“Fantastic food for good prices”

Social Eating House
Reserve with OpenTable
Social Eating House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #545 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Social Eating House is an informal and affordable dining experience in Soho with a contemporary bistro menu paying homage to the best of British cooking with international influences.
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fantastic food for good prices”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had the set lunch menue which was fantastic. Service very good. If you would like to eat something else than asian or steak house this is a perfect option. Hard to get a table.

• Visited May 2013

“Excellent! A new favourite restaurant!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Having experienced Atherton's offerings before at Maze and Pollen Street Social, I was keen to see what his latest venture has to offer. At first, the restaurant seemed quite small but the size worked well – some large restaurants have real noise issues but whilst the volume was enough to be buzzy, as a couple, we could talk easily and weren't distracted by others conversations. The menu was really appealling with steaks offered on the specials menu to even up the fish mains on the a la carte. There was a set menu that looked great but the a la carte is not too expensive either so we went with that. We shared a jar of the mackeral tartar first, which I thought was lovely and refreshing, served with lovely hot toast – to be honest, I would have that as my starter another time – a real bargain for the price charged – 10/10. We followed this up with the duck smoked ham egg and chips and mushrooms on toast. My husband had the mushrooms that came in a bag and the toast spread with a thick pate – definetely 10/10. My starter was very good – crispy soft boiled egg with some delicious spanish ham and half a dozen chips to dip into the soft egg. I'd score that dish 9/10. For mains, my husband chose the curried hake with baby squid and cauliflower which he raved about 10/10. I chose the plaice which caem with tasty braised lettuce, easily 10/10. For dessert, we shared the chocolate mousse and salted caramel icecream in a chocolate eclair – only potential critcism here was that the ice cream was too cold (hardly a crime) – made it hard to taste the salted caramel flavour but the mousse was devine 8/10. For me, the coffee is important to me – a good one is the icing on the cake and a bad one is a bit of a spoiler. Pleased to report it was a good one and the bill was pleasingly the right side of £100 so we were two happy diners that will return!

London, United Kingdom
“Better than the siblings in Pollen Street”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went there for lunch with a friend and totally enjoyed the food, service and ambience. Food were beyond the normal brasserie standard eventhough we had the set lunch. Service is friendly and efficient in a relaxed atmosphere.

Will definitely go back for the a la carte.

London, United Kingdom
“Very good food, but very noisy!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Been meaning to review this place for a while.
We ate there in the first or second week of it opening. Upstairs bar fab - unusual cocktails and lovely waitress. I liked that she told us when our table was ready downstairs. Beautiful décor. Food very good. Many staff in restaurant who didn't seem to know what to do and lots standing around. We were served by lots of staff - didn't see the same person twice. VERY noisy - couldn't have a proper conversation with my friends.
I hope these are/were teething problems.

• Visited April 2013
London
“Heaven on a plate.”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Paul Hood the head chef at Social Eating House, has worked under chef of the decade, Jason Atherton since the days of Maze. Now he steps confidently out of Jason's shadow and takes control of SEH. Wow, is a superlative I rarely use, but it is the most apt on this occasion. The location is Soho, so don't expect stuffy fine dining. The vibe is relaxed and warm, exposed brickwork and soft leather. The food is simply, WOW!!! There I go again but it really is. Whist mulling over the menu try a couple of jars filled with confit pork rillettes or spicy aubergine, served with hot, toasted country bread. Start with Mushrooms in a bag, sounds odd but is delicious. A medley of mushrooms served on a slice of toasted rye with a generous portion of cep puree. Mains are equally delicious with fillet of lamb so tender it melted like butter. Wow!