“Best Indian in the area”
Review of Agra Restaurant

Agra Restaurant
Ranked #1,401 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Owners/workers very friendly. Generous portions. Great food. Will go as much as i can on a student budget which isn't much. I've been going to a lot of the Indian places in the area but i definitely found this one the nicest of them all and the people really are just so genuinely nice. I hate it when places are stingy with their lamb in a biriyani but this place wasn't at all. Sad to have heard they were closed but thankfully just reopened. Hope they get enough business now! They were extra nice to me seeing as I was a student a bit low on cash (literally didn't quite have enough in my wallet) and gave me some poppadom, naan and a drink for free and let me off for being a bit short on the bill.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We looked at Tripadvisor for the closest Indian to where we were and this came up as the best so we decided to give it a try. When we found the place, we saw it was empty - it was just before it was due to close after lunch. We were tempted to go elsewhere but luckily couldn't be bothered.

The guy who served us was lovely and so helpful. There were four of us - including 2 children and he advised that we would only need to order 3 lunch menus and there would be ample for all of us. How right he was :) He also kept us in good supply of naan and pappadums without charging extra.

The portions were a good size and the food really tasty so we would definitely recommend this restaurant. As previous reviews say, you wouldn't go for the decor but the food and service are both well worth it.

1  Thank PinkDiamondKT
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've been going to this family-run restaurant since I was a student in the mid 1960s and it has become a firm family favourite over the ensuing 50 years. So it was a great disappointment to find it closed for two years - and such a pleasure that it is now open for business once again.

The location is a couple of blocks from the main road and only a few minutes' walk from Warren Street tube station. It is a comfortable place and can accommodate large parties if you give fair warning. (There were 18 of us there after a wedding one year.) However, the main attraction is the consistently excellent food at reasonable prices. Our great favourite is the tandoori chicken, moist, tasty and sizzling on its bed of onion. Add a freshly baked naan, some poppadums to start with, and a bottle of Cobra beer, and you have spicy heaven! There are plenty of other yummy choices on the menu too. You won't be disappointed! And don't forget to ask the owners about the photo of Mohammed Ali (when he was still Cassius Clay) that is proudly displayed on the wall.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I had been a regular diner at the Agra restaurant upto my retirement. Further visits to London found this restaurant closed at lunch times. Things have changed with the son in law of the long time owner now running things after refurbishment work.
Great food with options of fixed price menu at lunch time, this being particularly good value.

1  Thank johnfc26
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This is ok for a standard Indian restaurant in the UK (ie not one of the more upmarket places, such as Cinnamon Kitchen). You know what's on the menu before you get there.....

Chicken Dhansak was tasty.