“Feel Good Show - still smiling!”
Review of Top Hat - CLOSED

Top Hat
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was the best surprise of my recent trip to theatreland. I was looking to see something on Tuesday afternoon and as there wasn't much available decided on this. It was half price in the Ticket Booth in Leicester Square.
It is the best show I have seen in a long time. I had a great seat in the second row. The show is set in the 1930's - Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers starred in the film of the same name.
This is an old fashioned musical that shows up the inadequacies of modern shows - i.e Rock of Ages. The set was fantastic, the costumes beautiful - the men in morning suits and ladies in their beautiful dresses made me want to jump in the nearest Police Box and transport myself back to the 1930's.
I have never laughed as much at a show - the jokes were fast and furious and many still used and recognisable today. The music and songs were very recognisable and as for the dance numbers!!! The tap was superb!
It is sad that this show is due to end its run - I heard some of our American cousins saying that they hope it comes to Broadway as they would love to see it again. The audience loved it and gave it a fantastic reception.
The cast were brilliant - especially the lead - his comic timing was excellent. The butler and the Italian were hilarious.
I went to London hoping to see The Book of Mormon again. Next month I will be going to London to see this show again - and I would pay twice the price!

1  Thank Colm M
in 29 reviews
"tickets"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The energy never dropped throughout the whole show, this is definitely the one to see. Every one in the theatre was connected to the performers.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We saw the play the afternoon we arrived in London, and with front row first balcony seats, we had an excellent view of the stage. Acting, singing and dancing were first rate as was the pit orchestra, and I was happy to have heard that additional songs were inserted into the musical theatre version of the venerable Fred Astaire movie. I'd see it again given the chance.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The type of West End show that seems to have all but disappeared. Beautiful dancing, old style glamour, gorgeous costumes and of course those fabulous songs. I would have watched it again straight away. It is going on tour next year so I suppose that is a reason for closing but I really don't think it has been in London long enough. The West End seems saturated with adaptations of children's books or rather crude sounding shows and this was an oasis of fun, sophisticated and stylish adult entertainment. If you are in London before the 26th October, do go and see.

1  Thank rosebrid