival and even an iPad to order room service.
My favourite part of the visit has to be the towels and the hairdryer! Or was it is the shower? Or the perfect pillows that ensure a glorious night's sleep?
It's hard to put it all into words. I can't recommend this hotel enough. You won't be disappointed. It's pure heaven.

Lancashire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights in early June. I was attending a course over the road in the Marriott which was fully booked.

The reception / bar / restaurant and rooms are all very stylish and the Xenia is a very nice place to be for a few nights.

The staff are eager to please which is just as well since there are still some new hotel teething problems.

When checking in, I asked about the possibility of having a room with a bath. This invoked a manual process with lots of paperwork which seemed surprising but did indeed yield a twin room with a bath. The receptionist actually took me to see the room before committing which was unusual but welcomed.

My room was one of the smallest I have ever stayed in but this was not unexpected for London. My view was of an adjacent wall but I could see a bit of Sainsbury's if I stood right by the window. It was OK for a few nights but would not be so great for a longer stay.

The much vaunted tablet was very stylish but within a few minutes I'd turned it off and put it in a drawer to gain some extra space on the table. Be aware that the tablet is locked down to a limited set of hotel specific pages and general web use is not supported. So, it’s a nice idea but not very useful. I was glad that I had taken my own laptop.

The table and chair were stylish but the vertical gap between the seat of the chair and the base of the table was ridiculously small. I'm small but could not put my legs under the table. So, I had to sit sideways to the table. This was OK for checking a few emails but anything else would quickly become uncomfortable. So, this is definitely not a hotel to use if staying on business and needing to work at night.

There was a nice large (32”) Samsung Freeview TV with an accessible HDMI socket if you want to connect a media streamer or laptop. Bring an extension lead though since there were no power sockets close to the TV.

The kettle and tea/coffee making items were on a tray inside the wardrobe but there was no power socket there, so I had to plug the kettle in near the bed and take the kettle back to the wardrobe to make the tea. Not ideal.

The clock/radio/speaker supports 3.5mm stereo aux in and bluetooth (it has a USB port but I think that’s just for charging). It looked good but was tricky to operate. I had to download the instruction manual and still had to cycle the power to get it to set the time correctly. It has some firmware issues apparently.

The bathroom was stylish but the bath was short and very shallow. I'm small but struggled to get the water to cover me. Also, the shelf above the sink was very small. There's plenty of room for a bigger shelf so its a shame this was not provided.(Do the people who design hotel rooms ever stay in them?)

Service was very good. I had a problem with one of the electrical sockets (it fell off the wall!) but it was replaced the next day. One evening I found that housekeeping had not left any milk sachets. I called reception and some were delivered in less than 5 minutes. Also every evening there was a turn-down service (don’t really like them but not enough to stop it) and they also delivered a very nice little cake (I really do like them so definitely didn't complain).

One of the security guys on the front entrance was a bit over-keen at first and chased me through reception to the lifts. Now this is Kensington (hardly a dodgy area) and the lift can only be operated with a room key. I've stayed in some hotels around the world with armed guards and have never been chased through reception before. Still, they are taking security seriously I suppose.

I didn't use the restaurant as there are plenty of much cheaper options within walking distance and I like to get out in the evening. I also declined the £30 breakfast on principle.

So, cheaper than the Marriott and very convenient for functions taking place there. It is all nice and new and stylish but some things haven’t been thought through. Once the novelty and newness wears off, some of the impracticalities may tip the balance against it. Still, I enjoyed my time at the Xenia and would stay there again if I were on another course at the Marriott.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank kjw123
Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed for one night June 2013. Either a brand new hotel of very recently renovated but the hotel was truly immaculate (I could still smell the paint!)
Our room was 'executive' but tiny. It had a wee balcony overlooking the side road but one would never use it so why pay for it. Wide bed but short as the room was so narrow and the sleep quality was firm ( the pillows are quality synthetic, not feather)
The bathroom was also tiny but excellent shower and water pressure, L'Octaine products ect.
Staff were all very friendly and professional although breakfast service needs smoothing out but I put that down to fresh staff understanding new ways of working.
Location was right on the horrible noisy Cromwell Rd but the hotel is very well insulated from this. Quite close to Earls court tube and so easy to get into town etc. Cannot comment on value as it was a surprise trip but generally speaking a nice hotel if you don't mind small rooms

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before checking in and compare with others in hotel to see if you're gettin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank banffUk
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

A beautiful hotel. The rooms are small but the amenities more than make up for it! Loccitane products, simply the ultimate in luxury. But the best part of staying here is the service. I have stayed in the top hotels in London and nothing compares to the service here. We arrived at 7 am and by the time we returned our bags were already in our room. We got back from dinner at about 10 pm only to be followed by a knock from room service delivering complimentary desserts. Simply superb.my No1 for London trips. Superb location also near to Gloucester rd underground station.

1 Thank MarcLpl
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We recently stayed at the hotel and was welcomed by friendly concierge and reception staff. We had paid for a standard room and, whilst the standard was excellent, the room was small. I understand city hotels can be small. The carpet in the rooms are wonderfully soft and the towels are simply gorgeous. Overall a lovely hotel if you don't mind the small rooms. The location was excellent and within 5 minutes of an underground station.I left My iPhone charger when we left but after calling reception the concierge posted it back to me within several days at no cost ,great service.They have a great car parking arrangement at a reasonable cost this can be arranged through the concierge. I would highly recommend the hotel and we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple