“Amazing Anniversary Dinner”

Ranked #694 of 24,772 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
Description: The Clove Club opened in March 2013 in Shoreditch Town Hall, East London. The restaurant is named after the original supper club that brought our founders Daniel Willis, Isaac Mchale and Johnny Smith together in 2010. We serve modern British cooking – thoughtful, precise and elegant food in a relaxed and informal setting. At The Clove Club we serve a tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from across the British Isles, with ideas and inspirations from around the world. Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of wine making, with a focus on artisanal growers. In addition we also offer a number of pairings – classic and prestige wine pairings, as well as a soft pairing and an ambient tea pairing.
Reviewed October 28, 2017

My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary at the Clove Club while on holiday in the UK. We opted for the chef's tasting menu with prestige wine pairing. We were not disappointed! The level of service was impeccable. The food and wine pairing was inventive and very yummy. It is definitely a splurge, but we always splurge for our anniversary. I would highly recommend the Clove Club.

Date of visit: October 2017
Write a reviewReviews (758)

Reviewed October 20, 2017

Look, its good, interesting food and if the menu were 60/70 including the signature scallop dish I would be more constructive about it. But pushing 90 with that scallop its competing with a lot of restaurants that are more ambitious and accomplished, IMO. Two dishes, the scallop and the venison main were really very good in that they were compositions of layers of flavour that came together as a whole and had aspects that had me wondering about exactly how they made it. But as much as I enjoyed the green peppercorn foam/sauce with the venison, I would have left the venison in the sous vide a wee bit longer for sure. The other dishes were good, but not really special, and, coming from the South in the US, guys, give up on the buttermilk fried chicken as an amuse bouche coz, well, yours ain't the real thang. But hey, TCC is casual so easily accessible, service is very friendly and very attentive and I can see why people like it for "mod British" with a bit of a farm to table aspect. I just think that at this price my dinner at Texture the night before far exceeded it at a gastronomical level.

3  Thank 591rayf
Reviewed October 19, 2017

have eaten at the clove club three times so far once for lunch once for dinner and one more time for bar snacks.

Both times i ate food i opted for the full tasting the second time adding on the prestige wine pairing and juice paring. Out of the three times I enjoyed the most (and spent the most) was the second time with the wine pairing and the juice paring. The snacks were delicious and well seasoned compared to the first time and the majority of the courses being very delicious well seasoned and presented. The soft (juice) paring was most enjoyable for me as they worked well with each dish they were paired with, the wine on the other hand I do not have much experience with but my wife thoroughly enjoyed the offerings. The service was excellent from the beginning to the end (although we had to be moved to the bar at the end of the dinner) will hopefully come back when the menu changes a bit more.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed October 18, 2017

Great Food BUT completely overshadowed by the rampant commercialism of this place, which left a bad taste!:
1) Not allowed to book for 5 people, but OK for 6! (didn't want to waste a fee earning seat!) - and that's after six calls to book in the first place.
2) Had to eat at 6.15pm, to make way for second sitting at 9pm!
3) Charged for tap water!
4) Almost no wine under £50 a bottle
5) Waiter tries to 'Upsell' all the time, with no mention of prices of all the extras, some of which aren't even made clear they are extras!
6) 12% tip automatically added to the bill
I appreciate excellent food at appropriate prices, and have eaten in most of the 'best' restaurants in town. I also realise this is one of the 'hottest' places in town at the moment - but they are clearly trying to 'cash in why the sun shines', and if they continue like this it may not shine for long at all.

6  Thank DIB_OK
Reviewed October 16, 2017

While visiting London the last week of September, I looked up many places to have one nice dinner out on the town and came across an article listing The Clove Club as the #26 restaurant in the world. My fiance and I are big foodies and immediately after reviewing the menu online and the reviews, I booked us a table for a Wednesday night. I will tell you that this place gets booked up FAST. I was online and had a reservation for Friday night and within 20 minutes it got booked so we went with a Wednesday night.

We sat in the main dining room and you could see the kitchen staff working as it is all open to the dining room for everyone to watch and see the action happening. Our server was wonderful (she was from Spain) and I will tell you the service we had from every waiter, bus boy, manager, etc was AMAZING. The best service at a restaurant I have every had. We loved the fact that even the bus boy could describe in detail what was in a dish!

Do the tasting course- it was amazing to try everything and they accommodated to my dietary needs perfectly. Our favorite dish was the hot consume soup that they pour into a wine glass with 100 year old Madeira- that dish was out of this world good, I can barely describe it- you just need to go taste it!

Shout out to the assistant manager for excellent service at the end of our meal and walking us to the taxi with an umbrella as it was raining when we left.

Do not miss this place! Get a reservation NOW!

Date of visit: September 2017