“Moreish coffee”

Ranked #10 of 684 Coffee & Tea in London
Cuisines: Australian, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: With two the cafes the original Attendant is Formerly a Victorian toilet, built around 1890 and mothballed in the 1960's. After laying dormant for more than fifty years, it was lovingly transformed into one of Europe's most unique Espresso & Food bar spaces. After two-years planning and restoration, the original porcelain urinals have become an inspired coffee bench with green seating to match the original Victorian floor tiles. Rated in the top 10 independent coffee shops in the city by Timeout London & Visit London and runner up Best Coffee Shop in London 2013.
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

This place is a real find. I had to go back a couple of times in one day because the coffee was so good. Food looked great too. Didn't stay but novelty surroundings were inviting. Go there.

1  Thank bandozrock
There are newer reviews for Attendant

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I love this place, either a coffee in the sunshine on the benches or sitting swinging your feet in an old urinal, seems a little strange but well worth the visit. I would say one of the best cups of coffee in London, location is superb, close to Oxford street but quiet enough to enjoy a relax and break from the city pace. My only negative is how warm it gets later in the day when busy. However is not to be missed.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stumbled upon this place when I did some research for best independent coffee joints in London.

The idea of drinking coffee in an ex-public toilet might sound like a very weird (and twisted) idea. I a no expert in coffee but I do love my cuppa, so I decided to check this place out.

It is pretty strategically located - about 10 min. walk from Oxford Circus station (take exit 5). Even though it is quite hidden, I managed to find the place easily using google map.

The verdict - it certainly lived up to its reputation and met my high expectation!!! Their latte tasted fantastic, and super smooth. We tried to find out their "secret ingredient' but was puzzled as they seem to use just a regular industrial strength coffee machine. So, the secret must have been in the quality of the beans used.

There are 4 more coffee joints on my "must try list", so I cannot give the "Best Coffee In London" title to this place just yet, but this is certainly the best I have tried so far. I personally preferred theirs to Monmouth's.

By the way, even though the place is very busy, the service was friendly and swift.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

As the name hints, Attendant is in a (disused) Victorian (men’s) public lavatory on London’s Foley Street. If that sounds weird, it is, and yet it’s also genius. The great thing about Attendant is that it’s kept most of the original fittings, incorporating them into the design. The result is a quirky, unique place.

For some, that would have been enough, relying on the gimmick alone to draw in the punters. Not, however, Attendant, which produces some fine coffee, up there with the best of them. It also offers a wide range of sandwiches and cakes, with an emphasis on quality and local produce.

Attendant is pretty small and, when I was there, it was very busy. However, a high staff-to-customer ratio, with a minimum three staff on duty during my visit, meant that everything was handled very smoothly. Ironically, for a café in an ex-public lavatory, there’s no toilet!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just a stone throw away from the popular Kaffeine, it's a marvelous little place. I myself have found myself walking right past it on occasion until I made the intention of going there. It's authenticity kitschy and just a glorious little gem that serves a fantastic cold brew (in the summer) that's in a glass bottle. An amazing soundtrack and friendliest of staff. They serve organic milk and soya is also available. It is on the pricier side but It's more value for money than a burnt Starbucks Venti at the same price.

Only about a 15 minute walk to Regent's Park or Oxford St.